It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very Cool Psychology Experiments

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Power_Semi

Yes he's got a very thorough understanding of human psychology.

Derren Brown states at the beginning of his Trick of the Mind programmes that he achieves his results using a combination of "magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship".
Using his knowledge and skill he appears to be able to predict and influence people's thoughts with subtle suggestion, manipulate the decision making process and read the subtle physical signs or body language that indicate what a person is thinking.

Of course he uses techniques like NLP, trance inductions,hypnotic anchoring,emotion transfer,pacing and leading etc.. but thats all part of the fun.
Derren's use of NLP on Simon Pegg (see above post) is a joy to watch -as psychological illusionists go, he's the best there is.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
reply to post by infobrazil

One could argue that these experiments viewed here in your post have been studied, taken to heart and are currently in use by the US Government as as Modus Operandi of both the Congress and recent and current Presidential Administrations as well as government on the state and local level as a means of getting away with the things that they do such as the bailouts/stimulus deals, control of GM and Chrysler.

The conformity experiment and conclusion of the good not speaking out against the bad in the prison experiment forming the basis of my statement. The old adage of all it takes for evil to succeed is for the good to do nothing.

yes and to take your last paragrpah a step further.....to marginalize/lable the "good" behavior (protestors standing up to corruption) as crazy ....racist...or something to discredit them ...and then for the MSM to broadcast the "good" behavior w/ these negtive connotations to a larger viewing audience (thru media) to make it appear crazy, unstable, racist,etc thus lowering the momentum , potential, chance ,etc that the "good people's cause" will gain LARGE enough traction..... COMBINE THIS

......with people's nature (during a crisis financial/economic) that they want to believe our leaders have the answer) and this provides another layer of psyhological LEVERAGE to ENSURE good people to nothing

manipulating human pschology thru "weaknesses in emotion, nature and perception" is the most under-rated and over-looked and least understood tried and true method used for elite's to bend us over.....

[edit on 17-5-2009 by cpdaman]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Power_Semi

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
SNIP

I'm sorry but Derren Brown is a magician, nothing more, nothing less. What you are watching on this video is a magic trick.

He does not have special powers, he very cleverly wraps a branch of magic called mentalism around NLP, etc.

Do not believe everything that you see on tv.

Really you are unfamiliar with my backround or posts then.

I constantly tell people to beware of TV images in Magazines etc etc....

I dont Have or watch TV lol... so how could I believe what I saw?

What Darren Brown Does is the same as the experiments shown above,

His shows, are real, live and all that happens unlike optical illusions and magicians are based on bypassing the critical mind and accessing and implanting or suggesting to the subconscious mind, the belief part, his desire of how he wants you to think, see, remember etc.

He has no rubber bands, he really does walk on the broken glass, it is not sugar glass, he really can count very quickly, he really does use the peg system etc for memory feats,

The only illusions he uses are ones he makes his "audience" and "participants" generate in their own minds.

Whera's Chris Angel etc does not make you hallucinate that he is floating, he has hidden wires etc...

Learn to tell the difference between an externally generated illusion and an internally created one

Kind Regards

Elf

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Great thread, star and flag!

Here's one with a little girl being abducted screaming "YOU'RE NOT MY DAD", while people walk by and don't do anything.

Everyone walks by except the two black guys and a mexican at the end, and they were about to kick his @$$!!!

[edit on 17-5-2009 by breakingdradles]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by breakingdradles
Great thread, star and flag!

Here's one with a little girl being abducted screaming "YOU'RE NOT MY DAD", while people walk by and don't do anything.

Everyone walks by except the two black guys and a mexican at the end, and they were about to kick his @$$!!!

Except those were the only ones where she said "someone help me you're not my dad; someone help me". Piss poor experiment.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

I forget the name I am very tired no sleep for over 24 hours now, and ALL Natural except coffee before people infer. I am sure it was Mildram not Nildram anyhow similar case.

A well dressed man in a suit, briefcase lays down in a busy street and pretends to be unconscious of dead.

The next day or later that day the same man dresses an Tramp looking scruffy, smelling.

The experiment was to see the difference in how long it took for bystanders or rather pedestrians to help. Offer assistance or check if the man was well.

I am sure most people can already have a rough guess.

