It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Hitchiker Stories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I was curious as to how many of you have or have heard a strange hitchhiker story. My reason being,
a few you years ago, my dad was on his way home from work and saw a straggly dirty man hitchhiking...Now my dad saw this person as someone that he as a christian could witness to.
He stopped, picked the man up, chit chatted for a few minutes and then began quoting scripture to the stranger. Dad said the man sat in the passengers seat listening and nodding...they got down the road just a few miles and the man said he would get out now...well, my dad stopped to let him out and the stranger, before exiting the car, looked at my dad and thanked him for the sciptures and told him that he had misquoted one of them which he then proceeded to quote correctly...they said their goodbyes, he thanked dad again and then he was gone...as in not there...I know it sounds strange...anyone have a similar story or experience??

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Greenize]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Well this one is not really a hitchhiker story but my dad once told me a story about this one time when there were driving up to their old camp in the woods. When they saw this large lumberjack looking man with a large 2 sided axe in the woods, which was strange cuz it was the middle of the night, anyway they thought they would pull over to see if the man needed help or something. But when they pulled over the man started running at that with a huge speed, an unnatural speed that seemed aggressive. This scared them so my dad gunned the car and speed off and in the review miror they looked back and when the man got to where they were he hit his axe into the ground repeatedly. Apparently in that area they found out that way back a lumberjack had went crazy and killed a bunch of people at a logging camp. So that event could have been related to that.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Hi, years ago I heard a story as quoted by a family friend about their sons car.....
2 brothers in their early twenty's were coming home from a night-out, travelling down a rural road, returning to their parents home; it was around 2am.
A couple were hitchhiking along this road. Finding confidence in being together, the brothers decided that it would be no harm to give them a ride.
While the young couple rode with them they asked a series of odd and inappropriate questions about world events, the date and others I cant recall; they mentioned that they had been in a car accident in this location some time ago.
After travelling approx. 5minutes, and still in isolation; they then requested to be let out. The brothers found this odd, but didnt object.
After resuming their journey, the driver looked in his rearveiw mirrors and could not detect that the couple were even along the road. enquiring with his brother they decided to reverse (as they had only travlled a few 100 meters. The couple were no where to be seen.
A little spooked the brothers continued home.
In the days that followed one brother that owned the vehicle noticed a rotten smell in it. He had the car detailed over weeks but could not rid the smell.
The brothers had also travelled back to their night time location, in the daylight; they were able to locate a burnt out car wreck.
The smell did not disipate from the car, forcing its sale. Propective buyers did not smell it!
This tale took place in the mid 1980's, in a rural area on the outskirts of Sydney, near Llandilo.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Well a few times i have got stuck one time i was riding my bike in the evening and got got stuck away from town in the dark so i found a house and used the phone i couldn't get a hold of anyone so the lady offered to drive me back into town and gave me a bible booklet which was fine. Once i got stuck in another town at night in the winter a was trying to get a lift to the next to town after about a half later hour some nice people gave me a lift they spoke about the bible a little bit and gave me a booklet too. I am thankful to them for helping me i can talk about quit a few things, i don't mind listening so the drives didn't bother me.Well i guess that it.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by SimpleKnowledge]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I was driving once and I picked up a weird guy who kept saying the world was about to end, he said his name was Ford Prefect and that his cousin Zaphod would explain everthing. I told him to get out of the car after he called me a Vogon. Weird I know.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I heard this story from my father.
Isn't exactly a hitchhiker story but in the same theme.
About 30 years ago he was driving a van and he picked up two women (as passengers) they wanted to go to Lami (a town) which was about 7 miles away. They both sat in the back. When he neared Lami he turned around to ask them exactly where they wanted to go, and they just were not there anymore.

Another Story:
About 2 years ago a person in our employment died while he was drinking with friends. A few months ago my father was going somewhere and he saw the said person (who died) driving a taxi. My father tried to follow him but lost him in traffic. About two weeks after that, I was with my father and we were going to the town, and once again we see the same person driving the same taxi. This time the traffic was less and we were able to follow him. We tried getting him to stop but he wouldn't. So we followed him for about 45 minutes, at which time he sped up and turned into a side road, we thought we had him now. Do note that the road he turned into is a dead end and none of the houses had driveways. And when we turned in literally seconds after he did, he isn't there, and neither is the taxi we were following.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
i have a classic hitchhiker story for you. it is about famous actor Tele Savalas (aka kojak )

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 16-5-2009 by grantbeed]

[edit on 16-5-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I had a rider this past winter that literally scared me to the point of panic. I weigh in at close to 300lbs, I am completely comfortable working with people I dont know in very distant and isolated places so when I was in the very un-populated and overly cold NW Alberta between Christmas and New Years 08' and saw an older man thumbing I thought Id be neighborly. The weather at the time was nothing tropical, we were reaching -40c and snow was blowing dreadfully, it was nearing 0300 and blizzard conditions were to be expected all night. We were 30 minutes north of a town called Manning where the next town is just shy of 3 hours to the north. This man jumps into my truck (oilfield medical unit) and we exchange pleasantries before I trudge through the blowing snow.

