It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aeroflot Ilyushin Il-14 crash site, Antarctica

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
On 2nd January 1979 an Aeroflot Ilyushin Il-14 suffered engine failure not long after take off from the Soviet Antarctic station Molodyozhnaya. 4 of the 7 passengers on the flight died.

What's interesting about this crash is the wreckage is still largely intact and can be viewed on google earth.

Some details about the Ilyushin Il-14:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5b0fd5bab899.png[/atsimg]

The Ilyushin Il-14 (NATO reporting name "Crate") was a Soviet twin-engine commercial and military personnel and cargo transport aircraft that first flew in 1950 and entered service in 1954. Il-14 was also manufactured in East Germany by VVB Flugzeugbau, in Czechoslovakia as the Avia 14, and in China under the Chinese designation Y-6. The Ilyushin Il-14 was eventually replaced by the Antonov An-24 and Yakovlev Yak-40.

en.wikipedia.org...

And finally here is the crash site on google earth:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8f060f6c9436.png[/atsimg]

67°40'16.57"S 45°49'37.27"E

[edit on 16/5/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Russia should clean the mess up. There are supposed to be very strict environmental laws covering Antarctica, obviously they aren't policed.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Nineteen

The whole base has been abandoned.

You can see it if you zoom out.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   

maybe New Zealand should clean up there mess then on the side of Mount Erebus.

or , being its at best -19 and in a remote location , its rather hard to clean it up.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Russia should clean the mess up. There are supposed to be very strict environmental laws covering Antarctica, obviously they aren't policed.

A small aircraft that crashed decades ago isn't an environmental problem.

maybe New Zealand should clean up there mess then on the side of Mount Erebus.

LOL.

LOL.

LOL.

LOL.

[edit on 16/5/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

glad you saw the sarcasm in my post

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Good points

This is also why it's so well preserved I guess.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

What about the mess left at the bottom of the sea? That seems alot larger and alot more problamatic than this plane in antarctica.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
What happened to the other 3 survivors? Interesting factoid: apparently Antarctica is one of the driest places on earth.... that is why things remain so well preserved (?) for long periods. Reminds me of "The Charlemagne Pursuit" by Steve Berry.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Psychdoc

The plane crashed right after take off so the base was nearby.

I assume they got taken there.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
There was a US Navy C-130 that crashed, although not seriously, but it could not be flown back out. It was left off the side of the "runway", getting almost buried by snow.

Eventually the USN decided to get it fixed and fly it back out, which they did after 13 years.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I do not understand why it was not covered in snow. From 1979 and until now there was no serious snow storm in Antarctica?
Maybe it is a gate to reptilian underworld?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
I do not understand why it was not covered in snow. From 1979 and until now there was no serious snow storm in Antarctica?
Maybe it is a gate to reptilian underworld?

There is not a lot of snow there. It is a very arid environment. And also that pesky thing called wind.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I had a brief look for more details without success. The image is grim in its context and morbidly fascinating. A silent grave marker of 4 deaths. I was curious regarding the bodies. Were they buried at the site or returned to their families?

Betcha an ATS member is rapidly googling for a UFO, NWO or CIA connection

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nineteen

That reminds me of a time in the 1970s when the Americans at McMurdo would just bulldoze their waste off the ice shelf.

I would hazard that there are very few biological threats on that planewreck.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Yeah I couldn't find a whole lot about it either.

Seems to be a gate to the hollow earth though.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Russia is hardly the only country to leave crashed aircraft lying around, i believe it's in the Antarctic that there are the remains of several US WW2 aircraft still lying around? (didn't they try to recover one a few years back and it catch fire after weeks of repairs?)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot

Russia is hardly the only country to leave crashed aircraft lying around, i believe it's in the Antarctic that there are the remains of several US WW2 aircraft still lying around? (didn't they try to recover one a few years back and it catch fire after weeks of repairs?)

No, why would there have been aircraft during WW2 crashed on Antarctica?

Maybe you are thinking of Greenland and Alaska.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by firepilot

After checking it was actually Greenland (thought it was Antarctica for some reason) the fact remains though that it isn't only Russia that has left the remains of aircraft lying around in previously unspoiled parts of the world

top topics

<<   2 >>

join