It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BSE found in Alberta dairy cow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

BSE found in Alberta dairy cow

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has confirmed a case of mad cow disease in an older dairy animal in Alberta, the 16th case detected since 2003.

The agency says the cow with bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or BSE, was 6½ years old. It says no part of the animal's carcass entered the human food or animal feed chains.

The animal's birth farm has been identified and an investigation is underway.

"The age and location of the infected animal are consistent with previous cases detected in Canada," said the CFIA, which has blamed infected feed for most of the earlier cases of the disease.

www.cbc.ca...

First H1N1 infected pigs in Alberta and now a confirmed case of mad cow disease in the same province. I wonder how or if this is going to affect the meat industry in Canada. Alberta has been taking a pounding since the news broke about the infected pigs. Reported BSE cases could be another kick to the teeth.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieSlayer

First H1N1 infected pigs in Alberta and now a confirmed case of mad cow disease in the same province. I wonder how or if this is going to affect the meat industry in Canada. Alberta has been taking a pounding since the news broke about the infected pigs. Reported BSE cases could be another kick to the teeth.

True.

But an idea whose time has come, IMO. ...And not just for Alberta.

Sucks to be a carnivore. I mean that in every way.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I've been a vegetarian my entire life, I've only eaten meat once and that was cooked chicken hearts on a stick on an island in Brazil. Luckily I had a bottle of vodka and some limes to wash it down

Even being a vegetarian though doesn't keep us completely safe. Just this past year there were a few cases of contaminated spinach among other vegetables being recalled both in Canada and the US.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieSlayer

Even being a vegetarian though doesn't keep us completely safe. Just this past year there were a few cases of contaminated spinach among other vegetables being recalled both in Canada and the US.

You're lucky it's late, else I'd overwhelm you with info, data and links. To sum up, you are totally right. None of our food is safe.

Here are just a few ATS references that touch on the larger situation.

about Prions

Crossing Super-Kingdom Barriers

Rats, flies likely to spread avian influenza

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Prions are a bit more frightening than even viruses, IMO.

For example, as protein pieces, they flow through the same filters that catch even the most minute virus. They can "live" or hide for decades (espescially in neural tissue) and are undetectable by blood work, radiological testing, etc.

Interestingly, prions are believed to be expressed by our introns- the "junk DNA" that comprises most of our genetic material, but isis fact, mostly conserved genes from species from which we evolved, and viral and retroviral material. Prios are as old as life, itself.

In a former lab I had to have a kid kicked out for handling fetal bovine serum without protection. He thought it was safe as it had been screened for blood-borne pathogens. But prions slip right through.

Many neuro researchers now believe prions are responsible for most degenerative diseases of the brain, such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, etc., not to mention BSE and C-J syndrome.

Anyone want to go out for a steak????

The presence of BSE in Alberta is disquieting- in light of the farming practices that encourage reassortment- keep your heads up.

Great post- thank you!

new topics

top topics

join