It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

.50 Caliber Fire Power Compilation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Forgive me if there is a similar thread, I saw threads with stand alone .50's, but not one with multiple variations...
I also used the "ats" tags instead of the "img" tags to get the images to show, is that ok? or do I need to switch them back?
My 1st Topic...

So me and my uncle got a talking about his 357 and 45, which brought me to that particular thread.
We then began to sidestep away, and he mentioned the .50 cal revolver.
I for one never heard of the revolver, the snipers, yes, but not the actual revolver. Then I fount out that the Desert Eagle comes in the same flavor. And I began to research from there.
Well here is what I found, just doing a quick browse...

The .50 Browning Machine Gun (12.7x99mm NATO) or .50 BMG is a cartridge developed for the Browning .50 Caliber machine gun in the late 1910s. Entering service officially in 1921, the round is based on a greatly scaled-up .30-06 cartridge. The cartridge itself has been made in many variants: multiple generations of regular ball, tracer, armor piercing, incendiary, and saboted sub-caliber rounds. The rounds intended for machine guns are linked using metallic links.

Source: .50 BMG - wiki

Smith&Wesson 500 Magnum Revolver

Sweet jesus I want that baby!!

Smith & Wesson Emergency Survival Kit, Model 500 Magnum, .50 Cal.

"Emergency Survival Kit"
Thats it, I'm ditching my .22....j/k

Barret .50 cal

M82 .50 caliber

1 bullet=$7 Weight: 31 lb Barrel Length: 737mm Caliber: .50 BMG Muzzle velocity: 850m/s Effective Range: 1800m Cost: around $8000

Barrett M107 .50 Caliber sniper rifle

Holy mother of meat, the bullet is like a small artillery shell!
Not only are you "down" when your hit...your "everywhere" when your hit, haha...

Desert Eagle .50 review

Nice clean looking firearm, "Brushed Chrome."

Various Photos

There is a .50 BMG at one of my local firearm dealers for I think it was around $4200, somethin like that.
It looked mighty tempting, but my wallet said otherwise, haha...

Any of you own any of these beasts?

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Solofront]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I've been lucky enough (or, in some cases, unlucky enough) to fire several of the weapons on your list.

Ma Deuce is a very sweet lady. Treat her with respect, she's earned it. If she ever decides to move in with me, she's more than welcome. *grin*

The Barrett M82A1 is a sweet piece of engineering. It's very accurate, not nearly as hard on the shooter as some people think, and overall a real joy to shoot. Now that I've sung its praises, I also have to say that it's probably overkill for anyone who doesn't make a habit of hunting Bradley Fighting Vehicles. I'd rather use a .308.

Desert Eagle's .50 isn't a true .50. It's also not a very good pistol (this is strictly my opinion, YMMV). I'm not exactly a small-handed person, but even for me, the grips don't feel comfortable, the pistol itself doesn't have good balance (a subjective call, I'll admit), and as with the Barrett rifle, it's overkill. In the case of the Desert Eagle, it's not only overkill in the sense of "You don't need that much stopping power for anything on two legs", it's overkill in the sense that by the time you haul that hunk of cast iron out of your holster, someone with a lighter and more handy weapon will already have at least one hole in your a...errr...anatomy.

The S&W 500 has better grips and balance than the Desert Eagle, and it's a true .50 cal. Other than that, the same commentary applies. As an example of the gunsmith's art, it's great. As a practical weapon, it's too big, too unwieldy, and has far too much recoil.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by Brother Stormhammer]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I just remembered this thread, lol

So...any of you own a .50cal firearm?

I really really want the Smith&Wesson 500 Magnum Revolver, not the snubnosed version, but the regular length one.

Also, is it possible to get a retractable bi-pod for the revolver?

I've seen revolvers with bi-pods before, but wondering if the recoil would be to great for it?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I dont own any personally but a close friend owns the 500 magnum revolver a Desert Eagle and a simple bolt 50 rifle. It's not a Barrett. Some other manufacturer. The name escapes me at the moment. It looks like a long piece of pipe with a bolt and a grip.

They're all great novelties I guess. The 500 magnum is the only one ever getting any use as you can bag a moose or bear with it but the others only ever come out when he's showing them to somebody. They cost way too much to shoot so they never see any range time. Plus, the range we belong to has a max lane of 1000 yards and that's hardly worth dragging that rifle out for.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Solofront

TY for the laugh...really I'm still giggling

I can't answer your question, but the image came to me of seeing someone allbut beat to death by a bi-pod flailing around like a wip.

I see all kinds of mis-haps on the range here, from bloody eyebrows and poor scope relief, to pistols hitting ppl in the head or flying past them landing on the ground behind them.

But the visual image of a flailing bi-pod is the best.

Myself I use a cane or walking stick, while hunting with a pistol, and would not want to see te results of the recoil if the gun was securly attached to my stick...

Again ty

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Holiday
I can't answer your question, but the image came to me of seeing someone allbut beat to death by a bi-pod flailing around like a wip.

wtf, if you can't anwer the question, then why the...nevermind, next!

thisguyrighthere, both me and my dad want the revolver, well actually, we want every firearm, lol but speciffacly the .50 magnum. Though I do picture the rifle on our wall, how awesome would the look of that be!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Solofront

If you're gonna get a Barrett 50 BMG, may as well pick up one of these too

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
i shot 50 bmg in both auto an d bolt. if you are used to shooting high powered rifles they aren't that bad but i don't recommend spending an hour shooting them-you will lose your shoulder. autos have less recoil. actually ithink my 338 kicks harder.
and the ammo is very expensive if you can even find it and also expensive to reload.
as for the pistol in 50 just a little bit more than the 44 mag in recoil and remeber the longer the barrel the less recoil. but after you blow a few rounds off in it you will want to put it down and nurse your wrist for a few days.
and didn't the british have a 577 webley? only 3 chambers in it and that thing was a cannon going to do a quick search

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
and yes they did it was called the 577 boxer which was the most powerful handgun cartridge at the time.

top topics

join