It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food for Bugging Out/Bugging In

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
After reading the survival forums tonight I got to thinking back about various recipes I've seen in the past and wondering how they can be applied to some of the situations I fear we will be facing in the near future. (i.e. depression, recession, tshtf, etc.) My curiosity got me to doing some internet searches and I thought I'd come here and share some of the recipes and ideas that I came across.

For BOB's .. Energy Bars seem to be the thing most people feel are a necesary part. Light weight and small. Here are some of the recipes I found.

The first recipe I looked up is easy and no bake. It contains Peanut Butter, Honey and Oats. Add some dark chocolate (70% cocoa) chips to them and you have (imo) the perfect bar!

No-Bake Peanut Butter Energy Bars

You can buy Organic Peanut Butter (or almond butter) if you want to be sure your energy bars are organic. As well as purchasing raw (uncooked) honey.

Now for those who have the time and/or inclination to grow your own Peanuts this could be even more "natural" as you could make your own peanut (or almond) butter.

Homemade Peanut Butter

Here are some from "The Biggest Looser Blog". Figure if they're good enough for them!!! Get my drift?

Energy Bars - The Best Homemade Energy Bar Recipes

------------------------

Another food item I was looking into were various ways of making bread. Even if you did stock up on yeast, wheat grain, etc. you may want to try this recipe!

Of all the known breads, the simplest and possibly the most nutritious is Essene sprouted grain bread. An ancient recipe for this unusual loaf appears in the first century Aramaic manuscript entitled The Essene Gospel of Peace (from which the bread derives its name). It dates back to prehistoric days when wafers made from a grain and water paste were cooked on sun-heated stones.

How to Make Sprouted Grain Essene Bread: The Whole Grain Bread Recipe

And if you have a dutch oven and the necessary ingredients but don't want to spend alot of time "kneading" your bread ... try this one!

Easy, No Knead Crusty Bread

Don't want to stock up on yeast? Forgot to stock up on yeast? Not a problem! As long as you have enough to start the dough for 1 batch of homemade bread, some salt, sugar & potatoes you're good to go!

HOME-BAKED BREAD FROM POTATO WATER STARTER

---------------------------

Did you know you could can "butter"??? I sure didn't but now that I do .... here's the instructions .... Canned Butter Recipe

-----------------------------

There are a whole slew of disaster survival recipes on this webpage ... Disaster Survival Food Pantry Basics
Keeping your pantry stocked is the first step to survival food

-----------------------------

I've seen a few threads on here about Jerky so I'm not going to go into alot of detail about it here. However, I did find this website and thought it was worth mentioning.

Jerky and Pemmican- Survival Food

----------------------------

Anyone else have any other good ideas/recipes to add?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
You want to look towards portability and water is always the 1st issue. You can go a while without food, but lack of potable water will kill you in days.

While many here look down on MRE's they have several advantages. They are cheap if bought in bulk, last a long time, are easily portable, and since they are wet packed and precooked, they can be eaten cold, right out of the bag.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
MRE's are definately an "option" for bugging out.

However, the OP is for more natural foods. We all talk about GMO foods and all the chemicals and preservatives that are put into our every day food, so I thought I would post some more natural and healthy options.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by cnichols

Well done...

Thank-you very much.
I have no recipes to add at this time but sure would like to see some more.

Again...well done..

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cnichols

Thanks. Good stuff. I S&F'd you especially for the sprouted bread recipe.

My take - Stock up on dried everything. Dried fruit, veggies, beans. Whole grains too. All this stuff will keep forever.

You'll need lots of extra water to reconstitute the dried goods, besides drinking needs. Have plenty of containers on hand - fill them up when things start to look dicey, and don't forget the tub .

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Stocking up on dried things is good.

Stocking up and drying YOUR OWN things is even better! When it comes to rehydrating your food the general rule of thumb is a ratio of 1:1.

Using sprouts to supliment your diet is a great thing to do. There are numerous vitimins in sprouted seeds. And there are plenty of seeds you can sprout and eat.

Here's a great website I found on Growing and Using Sprouts

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
When and if it comes time to bug out, I'm not going to be too worried, differentiating between "natural" foods, and foods packed with all sorts of additives.

I'm going to be interested in one thing: calories.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I applaud the healthy organic aspect of your concern..BUT if in fact there is a reason to bug out, you should realize that your home grown foods will only last so long..like Dooper had said,calories...fat and protein..if infact the SHTF on a royal scale would you be willing to kill your food?

Oh,the things to ponder..Prepare for the worse,hope for the best..

In this day and age,allot of people will die from there own habits..

the rule of three applies..
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

thats what your body can handle before going south..

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Redpillblues

The thing some people are apprently missing is this is #1 not JUST for bugging out. #2 some of the things I've mentioned can be EASILY adapted to bugging out. #3 I'm not, by any means, saying you can ONLY use these recipes!

Packets of seeds are small and extremely light. Therefore sprouting is a great option for bugging out. And while I don't argue that calories are important (hence the original recipes for energy bars) vitamins are also crucial.

new topics

top topics

join