It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Blood Pressure Could Be Caused By A Common Virus, Study Suggests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

High Blood Pressure Could Be Caused By A Common Virus, Study Suggests

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (May 16, 2009) — A new study suggests for the first time that cytomegalovirus (CMV), a common viral infection affecting between 60 and 99 percent of adults worldwide, is a cause of high blood pressure, a leading risk factor for heart disease, stroke and kidney disease.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Many, many, people are afflicted with this disease.

While this is only a study, and it is not conclusive I ask that you imagine...

Would it be possible that such a development might spell 'profit - doom' for BigPharma?

High blood pressure is a gold-mine of steady revenue, is it not?

And now what if it turns out to be, for the most part a virus?

What have people been doing to their body chemistry by imbibing BigPharma's snake oil, all these years?

And has it not caused ancillary illnesses? Or in their parlance..., "side effects"?

I think, that if they were as conspiratorial as I suspect they are, they will quash this line of medical inquiry immediately; or at least cloud it with their usual artifacts and contrivances....

We can't have people 'cured' if we're going to control them now, can we?

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

From the same article

"We found that CMV infection alone led to an increase in high blood pressure, and when combined with a high-cholesterol diet, the infection actually induced atherosclerosis in a mouse aorta," says Crumpacker. "This suggests that further research needs to be directed at viral causes of vascular injury. Some cases of hypertension might be treated or prevented by antiviral therapy or a vaccine against CMV."

It will be an excuse to make another drug only you will have to take it all your life in case it comes back.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Wait, here's a question though. What about low blood pressure? Is there an anti-virus that causes that?

I suffer from pretty awful low blood pressure that doesn't respond to higher sodium diets, or any diet change really.

So... I'm just not sure what it would mean for me.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Let's take this with a grain of salt. There's a lot of research to be done in this area.
Hypertension has a pletharia of causes. Diet. Lack of Excercise. Genetics. A combination of the above. And then, there is always the possiblity of environmental causes.
And for those who don't know, CMV is frequently a cause of death in AIDs patients, though not from the complications of hypertension.
Let's be patient and use some common sense.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
Let's take this with a grain of salt. There's a lot of research to be done in this area.
Hypertension has a pletharia of causes. Diet. Lack of Excercise. Genetics. A combination of the above. And then, there is always the possiblity of environmental causes.
And for those who don't know, CMV is frequently a cause of death in AIDs patients, though not from the complications of hypertension.
Let's be patient and use some common sense.

No one is jumping to any conclusions, except that there seem to be indications that the medical community's research in this area is lacking. There may be a plethora of causes for numerous diseases or conditions; CMV's it seems may also be a frequently present, but hitherto ignored, additional causative factor of high blood pressure, diet, lack of exercise, and other 'controllable' factors notwithstanding.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

...further research needs to be directed at viral causes of vascular injury.

Research showing CMV's role in causing atherosclerosis and other vascular disease dates back several decades.

...It's quite clear (really) that we're looking at viral latency and reactivation, as well as cascades that are initiated by infection, but progress independent of it once initiated.

Unfortunately, latent and retro- viruses are nigh impossible to treat. And Big Pharma doesn't want to cure anything anyway.

There's far more profit in treating the symptoms.

S&F btw.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by soficrow]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
In April I turned 51. I went to hospital for a cortisone shot, as I'd torn two forearm flexors. I knew which ones, and where -- I marked the spot for the needle with a Sharpie

Doc makes me go through a battery of blood tests first, since it'd been six years since I'd done so. He proclaims that I have hypertension . I insisted that the number was skewed, since they use a small arm cuff, and I need the large one. He prescribed Cardizem -- a calcium blocker -- which decreases the force of the heart as well as dialates the blood vessels. I didn't fill it. I wouldn't take it. It was a full month after my initial visit that I FINally got my cortisone shot, and I started healing almost immediately.

I upped my ginger and garlic intake, and kept taking my own BP measurements. I was (by my own equipment) at 145/85 and 171/90 at the hospital. Now average at 130/80. That's cool.

I think there are probably a LOT of things that we can treat in a more mature, more natural manner than taking some @#$@#%@ medication. For the most part, meds take the best of the natural plant, refine it down to an unnatural concentration, add a bunch of crap and buffers, and package it into a spiffy package for the tablet-oriented.

