It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Primate Fossil Could Be Key Link in Evolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Primate Fossil Could Be Key Link in Evolution

abcnews.go.com

The fossil, of a young female that probably resembled a modern-day lemur, is described as "the most complete primate fossil ever found." It is small -- with a body about the size of a raccoon -- but it has characteristics that suggest a relationship both to primates and humans.

It has, among other things, opposable thumbs, similar to humans' and unlike those found on other modern mammals. It has fingernails instead of claws. And scientists say they believe there is evidence it was able to walk on its hind legs.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Every day more pieces are added, filling in gaps in the evolution of species. This is just one more fossil that is helping to solidify the theory of evolution. Not to be confused with the term evolution, that has been proven to be a fact. But the theory is a collection of those facts, presented in the form of a theory.
Sorry for the inside joke but if you have read this thread, you will know what I'm talking about. hahaha

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Interesting article nonetheless.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I think this kind of stuff is great!

Only problem with the "missing link" theory is that they won't find the missing link on THIS planet ;-)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Yes they will. It is here, trust me.
evidence? Feel free to U2U me.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

Very nice. I have wondered the very same thing and I believe it has been proposed in some circles. I think I have seen a discovery show on the subject that current humans were planted on this planet and that is why there seems to be such a gap between us and primates(mostly brain capacity).

Would be very interesting if that were true. We would be like their ant farm. They place us here as an experiment or LOL a bet between two wealthy aliens. Think of it like Trading Places on a galactic scale. Alien versions of Mortimer and Randolph Duke. Betting against each other over the success or failure of humans on a planet that they did not evolve on.

Randolph Duke: Pay up, Mortimer. I've won the bet.
Mortimer Duke: Here, one dollar.
Randolph Duke: [chuckling] We took a perfectly useless species like humans, and turned them into a successful species.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Well I wont call it a missing link. There is just not enough in the geological record yet to try and unravel the primate history let alone our own developments.

Good find but for now the verdict is still out.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

Another missing link. How many is the count up too now? Seems like every few years there is a new fossil found that is the missing link. Whatever, another feeble attempt to avoid the truth. But I guess you can't get grant money for Bible stories. One wonders how all these "missing links" survived ( what is the latest therory? ) the meteor that wiped out all life billions of 'wasted tax dollars' years ago. (See you folks are making me a better writer, did that last line make sense?)
I have been hunting fossils for a while now, I do not buy any of the missing link therories.And that has nothing to do with my religious beliefs.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grayelf2009

I have been hunting fossils for a while now, I do not buy any of the missing link therories..

Yeah,I get what you're saying.
I've been trying to split the atom recently too,without any success..(Maybe I need a sharper axe)
I bet they made it all up.. 'atoms' pah! ..
'evolution' sheesh!..

I guess we'll have to wait a few more days till the documentary is out,and what the experts have to say.
(Next conspiracy is that Sir David Attenborough has been 'gotten to'
)
en.wikipedia.org...

By the way,in reference to a comment in the link below,he was Knighted for his unstoppable services to science,not born into 'aristocracy'.
(50yrs 'on the job' .blummmmmmeeee!!!..
)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Keep watching this or that space..

[edit on 17-5-2009 by AGENT_T]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I have a feeling this will just be nothing.

Just someone jumping to a conclusion.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

"Very nice. I have wondered the very same thing and I believe it has been proposed in some circles. I think I have seen a discovery show on the subject that current humans were planted on this planet and that is why there seems to be such a gap between us and primates(mostly brain capacity)."

So we just HAPPEN to share > 95% of our genes with chimps? Very clever of the aliens to plant a species that can barely be distinguished from the locals.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I'm looking forward to the Attenborough documentary. I know he's just a patsy for the 'evolution' conspiracy. When will they disclose that we really are descended from Aliens sent by God?

Here's a few more links to pad out the ABC news link...

Da rwinius Massilla

German Fossil Found to Be Early Primate

Messel Shale Pit

Darwinius masillae:
Missing Link fossil discovery

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

There are several missing links, the most famous is the link to humans, but that is not the only one.

And not all places are good to find fossils, you may look for years and not find anything, while in the place where I live I just have to dig some metres (or look into any excavation for a new building) to find dozens of fossils, mostly sea shels, but that was that way that I found a carcharodon megalodon tooth.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

"Very nice. I have wondered the very same thing and I believe it has been proposed in some circles. I think I have seen a discovery show on the subject that current humans were planted on this planet and that is why there seems to be such a gap between us and primates(mostly brain capacity)."

So we just HAPPEN to share > 95% of our genes with chimps? Very clever of the aliens to plant a species that can barely be distinguished from the locals.

I was being fecicious. I guess the whole trading places joke just wasnt clear enough.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by iamcamouflage]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I think it is a great discovery and I hope that extensive insight into our past can be gleamed from it.

Don't forget though, that this is ATS.

Pretty soon there will be creationists here saying that Satan planted the fossil to lead people astray.

new topics

top topics

join