It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best weapons to own when TSHTF?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Okay, so provided that TSHTF what kind of weapons would you want laying around?

Having a gun would be great, but eventually you will run out of bullets.

I think (besides guns) it would be best to own a bow and few knives of every size. 2-3 pocket knives, a few mid-size knives, daggers, etc.. a short sword, a longsword, and some sort of pole weapon like a spear.

what do y'all think?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BrainPower

I have a Kabar for a quick back up, and a Sword if I ever have to go close combat (especially with more than one person)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Aside from the most obvious, which would include firearms and bow weapons, you'll find a good machete useful, and the Gerber version has a sawback. You'll discover more uses for a good machete than you can imagine, so you'll want to keep it near your back easy to reach.

The second item that I have found my most useful hand weapon/tool is my tomahawk I have from my days in Special Forces.

Very useful, very versatile, and very deadly. The back spike will go through a steel pot, a Kevlar helmet, body armor, just about anything you need it to go through.

One other thing I have is spear points. I ordered these from Atlanta Cutlery a while back, and they are ready to mount if ever needed. Keep in mind, two-legged varmints aren't the only varmints that you may wish to keep at a distance.

Many types, but those that will only penetrate so far before hitting the tang will be most useful. The idea is to keep your prey at a tiny distance, and not have the spear penetrate and next thing you know, they're right in your face.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Well.

Ruger 10/22 $199.00

30 round mags for the 10/22 $9.00 each

Federal 550 round packs of Federal .22 ammo at Walmart $15.00

So, 5,500 rounds of ammo for every $150.00 you spend

Eventually, will be a long...long... long....long time down the road.

What I find funny are these guys buying AR 15's for over 1,000 bucks and having 50 rounds of ammo for it.

For $1000 bucks you can have TWO ruger 10/22's (Dicks sporting goods) for just over $400.00 and spend $100.00 on 10 (30 round) mags (also the rifles come with one 10 rounder mag) AND then spend $500 bucks on Federal, Winchester Wildcat (not as good) or the Remington 550 packs ranging from $13-$16 bucks each.

So... That $500.00 can buy about 33 boxes of ammo! 550 rounds each box! (estimate here since tax and such) You can have TWO rifles, 10 (30 round) mags AND over 18,000 ROUNDS! For just over $1,000.00 !!!!!!

Again,
Eventually, will be a long...long... long....long time down the road

[edit on 16-5-2009 by infolurker]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
The best weapon will be "gut instinct" and fear, it will keep you away from the masses and stop you from drawing attention to yeurself.

A shovel and pick axe and a machette

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The BEST weapon when the SHTF is the weapon you HAVE.

If you are short on skills, NOW is the time to practice!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!! I DONT ENCOURAGE!!!

Had to have that just in case...
One could make some kind of air powered home made rifle with a barrel that could switched out with different sized barrels for a varity sized of projectiles. Like a spud gun, that could shoot patatoes, oranges, apples, coconuts. Anything that is handy, easy to get, and wont draw attention.

One could awesome make some kind of home made napalm and home made mustard gas. Which one shouldnt make, but if they did do it VERY carefully and secretivly. I wont tell any one how, because it is against the T&C's of ATS. But you can Google it.

And maybe some kind of crossbow or bow. Make your own arrows, and dip them in a toxic home made mixture.

DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!! I DONT ENCOURAGE!!!

And I have never made any of these so i dont exactly kno the risks first hand, i suggest you do some research.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

are you talking about those black tomahawks? i asked but supply wont issue

i have been wanting to get one for some time. what type of machete? i got one before, but it was crappy and actually ended up bending!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

thats a good idea, i just love my AR-15 too much. its what i'm used to. i was, however, thinking about getting that 9mm rifle...i forget who makes it but its really smooth and 9mm rounds arent too too expensive.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Good point, but I am keeping my AR, it has a little more kick than the 22's and I think that is important. But I have talked to friends about this issue and a 22 is a good investment.
Also don't forget boys and girls that our body's are also a weapon, the most important one. Has to working good so you can use the other weapons . A waterpurfier , small backpack size. Your weapons (mind,body,spirit) need to be sharp !!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
i may very well end up getting a 22 anyhow. Ny gun legislation is absurd!!! Thanks Hillary! NOT! i have to leave my AR in Tn since its illegal to own in NY.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I've always had a Pulaski, no matter where I've moved. I became acquainted with it when I was in college -- during the summer I was on firefighting crews, mostly fighting forest fires. We used it both to clear groundcover, as well as to trench.

