It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gallup first: more Americans now "pro-life" than "pro-choice"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
While I only believe in abortions being allowed to take place in the first trimester, this entire poll is probably bogus. There is a push to force religion into things, with even Ron Paul saying the constitution doesnt word a separation of state and religion, which it does, and all democracies are founded on that clear division. This is merely NLP and MC. With the fascist state that has emerged, and all of their lovely new studies that have discovered such things as: theres a brand new mental illness that those who question the government's official policies seem to have, and conspiracy theorists are mentally ill, and so forth and so on, you can no longer trust any polls done. They're all likely to be disinfo and deliberately misconstrued results.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard
You do know how polls are made right? To simply say "I wasn't polled" doesn't mean anything. Many people did not vote in this recent election, does that mean that the majority of the country did not want Obama in office? Probably not...the poll is probably closer to statistical accuracy than a guess you or any other person who says "I wasn't polled" could conjure up.

Well - let's see. I have been in discussion threads since ICQ.

Over the years I have conversed with a few who actually were involved in developing and initiating polls.

Their basic conceptualization of polls - - is don't trust them. Any poll can be manipulated/geared toward an intentional outcome.

Could the Gallup polls be just another organization corrupted by corporate fascism? Absolutely!

Of course - another answer is - people find religion when they are scared.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by johntime32
A baby is a life that has done nothing wrong and was killed, putting a person to death because of a terrible act, seems like that person made a decision, so they have to deal with it. I am pretty amazed in the poll though, I guess people are coming around

This is your belief.

A belief - should have no rule in government.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Good point. People are afraid of losing their jobs and homes..so the "come to Jesus". The tide will change again.

I am also curious how the question was presented. I know several people who would NEVER have an abortion themselves but are prochoice. So if they were face with having an abortion, they would not. I wonder if the question was misunderstood in any way.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I'm moderately pro-choice. I think the option should be there but it should have to be done early. Aborting a seven-month old fetus is barbaric.

Also I don't think abortion really helps in the case of rape - though it should be an option at an early phase like any unexpected pregnancy, I actually think having the baby would be more of a triumph over the rapist.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
reply to post by FredT

Are you trying to make being a "pro-lifer" an absolute philosophy?
Being a "pro-lifer" has nothing to do with the death penalty.

Actually it does. Both are based on what lives are worth saving.

As for me, I oppose DP unconditionally, and I oppose late-term abortion.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

Maybe I just don't know what I am talking about. But, I have always believed that most citizens of the U.S. of A., always rejected abortion, personally. As I recall, the "Roe vs. Wade" decision was rejected by most of Amerians, but recoginzed as a well, sort of, I guess it's okay because the SCOTUS says it's okay. It's the way it is and most people go along with such stuff.

The for abortion and against abortion issue will never be agreeabley decided by votes of the people. There's too many what if's involved. I have my own opinions about abortion. It surely isn't going to be accepted by everyone or a majority.

Example. I have a friend in Israel who has had 7 abortions. Her reason for the abortions is that she could not have brought these babies to full term without putting her and the babies in danger of them all in dying. I understand that. So, yeah, kill the baby, as I put it. So my friend says this is not birth control through killing a baby. Its just she could not bring the baby to full term. She's right. She was not physically able to bring the baby to full term. So abort it. But I wonder, why not prevent this baby from being born, er, being created? Why not use birth control in the first place? Well, my friend's husband doesn't like the feel of the condom. Well, isn't the result of not using a condom because someone doesn't want to use one, and the resulting baby who the mother can't bring to term and needs to be aborted, birth control? It's all strange to me. I guess I just don't understand and am an American! (ooh, nasty) as my friend suggests.

Is comfort, and feeling good. and knowing you can't bring a baby to full term a good reason to kill a baby? I guess I might not know the answer, since I am male, and, maybe, an American.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Pro-Choice is NOT Pro-Abortion - - its Pro-Choice.

There are many who do not support government legislating a person's body.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
This doesn't make sense - since this report in 2008: GALLUP - Americans Believe Religion is Losing Clout - December 23, 2008 - Fewer Americans than any time in the past few decades believe religion is gaining influence in America (27%), while 67% think it is losing influence. Further, an all-time Gallup low of 53% think religion provides the answers to all or most of ... www.gallup.com...

So, the only way you can see someone being Pro-Life is for that person to be religious?
That's quite profound. The only way someone can consider a developing human fetus as a person that should be protected is to find faith in a higher power. Again,

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Im curious about how many of the "Pro Lifers" support the death penalty?

Or conversely and just as hypocritical:

How many pro-abortion people are against the death penalty?

And to all the "I wasn't polled" posters:

Do you personally have to be polled in every poll before you believe in the results, or is your problem just with the polls you would like to disagree with?

You all do understand how polling works, right? After much trial and error over time, the pollsters figure out which demographics accurately represent the total population. That's why a poll can show what people in general think about an issue without having to ask everyone - you in this case.

[edit on 5/16/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Seekerof

Front Page news at the NY Times is reserved for anything bashing religion...like the "poll" that showed atheism is on the rise. Front Page of the NY Times.