Look it up/search it is amazing.

The Experiment you show above was actually triggered by an real life event.

In a green lawned area between two blocks of flats in I am sure New York, maybe Washington an Woman was attacked, and beaten and murdered.

But the murderer did not do it quickly and she fought and screamed much indeed.

Many people put their heads out of the windows, from their flats/apartments to see what was happening, all the while this lady was screaming and fighting off the attacker.

When many people looked down opening their window though they saw others doing the same.

So no one actually called the police.

In the police investigation afterwards Psychologists were intrigued as to how happened, and it kick started a lot of Mildram, Nildram's and others work, esp in group behavioural dynamics etc.

In the case of the murdered lady when interviewed there was the small percentage who were honest and said they were scared to get involved or "didnt want any hassle/trouble" (just to pick up a freaking phone!!!) but most said they didnt do anything as they assumed somebody else would or had already, that is call the police.

This is very indicative of our belief systems, and how even false ones control us when we have evidense to the contrary, that is we know the behaviour is "bad" for us or others, but as it is a beleif it is difficult to change.

Even though she kept screaming and fighting very loud indeed for 10-15 mins the initial choice/belief was not overiden by one out of if memory serves me right (over a 20 yrs ago read it so sorry for errors) 60-90 witnesses.

Very similar to the video as shown above with the fire in the interview when people are alone, or in a group and how they respond.

WE should ALL take REAL note of this, as I was trying to say earlier, this Sheeple or deferred responsibility habit of humans is the main weakness Nutters and people like Hitler took advantage of.

Tragically though the poor young lady was strangled I think to death just a few yards from many people who could have helped her, one thing did come from it, a greater understanding of human dynamics and the mind, which has helped many people since, And probably saved many many lives.

An unwilling hero in a way.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The MIB video is the most truthful about our nature
regretably.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thanks OP it was good to revisit these cases. S&F

I always wanted to see a repeat of the BBC2 show The Experiment, but alas it's become teaching material and now commands a price of £200. However there is a great site dedicated to The Experiment. It was an update of the Standford Experiment, with very interesting differences, such as a revolution by the prisoners. It's a fascinating story I that I think exposes differences in the minds of differing nationalities.

www.bbcprisonstudy.org...

there's also a great German fictionalised version of the Standford experiment - Das Experiment, obviously they use a lot of artistic licence but they had to to make it an entertaining film. I wish I was a competent uploader coz I have a copy around somewhere.

www.youtube.com...

Thanks to the other posters too for the additional info.

That church thing was very wierd and compelling. A demonstration of how ritualistic and tribalistic gatherings can be manipulated to produce a herd mentality and mirroroing. With the help of course of those 'happy chems' people produce in such places. However much i find this kind of almost mass hysteria disturbing in terms of people control I have to admit those people probably went home happier and more revitalised than they had for weeks prior.

In regards to the Mirror box therapy it can also be used for phantom limb pain, a problem with as much as 80% of amputees apparently.

www.youtube.com...

There's one other experiment that I've had a quick look for, perhaps someone else can post it. The scenario is a student comes to a reception to apply to join a study. The lady bends down to retrieve a form and disappears for a moment. The receptionist is switched and stands and gives the form to the student who does not notice the change.

In closing I have to agree that Derren Brown is stunning. The way he got those people to rob the securicor van was amazing.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Yes he's got a very thorough understanding of human psychology.

Derren Brown states at the beginning of his Trick of the Mind programmes that he achieves his results using a combination of "magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship".
Using his knowledge and skill he appears to be able to predict and influence people's thoughts with subtle suggestion, manipulate the decision making process and read the subtle physical signs or body language that indicate what a person is thinking.

Of course he uses techniques like NLP, trance inductions,hypnotic anchoring,emotion transfer,pacing and leading etc.. but thats all part of the fun.
Derren's use of NLP on Simon Pegg (see above post) is a joy to watch -as psychological illusionists go, he's the best there is.

NO - HE DOESN'T!

He performs magic tricks, there is no NLP or mind manipulation going on at all.

He is performing classic billet switches, but because he says he's influencing the persons mind that's what you believe and you don't even think to compare it to exactly the same trick that a stage magician performs.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Power_Semi

SNIP

I'm sorry but Derren Brown is a magician, nothing more, nothing less. What you are watching on this video is a magic trick.

