It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libraries Vs Internet Piracy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

That's an interesting idea. I don't think the university I went to did that. I know you can get various textbooks as ebooks on the internet; I have quite a few that I've downloaded from p2p.

One thing I did see my school do a few times in my courses was if a course did not need an entire textbook, the prof would talk to the publisher and get permission to make a photocopied booklet out of the 3 chapters or whatever that we'd actually use. We'd then pay maybe $20 instead of like $200.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonsDemesne

That's good of your professor. I wonder how much students could save if books were given out in electronic form? I mean i think the future will head that anyway so why not do it now? The publishers might think it would reduce their profits but consider that no one would buy a £200 engineering book, unless they are studying the degree. If that same book is £20 for an electronic version then i am willing to bet many people will buy it.

I wonder what the saving for an average engineering student would be? I mean someone i know spent nearly 1400 on books in one year. So if we assume a 70% saving that's a saving of £980 pounds. That is enormous to a student.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I will never understand how people equate copying to stealing, these people must think that Gutenberg is the worst thief in history stealing all those bibles
. Copying is sharing, and your mother should have taught you sharing is caring

I have always thought of the internet and everything on it as the modern day Library of Alexandria. Lets hope it doesn't get burned down again, so to speak.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join