Best weapons to own when TSHTF?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
well in the UK guns are banned so its hard and illegal to have them but if civil war came i am sure they would be going around easily to buy one however if i couldnt get one i'd stick to my trusty weapons like knives, machettes, sling shots, blow guns and homemade chemical weapons maybe even traps. i'd advise you not to follow me.

I'd be the one constantly moving probally in a group/gang so a good weapon would be consealment and be able to go around helping people to earn trust. abit like the legend of robin hood. the village that supported him greatly.

wow bit off topic but hey hoe. i am also watching texas chain saw massica so its hard to concentrate

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I know there are many who fear some type of scenario where society breaks down and mass confusion ensues with gangs of zombies attacking you and yours.

When I think of weapons I would primarily think of something that would help me survive and take game for food. One of the main impressions I always get when I read posts like this is that you should stock up on weapons whose sole purpose is to kill people, not game.

Sorry, but if you start shooting at me I will shoot back and I have handled firearms all my life. My semi-automatic .22 long rifle with a 14 shot magazine and scope is quite effective in a variety of situations. You can take down anything from a rabbit to a deer with very little effort, it's just a matter of shot placement and is quite lethal at considerable distances. Or if you insist, a proper head shot will take down any person who may actually be a threat. And I agree that you can set aside a ton of .22 ammo. The machete and a good hunting knife are excellent suggestions and I wouldn't want to be without either. I also have a .410 shotgun that takes a either shot or slugs but is a bit heavier than the .22 so if I was looking for portability I would probably pick the .22.

Outside of that thought, I would think the most effective weapon I could have would be to be in the right place geographically. If you are in the middle of NYC when things go down I don't care how many weapons you have. You won't have a chance, even if you try to escape you would end up running a gauntlet to get out.

Learn as much as you can about wood-crafts and actually practice them. You can only learn so much out of a book. And not just a class with a bunch of people in it. Go out on your own and practice surviving with as little equipment as possible. You'd be surprised how quickly you can learn when only you are there to figure it out. When I was a few years younger I would regularly take off on improvised camping trips with nothing more than my hunting knife, some light rope, a piece of plastic, limited clothing that I could take off or put on in layers depending on conditions, a baggie with nuts and dried fruit, some sturdy shoes and a lightweight poncho. No gun, no matches, no problem.

Ditch the AK-47 and go learn how to start a fire, dress a deer, and smoke fish. I will be as far away as possible, by myself, living out my life as a happy "camper".

Of course the ultimate weapon would be to actively prevent the disaster in the first place. No disaster, no problem.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by zlots331

i like your idea but wouldnt you rather get a group together who know all of these things you say e.g hunting, first aid, bush craft and combat ect to help out people in your community. stength in numbers and all that.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Sorry but this thread is downright silly. Some of you watch too many zombie movies.

If there is every any type of civil war or the people rise up against TPTB it's going to be deadly. Swords, WD-40, batons, and crossbows (LOL) aren't going to do #. I mean have any of you guys seen the protection and firepower the average policeman wears to a college protest? Full body armor riot gear, plastic shields, MP5's. Not to mention the various SWAT tanks and other vehicles.

And I've yet to talk about the military. The # hey have is ridiculous. If we are being serious adults here's the most important things you'll need:

1) GUNS and several of them and lots of ammo. Preferably full automatic like AKs, ARs, MP5s, old M60s, 50cals, SAWs,. Even some RPGs, old Shoulder launched rocket launchers etc.

2) Heavily modified construction vehicles like backhoes, dump trucks, etc.

3) Explosives and lots of it be it homemade fairly advanced molotav cocktails, kitcehn C4, fertilizer bombs etc.

4) Body armor.

All the other stuff won't make a damn bit of difference. We are not talking an I am Legend or Road Warrior type situation or some zombie movie situation. Those scenarios won't happen. And if they do food and water will be way more important. We are talking Jerichoesque situations.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zlots331