He does not have special powers, he very cleverly wraps a branch of magic called mentalism around NLP, etc.

Do not believe everything that you see on tv.

Really you are unfamiliar with my backround or posts then.

I constantly tell people to beware of TV images in Magazines etc etc....

I dont Have or watch TV lol... so how could I believe what I saw?

What Darren Brown Does is the same as the experiments shown above,

His shows, are real, live and all that happens unlike optical illusions and magicians are based on bypassing the critical mind and accessing and implanting or suggesting to the subconscious mind, the belief part, his desire of how he wants you to think, see, remember etc.

He has no rubber bands, he really does walk on the broken glass, it is not sugar glass, he really can count very quickly, he really does use the peg system etc for memory feats,

The only illusions he uses are ones he makes his "audience" and "participants" generate in their own minds.

Whera's Chris Angel etc does not make you hallucinate that he is floating, he has hidden wires etc...

Learn to tell the difference between an externally generated illusion and an internally created one

Kind Regards

Elf

No, you are completely wrong, Derren Brown is a magician, he was very well known as a card magician before he moved over to mentalism - search for his video "the devils own picturebook" or look for his original works that were removed from later publications of his books that tell you EXACTLY how his "mind reading" and "mind manipulation" is done.

The 2 tricks that you'll be able to find on various torrents are called "Reminiscence" & "Lift" and these 2 form the basis for a massive number of the tricks that he does.

They are the cornerstone of 80% of his "mind control" performances, anything involving reading someones mind or controlling it - they are simple, but very cleverly disguised magic tricks.

Ask me about any performance he's given & I'll tell you how he did it.

For example, the granny playing poker where she correctly tells which card the girl is thinking of from her "body language" is using a marked deck - watch closely, out of sequence with what happens earlier, the granny puts down her card first (the one she thinks the girl is thinking of) & then Derren asks the girl what her thought of card was - she simply looks at the marked card that Granny has put on the table & names that card, so it doen't matter which card granny choses, it will always be right - it's a reverse illusion - you're watching for granny doing something when really you should be watching the girl.

Similarly in the same show granny manages to "read the body language" of a bloke & seperate all of the cards into 2 piles of high & low cards - this is a version of "out of this world" which usually concentrates on seperating the cards into red/black - it was once performed on Winston Churchill & had him completely fooled.

It looks impossible, but is nothing more than a simple illusion.

Predicting which hand the coin is in is simply a rework of an anceint trick by Anneman, the one where he makes a lapdancer think he's touched her is another anneman trick, later rewritten by Steve Shaw aka Banacek (called psychokinetic touches & available from any magic shop).

The whole thing is just a load of traditional magic presented in a different way to get gullible people to believe he's doing something to manipulate peoples minds.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

lol don't be silly his MAGIC is MENTALISM, he is using the classic magic tricks combined with the skills of oratory. showmanship, confidence, etc - he also throws into the mix a little NLP (some of it works some of the time), hyponosis, etc as well.

To say he does magic or he does science or he does psychology is woefully underestimating the complexity of the human brain
Yes it's all 'tricks' but then so is everything in life, he's amazingly skilled at 'playing people' and thats what he does.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by miragezero

LOL, watch again smart guy, she says it each time!

The first guy with his kid just walks by and HIS kid turns around and looks as she says it!

Can you imagine that car ride home... "I'm sure she's OK son, stop crying."

EDIT: to ask if you even watched it after reading what I had to say about it? Obviously not as watching it again, she says it over and over again.

Sorry I crushed your idea of what white people would do to the point that you blatantly lied about it, or didn't even watch it, just posted and now look like a doof. You're just trying to get others not to watch it, like the person who stared your post. That is unless they also watched the video where she said "YOU'RE NOT MY DAD!" and "HELP ME!" over and over but also didn't want to accept the facts!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Kind of related. Heres a video of Darren Brown doing people swap.

Pay close attention to the person who first asks for directions, a quick distraction of the mind and you can get people to accept a reality.