It's a very formidable weapon, as well as a great multipurpose tool. If you find one [unlike my link] with a curved axe-handle, it's a very balanced tool.

Aside from that, I tend to favor short bows for their ease of deployment and quick release in potentially short-range combat situations. I think the best bows and arrows are those that you can fabricate out of native materials. Maybe now is the time to test out various woods to see which have the right strength-to-flex ratio. Arrows can be made from many woods, tips cut from sheet metal, and fletching can be done very satisfactorily with three piece of duct tape, stuck equidistance around the shaft, sticking both to the shaft and to each other, and then trimmed into shape.

Also strongly agree with those suggesting a machette. This is a standard tool where I live, and nearly every household has at least one. There are, of course, all different grades of them. I like a machette that is full tang. The important thing [to me] is the ability to put a proper edge on a machette. It's a shallower angle than you would put on a knife, especially if one is clearing bush. Most often done with a file, moving from the direction of the handle toward the tip. I often sharpen about 5" of the back side of the tip of the blade, for when I want to chop into areas where I suspect I might cut into rock.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I always go back to that 12 gauge that a good all round weapon not much distance but can be used against people and bring down game 100rds about 25 bucks bird shot at 2500 feet per second is not some thing I want to be in front of.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
If you are a rifleman forget that plastic piece of junk and use a Springfield Armory M1A. I promise you wont be sorry.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
If you are a rifleman forget that plastic piece of junk and use a Springfield Armory M1A. I promise you wont be sorry.

Problem is those can be pricey.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I prefer the old fashioned Punt gun, they can take out vehicles, helicopters, groups of 20 men etc., although they are not very maneuverable.
www.instablogsimages.com...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
when you hunt without bullets , make fire without matches, reap your crop without machinery and have time to enjoy your family/group, anything is possible.

life is longer without time ,

if you survive the first and the second week you might even have a chance ,

generaly id say that is an impossible question to answer, it all depents on your locatin and start.

but id say axe for its multi function ability,

guns and bullets are just commodity , you have x ammount of bullets and if no one makes bullets its just a replica of a tool, a means without a cause ?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

Not necessarily, you don't even need manufactured bullets for guns. You can make guns fire by other means, as the barrel is the whole point. Did cannons have bullets 300 years ago? Nope.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
No offense but all the people who say 'sword' I think of those nerdy kids who play video games and think they're bad ass...

Swords arent like in the movies, they dont cut through things like lasers, they stop on most bones and take much exertion to for example, decapitate someone... and the blade needs to be constantly sharpened, or else it is useless. Without the blade? You can only stab with the tip, and in that case you would be better off with a spear!

You should not rely on your backup in this day because when guns are the standard, you have to be on equal ground with your enemy. But just for EMERGENCY,
A good knife will do you well because they are "tools first and weapons second", as it goes. Get one around 6 inches NON-CURVED blade with a sawback edge. If you have a straight blade it will be far easier to sharpen and be easier to take out of your sheath.
Everyone should have a knife (bayonet) as backup anyways...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BrainPower

Whatever you feel comfortable with, and know how to use.

Myself, I have a 9mm handgun. Three clips, one FMJ, one JHP +P, and one alternating. A 'survival' knife... technically a bowie. 6 cell Maglight, a mini-mag on a lanyard (always carry in case I need a 'blackjack' in a pinch), and a two foot pipe made of aircraft aluminum. A small canister of mace, and one of pepper spray.

Yes, I know how to use them all.

I'm considering building my own stun device, and am looking at making my own 12-gauge electronic stun rounds, and am considering making sabot flechette rounds for the 12-gauge. A pump action 12 gauge is on my list.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join