It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who 'controls' Stephen Hawkings thoughts?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Hawking is physically disabled NOT mentally disabled. He has access to TV and internet the same way we all do. His mental processes are still able to function and he is still entitled to an opinion. Interviewers are required to post their questions prior to any interviews being confirmed. As he becomes more debilitated by his condition, he takes longer to express himself.

In a recent interview for the Observer magazine, he was shown to enjoy The Simpsons a great deal. He enjoyed the subsequent interview so much that he broke protocol and asked her if she'd like to ask one more question. She accepted and was able to chat with his secretary and look around the house a little. She described a normal living space, pictures, mementos and whatnot. IIRC the answer to the question took a couple of hours.

He posted an interesting question on Yahoo Answers. His choice as 'best answer' is revealing...How can the human race survive the next hundred years?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Basically everything on TV is propaganda, especially the Simpsons.

Sure he can read the Internet, but does he pay somebody to sit there all day clicking on links and scrolling down? I mean can he actually operate a mouse + buttons along with a keyboard? I sure hope he could, but he looks rougher everytime I see him. Even if so, it must take him forever to do what we do in an hour.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It's not his thoughts he actually types the words out with a stick he holds by a mouthpiece. I saw him do this during a discovery channel interview. Then the voice says what he types. It was actually a story on him and his wife.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by donttaserme
reply to post by The Change

i saw this on south park .. its totally sadam he is behind the curtain isnt he?
even though south park is a smut kinda cartoon there is always that ring of truth to some episodes .. hmmm

OFF TOPIC:

I used to hate South Park but the more I watched the more I realized that underneath the smut and fart/poop jokes there is usually a really good message or a really well done point made, if only you let yourself see it.

ON TOPIC:

It is interesting to think that maybe Dr. Hawkings "words" really aren't his words and that they are being manipulated someone by someone. His opinion is as good as gold in alot of instances so it would be a powerful tool and being honest, I really do not want to know what my dog is thinking.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
thats a really deep question i don't think anyone knows that answere to.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
lol... This is really a funny one. Here is a snippet of a wiki article that might help with the whole "voice" thing.

The DECtalk DTC01 voice synthesizer he uses, which has an American accent, is no longer being produced. Asked why he has still kept it after so many years, Hawking mentioned that he has not heard a voice he likes better and that he identifies with it. Hawking is said to be looking for a replacement since, aside from being obsolete, the synthesizer is both large and fragile by current standards. In Hawking's many media appearances, he appears to speak fluently through his synthesizer, but in reality, it is a tedious drawn-out process. Hawking's setup uses a predictive text entry system, which only requires the first few characters in order to auto-complete the word, but as he is only able to use his cheek for data entry, constructing complete sentences takes time. His speeches are prepared in advance, but having a live conversation with him provides insight as to the complexity and work involved. During a Technology, Entertainment, & Design Conference talk, it took him seven minutes to answer a question.[28] He describes himself as lucky despite his disease. Its slow progression has allowed him time to make influential discoveries and has not hindered him from having, in his own words, "a very attractive family."[29] When Jane was asked why she decided to marry a man with a three-year life expectancy, she responded, "Those were the days of atomic gloom and doom, so we all had a rather short life expectancy."

poor guy..

[edit on 29-6-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
He does have to type...which is why he speaks slowly...
Second line...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I don't like Steven Hawkings...

He's not actually all that bright, seriously he has allot of time on his hands and he says some interesting things, but by IQ, lets just say i know people who rank the guy badly...

He... is cool, he get's it... he's no dope, but he sure has allot of time on his hands too...

What i don't like is... he's a negative stereo type of intelligent people as feeble

He doesn't help people wanting to study Physics and Math, he associates the IQ sect with being basically crippled loosers...

And it matters since Carl Sagans death he has become poster boy for brains... and he's not that brilliant, there are tons of people with more brains in their rear ends than him.... Carl Sagan was smart but not bright or even very cool...

Guys Gimp and his media press doesn't help kids want to study science at all...children think brains are going to make them Gimps....

It's high time The media found a poster boy for smarts that wasn't in a wheel chair...

Or simply lame and boring....

"billions and billions of stars"

To heck with Carl Sagan too...

Please ...

Somewhere out there there is a good looking PHD Candidate that doesn't make women want to barf... a genuine role model...

Steven Hawkings is the reason that we haven't yet had a president with a genius level IQ and still vote on popularity contests not IQ

Not all of us with high IQ's are frigging loosers in life... it's high time Brains were represented in the media with some reality

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

A very interesting thread.
For all we know he can not do anything and is just remote controled when they need him.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
That's very rude to call him names and insult his condition, it is not his fault he has this debilitating disease, and it is very sad that he gets worse every day. His life is probably a living hell, he can't do anything that the rest of us can do, he can't have fun, all he can do is think and that's what he's good at. Why insult someone who you do not know based on their physical condition? Why put yourself in the mindset that was popular hundreds of years ago? It's time to evolve, and with evolution comes a new way of viewing things.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
frankly im tired of this guy been looked upon as some kind of god by the scientific community.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
IgnoranceIsntBlisss - *he cant exactly go out and scour the web*...

Who goes OUT to 'scour the web'?!...Are you on some sort of expedition/safari each and everytime,for weeks on end,dangering your life!?...LMFAO

P.S. - mopusvindictus,I guess were only left to assume you are neither smart or attractive enough to fill this void with that little rant

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deus Ex Machina 42
That's very rude to call him names and insult his condition, it is not his fault he has this debilitating disease, and it is very sad that he gets worse every day. His life is probably a living hell, he can't do anything that the rest of us can do, he can't have fun, all he can do is think and that's what he's good at. Why insult someone who you do not know based on their physical condition? Why put yourself in the mindset that was popular hundreds of years ago? It's time to evolve, and with evolution comes a new way of viewing things.