50 years ago I'd say you were spot on. But there is no way in hell that would be the case nowadays. The deer and animal populations would be decimated in a matter of weeks with thousands of people flocking to the "woods". There are only pockets of areas in the US that could support any type of Red Dawn/Rambo situation but it wouldn't last. We have 300+ million people in this country. You think you'd be the only run taking to the wilderness? Let's face it, if there was any major outbreak of national civil war where the people were battling the military or police it would be over quickly and the number of dead would be huge. That's just the way it is unfortunately nowadays. Unless some aspects of the police and military defected and fought each other the "people" would be decimated and lots would die and rather quickly. Knowing how to dress a deer and catch a fish is pointless.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I think a car would also be a great wepon to have. Not only can you run people over you can sleep in it. And if you want to be "Green" get a solar powered chain saw, but you need a battery pack too just in case sh*t happens at night, that would be dope. But seriously, I would go with Sword, Shield, A gun, but only as a last resort to save bullets. A Knife, Kabar type, a lether men, and I think would be the greatest wepon would be a Moltov Cocktail, thats a really nasty one. O and a blow gun, its very accurate and you can make the ammo, so no need to be like "Crap I gots no more" you can just make it. But thats what I think. And a car would be sweet too. One more thing, a slingshot, that ammo you can find laying around. That would be some sweet stuff to use.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

The thread is silly but it is fun.
And in the moment to be completely realistic I don't think it would matter what it is anyone had as long as it can be used as a weapon it would be good. There are people who are better shots with bows on this planet than 90% of people who shoot guns have.

So honestly whatever you're good with would work in reality it all comes down to how you use it and who you are against of course.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Besides faith and reliance on the Supreme Being. I would say a wrist rocket would be nice and a good club. The biggest concern would be with wild animals you don't stand much of a chance after the bullets run with people who have them except to evade, set traps and be unpredictable. Few "enemy" are eager to pursue a target that is dangerous and unpredictable. Like all cowards they will prefer to go after easier pray.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by BrainPower

It's kind of funny. In Special Forces, we had our own unique knives, two types, and I still have both. And they issued us a tomahawk, complete with web gear fitting.

The tomahawk is unbelievably useful. That back spike can open a can or a head faster than you can believe. Much more effective than the horseman's axe which it is partially modeled after, I can fully appreciate why a lot of our frontiersmen had a tomahawk.

I usually carried a machete tilted slightly toward my left side where I could draw it out quickly, and you don't have to squirm and twist to get to it.

One knife on the inside of my left leg, and one on my chest with my web gear. No matter what condition I found myself in, one was always at hand.

The closest thing I can find is a tomahawk by Cold Steel.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by dooper]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

I was under the impression that this thread was about viable weaponry in a SHTF scenario where resupply was not coming. You appear to have limited it to a "civil war" type scenario. Let's run with that, shall we?

In your scenario, the government cracks down on the rebels, and kills everyone. At least that's the impression I get from your posts. If that's the case, that 300 million population suddenly got less formiddable, being dead in the streets, and all that.

WHO is going to kill off all the wildlife, then?

WHO is going to 'rush out of the cities' for the countryside, then?

WHO is going to make more bullets for the guns, then?

Ad infinitum.

In that case, I don't think 'living off the land' is all that impractical. Unless, of course, the 'survivor' happens to be one of those that thinks steak comes from grocery stores, and isn't sure what a cow is. There are lots of those types around.

I'd try to hang on to my AK, though. Ever tried to kill a deer with a pointy stick? The main problem is you have to chase it down first...

nenothtu out

[edit on 2009/5/17 by nenothtu]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I read the cautions against spears. You'll note that I said I had spear heads. You'll also note that they aren't mounted.

If you'll read of the days after the fall of the Western Empire of Rome, very quickly, wild animals became a problem. A serious problem.

Here in the US some 80 years ago, there were packs of wild dogs that were quite dangerous to livestock and even people. They were hunted down to practical extinction, as they carried not only the threat of attack, but rabies was a real problem.

Dogs aren't the only wild animals.

After any SHTF situation, one must acknowledge that there is going to be a significant population drop. And I don't care how they're armed.

As time goes on and the overall landscape changes and animals begin to increase populations, you'll likely see more of the predators spread from coast to coast.

Firearms are fine. But if you want to keep something at distance, you'll note that until a couple hundred years ago, pole weapons, especially spears were an effective defensive weapon.

Against two-legged animals and four legged animals.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
Aside from the most obvious, which would include firearms and bow weapons, you'll find a good machete useful, and the Gerber version has a sawback. You'll discover more uses for a good machete than you can imagine, so you'll want to keep it near your back easy to reach.

The second item that I have found my most useful hand weapon/tool is my tomahawk I have from my days in Special Forces.

