It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Predator C Avenger Makes First Flights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
AWST has alot fo detail about the Preadator C which is entering flight test right now.

new, reduced-signature, unmanned aircraft—the long-rumored, 20-hr.-endurance, pure-jet Predator C Avenger—has emerged from General Atomics Aeronautical Systems’ workshops after a 3½-year gestation period paced by massive growth in UAV production and the use of unmanned designs in combat.

The UAV’s undeniably stealthed-up exterior offers several clues about how the aircraft could be employed.

A weapons bay allows internal carriage of 500-lb. bombs with GBU-38 JDAM tail kit and laser guidance. Given the aircraft’s 41-ft. length (which will expand by at least 2 ft. in the second test aircraft), the weapons bay appears to be 10 ft. long.
www.aviationweek.com.../aw st_xml/2009/04/20/AW_04_20_2009_p50-133062.xml&headline=Predator+C+Avenger+Makes+First+Flights

Its subscription only guys so sorry.

But the highlights:

10 foot internal weapons bay
20 hour endurance
Intially its expected to have less than the 45kva that the B&C have interms of electrical power. Its unclear at this time how they will up it or if it will limit systems.

The vertically-oriented V-tail both deflects radar and shields the 4,800-lb. thrust Pratt & Whitney Canada’s PW545B engine exhaust’s infrared signature. Predator C has two all-flying tail surfaces with two servos each for flight-control redundancy. The humpbacked design of the engine compartment offers room enough for a serpentine exhaust that eliminates radar observation of the engine. Pratt & Whitney has been developing an S-shaped exhaust that offers protection from radar observation and cooling to reduce the IR signature. The engine is expected to provide an airspeed of at least 400 kt., but Cassidy says envelope expansion tests may produce speeds “considerably greater” than that. Its operational altitude is up to 60,000 ft.
www.aviationweek.com.../aw st_xml/2009/04/20/AW_04_20_2009_p50-133062.xml&headline=Predator+C+Avenger+Makes+First+Flights

It comes with a tailhook and folding wings for shipboard operations

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Avenger UAV made by General Atomics.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Wow! The Predator C Avenger is one sweet looking UAV! Holy cow, it's so advanced since the early iterations of Predator. Undoubtedly it's performance will surpass all expectations. Honestly, I had no idea this so close to being finished. Thanks, FredT, excellent post.

Edit: BTW, I love your Raptor avatar. I'm a big fan of the F-22.

[edit on 9-8-2009 by carnival_of_souls2047]

[edit on 9-8-2009 by carnival_of_souls2047]

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Avenger tail 4 flight

The latest version of the Avenger was photographed over Grey Butte per the link above.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Yes ,.. Looks sweet! Can't wait for it to kill me!
Ultimately that is where we are going with this tech,... Like it or not...

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: coastlinekid

Hahahahahahaha thanks for that mate, I haven't laughed like that in a while

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: coastlinekid
Yes ,.. Looks sweet! Can't wait for it to kill me!
Ultimately that is where we are going with this tech,... Like it or not...

Potentially this drone could be used to locate lost dogs.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: gariac

Tail 4?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TAGBOARD

Tail 4?

The Avenger seems to be a class, not necessarily one exact model of aircraft. The wiki covers the various "tails."

Avenger wiki
They documented tail 1 and tail 2. I think three flew but there is no data on it. Then 4 should be what they are testing now.
edit on 8-5-2014 by gariac because: typo

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TAGBOARD

The different tails were part of the testing program for the Avenger. They were looking for the perfect combination of payload and size for different missions. Tail 2 was three feet longer, with 500 pounds more payload, but two hours less endurance, 10,000 feet lower ceiling, etc.

Tail 4 may be part of the UCLASS program, or there may be another airframe that is going to be part of that program.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

OK, thanks.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
i wish they would have named it the blowback instead of the avenger

new topics

top topics

join