It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Blue Jays nest....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Out in my back yard inside the tree closest to the house is a birds nest. It belongs to a Blue Jay. The nest is low enought that You can see just over the edge and see the Blue Jay sitting in it laying on her eggs.

She would fly back and forth gathering more twigs and leaves too make the nest perfect for the baby birds. Over the last couple of days, what I can only assume is the daddy bird has been making an occasional appearance.

Today as I was watching the nest, and the mother sitting in it, the Dad flew up with food in its mouth and a baby bird popped it's head up clearly hungry. I watched as the baby bird was fed and the dad eventually left on what I assume is another quest to find some more food.

I had no idea that that the baby bird had hatched. I had always assumed that after it hatched I would hear it chirping, but it did not make a noise untill after food was brought to it.'

These are exceptionally calm birds. Usually Blue Jays attack you if you get any where near their nest but these birds let you get really close. I can stand on a chair and get within about 3 or so feet of the nest even with the birds right there!

It is quite neat. I will have to watch for the day when the baby/babies try to take off on their first flight.

I have never been able to get this close to a nest while it was still in use so this is a really neat thing for me to see, and I thought I would tell you about it.

Has anybody else had an opportunity to watch such a neat thing first hand? I would love to hear about it if you have.

Nature truly is a beautiful thing my friends....

[edit on 16-5-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

When I was a kid we had a Robin that would lay her eggs in a nest she would build the same place every year on top of a ladder hanging on our tool shed.
I would get to see the babies from eggs to flying away for a number of years. Really missed her the first year she didn't come back.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

oh that is cool, I am hoping these guys come back next year too!.

I wish I could get some pictures but the location in the tree makes it so hard because there is just to many limbs and leaves in the way to get a decent picture.

I am curious did any of your birds ever not make it after they tried to fly off for the first time? I ask because I have heard that if they don't make it then they are just left on the ground to die and that would be sad!:shk:

join