It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever heard of haunted Chingle Hall, England?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
In the North West of England is the oldest brick-built building still in use today. It’s called Chingle Hall and was originally known as Singleton Hall. It was built way back in 1260 by Sir Adam de Singleton, just outside the village of Goosnargh, near Preston. It’s described as one the most haunted places in Britain.

Until recently, groups could pay to stay in part of the Hall on Friday or Saturday nights. Friends stayed there some years ago. One described how she needed the bathroom during the night. It was at the end of a long white, well-lit hallway. As she walked down it with increasing nerves, she felt a breath of air blow against the side of her throat. Startled, she jumped and walked faster only to feel a warm hand gently squeeze her elbow.

At one point the owners hid Catholic priests from execution in secret Priest Holes, one of the priests was found and murdered. His . was buried somewhere in the grounds. One of the alleged ghosts is of a monk. He’s been seen many times and occasionally heard whispering prayers. There’s a room where a girl was confined for 12 years, it’s alleged to be haunted by the girl (she died at 20), it’s called Eleanor’s Room.

Eleanor's Room

Have any ATSers stayed there? If so, care to share a tale or two? I have a schitzo approach to ghosts…I really don’t believe in them. On the other hand, I will not sleep at my parent’s home because too many weird things have happened!

BBC: My night at a haunted house

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
ooooooooo Creepy,

My kind of story
I'd wish to visit this place but most of my wishes come true.

Plus sounds like a lurker would end up dead and buried on the land

star

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I've never heard of this place. Than you for posting the video. I have to say that the old boom box for the scary screams just cracked me up. But, the rest is very spooky.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
iv heard of it lol but i havnt really thought about it.

there are loads of supposedly haunted places n england lol.. i live by tamworth castle lol were theyr are a few ghosts lol

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I live quite close to Chingle Hall, and have passed by it on a number of occasions. The Hall itself is now a private dwelling, and the present owners wish to be left in peace. They have reported no strange occurrences at all.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by elysiumfire
I live quite close to Chingle Hall, and have passed by it on a number of occasions. The Hall itself is now a private dwelling, and the present owners wish to be left in peace. They have reported no strange occurrences at all.

I'm not too far away either, but haven't been there to look. It's interesting that the present owners report no incidents. It often seems that with 'paranormal' accounts, the closer you get the more they unravel. It's why I'm skeptical of them. I've had quite a few unexplained 'moments' but I'm skeptical of them too! I just haven't found the right rational explanation yet. Have you met the owners or do you know somebody that has?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Originally posted by elysiumfire

The Hall itself is now a private dwelling, and the present owners wish to be left in peace.

Originally posted by Kandinsky

It's interesting that the present owners report no incidents.

No it's not interesting! If the owners are saying they want to be "left in peace" are they then going to say; "But hay Mr ghost hunting stranger! Last night we heard the sounds of chains by the staircase, and then a child screaming, and oh, if you trample across our turf around 10pm you might see a decapitated spirit"

often seems that with 'paranormal' accounts, the closer you get the more they unravel.

Maybe; but what you just wrote demonstrates seems to demonstrate self-fulfilling thinking. You should be aware of it; as it seems (to me at least) you're mind is trying to make you biased against ghosts. Only you know why.

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

The BBC link I posted in the OP has a battery of comments lower down the page. A great many of them are accounts from people that experienced nothing and one is from an employee that explained the lavender smell in Eleanor's Room. The owner used lavender spray daily. For these reasons it seems pragmatic to err on the side of caution and allow for both possibilities?

Asking Elysiumfire to explain his or her source is an outcome of an open mind. I allow for the possibility that ghosts are real. I've had quite a few experiences that would convince most people that ghosts certainly exist. Locked doors slamming, footsteps, male voices, a girl's voice etc, both in darkness and daylight. Rather than concluding they are ghosts, I'm open to other explanations whilst never again sleeping in the house they mostly occurred in

new topics

top topics

join