What a sham. You know what I realized lately? I'd not been meditating as I had in the past. I bet that did as much as anything else. I'm not surprised at the possibility that hypertension is relative to a previously-unknown or untalked-about virus.

Off-topic: You ever wonder if viruses are....... sentient? hmmmmm

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus

He prescribed Cardizem -- a calcium blocker -- which decreases the force of the heart as well as dialates the blood vessels. I didn't fill it. I wouldn't take it. It was a full month after my initial visit that I FINally got my cortisone shot, and I started healing almost immediately.

I upped my ginger and garlic intake, and kept taking my own BP measurements. I was (by my own equipment) at 145/85 and 171/90 at the hospital. Now average at 130/80. That's cool.

I think there are probably a LOT of things that we can treat in a more mature, more natural manner than taking some @#$@#%@ medication.

Good advice for some people, but NOT for all.

You're right though, meditation does wonders. Bio-feedback too. ...I once spent nearly 9 months in hospital with stroke level HBP that wouldn't respond to meds, hooked up to machines. Found I could easily lower my BP using meditation/other techniques. Only problem was, as soon as I was distracted or thought about something else, it shot back up again. Turned out the HBP was caused by a blockage in my kidney artery.

You ever wonder if viruses are....... sentient? hmmmmm

Do you know about super-organisms? ...Humans and other complex living organisms are comprised of billions of microbes and viruses that evolved together to work in cooperation. In one way, that certainly makes them sentient, dontcha think? ...at least collectively...

Then there's the Gaia hypothesis...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Big Pharma will never find a "cure" for anything as long as it's not in their best interest.

These cancers and viruses are linked

Cervical cancer, and other cancers of the genital and anal area, and the genital wart virus, HPV -Primary liver cancer and the Hepatitis B and C viruses -Lymphomas and the Epstein-Barr Virus -T cell leukaemia in adults and the Human T cell leukaemia virus- HPV also probably leads to oropharyngeal cancer and some non melanoma skin cancers
They're finding that viruses are responsible for lots of nasty disease's yet no cures are found for any of these.
www.cancerhelp.org.uk...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
For those of us who have even a peripheral curiosity of nutritional, homeopathic, etc. (in other words non-western) medical practice:

Consider this Codex Alimentarium

Don't ignore the Codex Alimentarium

It struck me a relevant regarding your comments about garlic.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I am sure there are many causes for different conditions. I have high blood pressure and take big pharma drugs to help. At this time regardless of the cause if the drugs help I am going to take them, the option is worse. If the cause of my HBP is determined and I can alter the meds to something other than meds I would be the first to switch.

In my case I think heredity is the major factor.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I believe the fast food, soda and other processed food is what causes us cancer, high blood pressue and the rest a like.....>sign< More pure I will be.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by epete22

I agree and I am sure there are things i could do to improve my condiiton, but until I do I will take the medication required

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by epete22
reply to post by Maxmars

I believe the fast food, soda and other processed food is what causes us cancer, high blood pressue and the rest a like.....>sign< More pure I will be.

while this study is interesting, i think people should not go off their meds until they talk to their docs. and if your doc is completely against use of natural supplements it's time to get another doc. i believe medication is good but if i can avoid taking a pill i'm even happier!

as for epete22's comment - this same processed food is keeping us alive for 60-70-80 years as opposed to the non-processed food of less than 100 years ago that would make many pass before the age of 50. although i do agree that sodas, sweeteners, fast-food are bad and should be avoided as much as possible. what feels good is usually bad for you

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I think that the body has a huge propensity towards health, but people just over-indulge resulting in all kinds of health problems. The body doesn't need much help staying healthy. It just needs it's inhabiter to listen to its calling. Fast for freedom, fast for life!

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0mmonen5e
I think that the body has a huge propensity towards health, but people just over-indulge resulting in all kinds of health problems. The body doesn't need much help staying healthy. It just needs it's inhabiter to listen to its calling. Fast for freedom, fast for life!

yep the body will naturally keep you alive for a very long time. just watch the astounding life spans of people from 4000BC to 1920AD... they lived to be 50... if they were really lucky!

top topics

join