All right but when he is used as theUltimate Expert and the Prophet concerning the LHC stuff, which probably will be the end of that nice planet, (survival or not were dead
it starts to be quite a vital question...

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
I don't like Steven Hawkings...

He's not actually all that bright, seriously he has allot of time on his hands and he says some interesting things, but by IQ, lets just say i know people who rank the guy badly...

He... is cool, he get's it... he's no dope, but he sure has allot of time on his hands too...

What i don't like is... he's a negative stereo type of intelligent people as feeble

He doesn't help people wanting to study Physics and Math, he associates the IQ sect with being basically crippled loosers...

And it matters since Carl Sagans death he has become poster boy for brains... and he's not that brilliant, there are tons of people with more brains in their rear ends than him.... Carl Sagan was smart but not bright or even very cool...

Guys Gimp and his media press doesn't help kids want to study science at all...children think brains are going to make them Gimps....

It's high time The media found a poster boy for smarts that wasn't in a wheel chair...

Or simply lame and boring....

"billions and billions of stars"

To heck with Carl Sagan too...

Please ...

Somewhere out there there is a good looking PHD Candidate that doesn't make women want to barf... a genuine role model...

Steven Hawkings is the reason that we haven't yet had a president with a genius level IQ and still vote on popularity contests not IQ

Not all of us with high IQ's are frigging loosers in life... it's high time Brains were represented in the media with some reality

Your opinion is ridiculous! On what such claims is Stephen Hawking not very intelligent? The man is an expert on black holes! Do you even understand a single bloody thing about black holes? Heck, I read 'A Brief History of Time' twice already and I don't understand anything about black holes... other than not to go near one. And also, hey, thanks a lot for insulting a dead guy too. Yeah, all smart people are decrepit, dead, and ugly. God, you're ignorant, honestly! And your comment "billions and billions of stars", hey, why don't you 'increase your IQ' you hot stud, and read "Billions and Billions" by Carl Sagan? He ACTUALLY said "Billions upon billions" of stars, and not billions and billions.

No, but really. You are a genius. Stephen Hawking is a moron and so is Carl Sagan and YOU... you, my friend, are one in 6 billion. Your intelligence is unrivalled, and your opinion is the truth. You have no faults and you have no enemies. Please, oh almighty, bless us with your handsomness and your intelligence and wisdom and charisma. please... please grace us with another long-winded rant about how intelligent people are looked down upon by the majority because of idiots like carl sagan and stephen hawking... oh great one, won't you please?

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Hawking did make that space flight, and he also appeared on Star Trek: the Next Generation playing himself as a hologram. Ah, maybe that is it!

He's been a hologram all along...we only think he is real. All of his ideas are coming from some sinister team of geeks....

And we are all nothing but computer generated random words on a virtual screen in a black box sitting on the desk of God.

Nope, I retract the second two paragraphs.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by rachel07
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I wondered what speech software he was using to speak. He must have state of the art software, as he doesn't have to type anything, or use his eyes to focus on a keyboard. (You never see him blinking.)

Actually, I'm sure he does use one finger to use a keyboard/screen thing.

I'm away to find a source. Hold tight, y'all.

Edit:

found this - tis from Wikithough

[From WIKI]
[From WIKI] The computer system attached to his wheelchair is operated by Hawking via an infra-red 'blink switch' clipped onto his glasses. By scrunching his right cheek up, he is able to talk, compose speeches and research papers, browse the World Wide Web, and write e-mails. The system also uses radio transmission to provide control over doors in his home and office. Hawking receives a new computer every 18-24 months donated by Intel. One such computer was donated in April of 2005 and is based on the Centrino chipset. It consists of two pieces, a rear chassis which houses 3 160Whr batteries and various external peripherals, and a front chassis, which houses a Tablet-PC and the speakers which project his hardware-synthesized voice. The two chassis are connected via a custom-designed umbilical cable which allows power and electrical signals to travel back and forth. Hawking's computer can run for up to 16 hours without needing a recharge. The computer utilizes a wireless data card that runs on mobile phone networks. This allows Hawking to check his email and browse the web while away from a wireless LAN. Hawking can also make and receive voice phone calls via a mobile phone with an external microphone in front of his computer speakers. Source(s): en.wikipedia.org...
Source(s):
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 28/11/09 by XHellcatX]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by XHellcatX

Bravo XHellcatX !!!

I really do like and am impressed by research done to support an assertion made in a forum. Well done.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dromadus
reply to post by XHellcatX

Bravo XHellcatX !!!

I really do like and am impressed by research done to support an assertion made in a forum. Well done.

Cheers - even though my assertion was wrong and I ended up refuting myself

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I think this should become one of those philosophical questions that you have at 4am.

Along the lines of "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, does it still make a sound?

or "What does a blind man see when he dreams".

Back to the OP, it's the 'man behind the curtain'.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I always thought he typed things out and then they were read and the part were he is typing would be boring for TV so they edit it.

But there is such a thing as a mind control device I saw one on Ted Talks. I think its people like Ray Kurzweil, Christopher deCharms, and another one which I can't seem to find now but it showed a man with some device on his head controlling the way a box moved on the computer screen. Quite interesting.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join