Another interesting experiment he does involves putting a bright yellow circle around a "lost wallet", for some reason even though it sits out all day, noone dares touch the wallet in the yellow ring.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Thank you Nature Boy. I thought it was a joke or something. I have never seen a church leader presenting such SWAY over the congregation before. I thought it was from a movie or comedy or something. Although I have heard of speaking in tongues and snake handling I have never seen One leader convince a whole entire church to act so amazingly.

It is scaring the # out of me. Scary scary video.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
A funny little story relating to the human psych:
About a year ago a local paper ran a story about a man replacing the doors through-out his house(a slow news day i know).
The 6 doors he removed were still in pretty good nick,so rather than take them to the dump he put them at the end of his drive with a sign saying"Free doors to whoever wants them,just help yourself"
2 weeks later the doors were stilll there and his wife had had enough,she took his sign down and put her own up:"Doors for sale £10 each"
Low and behold the very next morning all 6 had gone.

When the doors were free nobody wanted them,but as soon as the wife had attached a value to them they were gone!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by elephantstone

When the doors were free nobody wanted them,but as soon as the wife had attached a value to them they were gone!

I believe it was Oscar Wilde that said :

" Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing "

How true indeed.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by elephantstone

Maybe people thought it was a joke or smth? I know I would've..

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by elephantstone

The underlying construct for this phenomena is theorised to be cognitive dissonance, simply put, people don't see how they can get a free door, so they think it's suspicious - not on a conscious level per se, but simply while processing what they're seeing (a free door).

Here's a description of an experiment by Festinger (quoted from wikipedia's cognitive dissonance page):
Summary: Students like boring tasks more when they get $1 than when they receive $20, when they have to excite another person about the task.

Boring task experiment

In Festinger and Carlsmith's classic 1959 experiment, students were asked to perform boring and tedious tasks (e.g. turning pegs a quarter turn, over and over again). The tasks were designed to generate a strong, negative attitude. After an hour of working on the tasks, participants were asked to persuade another subject (who was actually a confederate) that the dull, boring tasks the subject had just completed were actually interesting and engaging. Some participants were paid $20 for the favor, another group was paid $1, and a control group was not asked to perform the favor.

When asked to rate the boring tasks at the conclusion of the study, those in the $1 group rated them more positively than those in the $20 and control groups. This was explained by Festinger and Carlsmith as evidence for cognitive dissonance. The researchers theorized that people experienced dissonance between the conflicting cognitions, "I told someone that the task was interesting", and "I actually found it boring." When paid only $1, students were forced to internalize the attitude they were induced to express, because they had no other justification. Those in the $20 condition, however, had an obvious external justification for their behavior, and thus experienced less dissonance.[6]

Festinger, L. and Carlsmith, J. M. (1959). "Cognitive consequences of forced compliance". Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 58, 203-211. full text

Bit boring to read maybe
but the implications are very, very interesting.

[edit to add summary]

[edit on 18-5-2009 by scraze]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by scraze

Deferred gratification is a truly amazing thing, it's be proven to effect ants, bees, sqiurels, apes and all manor of other living thing. It must have developed early on in our neural systems which means it's probably buried fairly deep.

Those people were probably filling the bordom with day dreams about what they're gonna do with their twenty dollars
Also it's sure that the brain rates things on how useful they are to us, the mechanism behind this is very complex but even on the most basic subliminal levels people perform actions and make choices which best serve their self interest (of course, sometimes it's more important to look generous than to get the biggest slice of the cake, it's very hard to quantify anything like this enough to do a rational study)

I would love to see a study done on people in a dull job, how ever over time they learn to shut off all unneeded functions - i worked in a metal bending factory once (yep, thats ALL they did) and it was so obvious anyone who had worked over 5 years was a robot, barely speaking or moving apart from to perform their function. Those who had been longer than a few weeks were skitish, seemingly fairly robotic for long periods of time -certainly manually robotic before they became communicatively robotic before snapping out of it for a period of time. Those short lived few i saw like myself who realized that it wasn't for us found it hard to keep repeating the dull task, we would chat or day dream and do things wrong.

I always wondered what the biological engine for this was, would love to see some science data but alas studies that take more than 5 years to display any data very rarely happen, certainly if they're not going to result in anything they can sell.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
YESSS! I love this stuff! Im a huge psychology nerd. Thanks for posting! S&F FOR YOU.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join