The guy I picked up wasnt at all dressed for the weather but it didnt seem to have bothered him at all. For almost 45 minutes he just sat quietly and smoked from time to time. He had told me that he was going to a town called Rainbow Lake (about 4.5 hours by car from where I picked him up) to see his sister, then never spoke at all for many miles before he snapped his head to me and said quietly "You shouldnt have picked me up, you should have just moved on, this will all be your own doing".

Scared. Instantly scared. Here I am in quite possibly the most out of the way place in Alberta with no cell reception and very few cars meeting us on the highway. I went cold and tachy right away, my hands glued to the wheel speechless. I snuck a glance his way only to see him again smoking and just sitting like nothing had happened. A few clicks go by and I have no idea what to do. I wanted to pull a Lethal Weapon and throw him out of the truck but his pretty little phrasing of the queens english had me terrified. About 10 minutes had gone by since he told me I shouldnt have picked him up when he breaks into a story. The details of it are long so ill sum it up as best I can.

He had been in Edmonton staying at a shelter before and over Christmas, he had been traveling around looking for work and had ended up in Alberta trying to get some oilfield jobs but his luck wasnt panning out. One night in the shelter he said a man came into his room and attacked him, he said his attacker was yelling at him that he was a demon. After the attack he woke up at a hospital unsure of what happened. He walked out of the hospital and started wandering. Had caught some rides but the drivers were all 'Satan'. So he was with me but I was apparently not Satan. All the while he was telling me his story he kept repeating that I shouldnt have picked him up.

We were about 70 kilometers south of a town called High Level when he looked at me saying that he didnt want to hurt me because "I had an old soul" so he asked me to stop and let him out.

Being still absolutely terrified but never once able to do anything but drive. I couldnt will myself to do anything buy keep the wheels moving. I stopped, he got out, looked at me and his parting words were "I was going to cut you down".

A flush of terror rose in me so badly that my heart felt like it was going to burst. I drove from that man so fast I almost went into the ditches several times. As soon as I could control myself I called the RCMP in High Level and told them all that had happened, they sent out a search but it yielded no people on the road and I never heard of anything afterwards.

Still his words chill me when I think back on them. That horrifying night in sub-zero blizzard driving with a man that almost hypnotized me in his presence.

It had me in a state of panic for almost 2 days as I realized that if he was truly out to kill, my family might have been getting a late night call telling of my demise.

Horrible way to spend the holidays, when I told my finance she almost stroked out.

So.... that was the last time Ill ever stop for a thumber.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
here's another utube hitchhiker story...fast forward to about 4 minutes

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Years ago, when I was a student living in Santa Fe, I picked up a couple of hitchhikers. Apparently they hitchhiked home from work on a regular basis.

Honest to god, the scent of their bad-odor remained in my van for nearly a week; it was the first and last time I gave them a lift.

F

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by remotemedic

I can not even imagine the fear that you must have felt! That is the scariest thing I have ever heard!! Thank goodness that it worked out the way that it did!!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by remotemedic

dude, that's HARSH! Great story though, despite it all, and you told it well.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
This is a great thread... i can almost feel the campfire lol
.... great story's tho teaching me to never pick up a hitchhiker

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
good stories. i dont think i will ever pick up a hitchhiker!!!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I would like to add that this man also told my dad that in the future if he was going to quote scripture, to be sure he quoted it correctly...

These are great stories! I have an uncle who is quite the jokester, and one day there was a couple hitching just before crossing the bridge over into Missouri, my uncle stopped and asked the couple if they were tired of walking, to which they replied "yes, we sure are", my uncle then said well run a while and drove away...that seemed funny to me until just now...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I was in the Smokies hiking into a town off of the Appalachian trail and got picked up by a ranger who recognized me as a thru hiker - unshaven, smelly, dirty, tired, hiking in the rain ect. ect.
This ranger told me about a hiker who had thumbed a ride out of town to the trail and four days later he saw her hiking back into town. Apparently she had walked north 2 days, gotten turned around and hiked back south for two days by accident. She was suprised to see him until he told her where she was.

top topics

join