Absolutely. A good machete would be @ top of my list. I think in the moment of survival I'd rather lose my pistol than my machete.
It can make things alot more miserable for you.
Especially if you plan on surviving it out in the woods, or 'the bush.'
Having a machete, you can hack down shelter in 30 min.
Someone mentioned a Pulaski; Which can come in very handy, however do you really want to log it around? Too heavy.

The best survival weapon is almost certainly one's brain, followed by a knife.

And you definetaly sold me on the tomahawk Dooper.
Especially how you mentioned the webbed holster, now I want one.

Important is to be light folks. Not heavy and clunky.

A good pair of binoculars should also be on the list. Makes stalking your prey, and scoping terrain much easier from a distance. Just as important as your weapon.
(unless you have a kickass scope)

[edit on 17-5-2009 by Ben Niceknowinya]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I made an earlier post specifically regarding firearms, since the op was speaking about "weapons", and firearms are the most useful. In regard to edged weapons, a machete, a tomahawk or hatchet, and a poleaxe serve dual roles as both useful tools and weapons.

I would choose a firearm over a bow or crossbow any day. If lack of ammo is an issue I would point out that handloading is an option...recipes for powder are readily available and bullets can be cast from car batteries and other sources of lead and suitable alloys.

Lacking all else, I would still prefer a blackpowder rifle, shotgun, or revolver (powder recipes and bullet sources still apply) over any bows, crossbows, or spears.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
, great way to advertise the fact that you guys have too much ammo and what type of firearms you have...... TPTB will be watching all closely now and up until when TSHTF.

I'd settle for a couple of shortblades, but then I live in the UK and thats all I can get anwyays. *cough*blackmarket*cough*.

[edit on 18/5/09 by DataWraith]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

I once heard it said that "you don't have to have the best gun.... you just have to kill the one who does.."

Now a peaceful gal, but as long as military might be in your area rounding us up for death camps, I think I'll take what they've got.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicaviv

Now a peaceful gal, but as long as military might be in your area rounding us up for death camps, I think I'll take what they've got.

This makes me sorry that I even started this thread. I don't want to even get into this again...suffice it to say that I certainly hope she is not talking about the United States Military.

Anyhow, reading over these, its lookin like a bow, machete, and that cool hatchet is the way to go.

I think i might focus more on survival gear and tools though.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   

It doesn't matter the calibre your gun has, or the length of your sword or the sharpness of your knife ,the VERY BEST weapon to have when TSHTF is 'yourname' mate, its the most powerful weapon one can have in any event is your brain, keep your cool and use your intellect to your best advantage.

Like the saying goes " Keep your head while those around you lose theirs".

Who's got the best weapon in this situation, A guy has a dozen weapons in the middle of a town, but nowhere to hunt and is totally clueless. Or the guy who knows how to hunt, start fires and how to set up a tent and live off the land.?
Who's chances do you fancy in surviving a week or a month or a year?
And please don't tell me the guy with guns will shoot you and take your food, as he'll run out of ammo fending off the other people with guns and no clue.

[edit on 19/5/09 by DataWraith]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
One way to go is Rambo it. The use of metal arrows full of FFFF powder. Then glue a shotgun primer with a BB on it. However it is not legal and of huge danger. A bow is important anyway however if your talking about the fall of the USA its not going to work for long. The problem is after the civil riots, murders and burnings. Then you have an UN invasion. That is a big Good luck. A person would have to be under ground and hid then. Such a crash would work from here then out to other countries over time as countries are so dependent. Understand its the US where it starts and where it is the worse. I see I don't see this for about 11 to 16 years. However a crash and violence in about 3 years in a smaller situation is coming due to legal act from the S & L cases from the 80s-90s so I am not surprise that they want to disarm the US badly. I think they might just get their way..

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
right now I have all of my weapons if/when shtf.

I would like a combo rifle/pistol set up. Maybe the .357 lever action rifle with a .357 pistol.

I'd just like a lever action rifle...I have everything else but no lever action.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by infolurker

Yeah, an AR isnt the wisest choice at this point for that reason.. .22 has very little stopping power, but any slightly experienced shooter will have next to no recoil from it. So it's easy to put round after round into a person and not worry about missing.

But you need a more powerful (more than the AR, it's really not that powerful either) weapon when they get up too close. A shot gun, 9MM, AK, or any other similar weapon is a good choice for this. All of them have readily available ammo (Well usually anyways)

If you know how to use it, a .22 can get you something bigger.

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join