I wonder if this even gets a mention?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

This doesn't make sense - since this report in 2008: GALLUP - Americans Believe Religion is Losing Clout - December 23, 2008 - Fewer Americans than any time in the past few decades believe religion is gaining influence in America (27%), while 67% think it is losing influence. Further, an all-time Gallup low of 53% think religion provides the answers to all or most of ... www.gallup.com...

So, the only way you can see someone being Pro-Life is for that person to be religious?
That's quite profound. The only way someone can consider a developing human fetus as a person that should be protected is to find faith in a higher power. Again,

Are you yourself an Atheist? I find these curt emotional "snap backs" rather annoying.

There is never a blanket "one-fits-all" - on any subject. There is however - majority consensus. The majority of those against abortion are faith based - - I personally have had discussions with Atheists who are anti-abortion.

Also - the religious poll was taken in 2008 - the abortion poll is current. A lot has happened in the last year. People are worried and scared. I find it a rather disturbing phenomenon - - but when things become dire - people "find religion". Like those in prison.

So Yes - absolutely I find big bad scary times increases religious doctrine/dogma and has an effect on this type subject.

That is why I am an adamant supporter of absolute separation of church and state. Government must never be run by emotional fears.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Are you yourself an Atheist? I find these curt emotional "snap backs" rather annoying.

There is never a blanket "one-fits-all" - on any subject. There is however - majority consensus. The majority of those against abortion are faith based - - I personally have had discussions with Atheists who are anti-abortion.

Also - the religious poll was taken in 2008 - the abortion poll is current. A lot has happened in the last year. People are worried and scared. I find it a rather disturbing phenomenon - - but when things become dire - people "find religion". Like those in prison.

So Yes - absolutely I find big bad scary times increases religious doctrine/dogma and has an effect on this type subject.

That is why I am an adamant supporter of absolute separation of church and state. Government must never be run by emotional fears.

I am not an atheist, and neither am I tied to a religion. I believe not one religion got it all correct, and I also do not believe that a Pro Life stand can only exist in the presence of religion. I do believe that someone has to defend those who cannot defend themselves. Wonder how Pro Choice individuals feel about putting to death disabled people strictly for the convenience of another?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

I am not an atheist, and neither am I tied to a religion. I believe not one religion got it all correct, and I also do not believe that a Pro Life stand can only exist in the presence of religion. I do believe that someone has to defend those who cannot defend themselves. Wonder how Pro Choice individuals feel about putting to death disabled people strictly for the convenience of another?

DITTO - I am not an atheist, and neither am I tied to a religion.

Did you miss the part where I said I have conversed with Atheists who are anti-abortion?

You seem to be going off into your own issues - I am choosing not to follow.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Never
mind
disregard this post

[edit on 16-5-2009 by GuyverUnit I]

[edit on 16-5-2009 by GuyverUnit I]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

America may have a president and Congress that support abortion rights, but a new Gallup poll suggests that for the first time such a stance is not the majority view.

Ok it says for the first time it is pro life leaning, so that now makes it bogus?

When all the other times it was pro choice, I guess that would have made the polls bogus then also?

It a tie, lol

[edit on 123131p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

America may have a president and Congress that support abortion rights, but a new Gallup poll suggests that for the first time such a stance is not the majority view.

Ok it says for the first time it is pro life leaning, so that now makes it bogus?

When all the other times it was pro choice, I guess that would have made the polls bogus then also?

It a tie, lol

You're right - it is a tie.

Polls can be useful for different reasons in indicating a possible trend. But it is wise to understand changing the wording of one sentence could affect the outcome.

Discussion requires contribution - thus - here I am

Also - any thread with leanings toward religion influencing government to deny personal rights is a red flag for me.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

Originally posted by Seekerof
reply to post by FredT

Are you trying to make being a "pro-lifer" an absolute philosophy?
Being a "pro-lifer" has nothing to do with the death penalty.

Actually it does. Both are based on what lives are worth saving.

As for me, I oppose DP unconditionally, and I oppose late-term abortion.

100% in support of what you've said. Early abortions are the only kind that should be allowed. They know about fetal development and know what they're allowing and its only because they're evil that they have allowed this late term !!! The first trimester, and as close to 6 weeks as possible! Thats how its done in Canada, and the cost is completely covered, but early.
And I've never supported capital punishment. The entire concept is absolutely primitive and barbaric. Murder is murder no matter what side of the law you sit on.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by mystiq]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

. . . I am an adamant supporter of complete separation of Church and State - and Right of Choice to all decisions regarding ones own body - including euthanasia.

. . .

Funny thing is . . . do you have the right of choice for the baby's body and future life?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx

. . . I am an adamant supporter of complete separation of Church and State - and Right of Choice to all decisions regarding ones own body - including euthanasia.

. . .

Funny thing is . . . do you have the right of choice for the baby's body and future life?

That is your belief that a fetus is a viable being. It is not the governments job to determine or dictate individual belief.

I stand by my Right of Choice.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join