It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we remove "In God We Trust" from the dollar before its worthless?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Most people seem to think that the dollar will fall and be replaced as the world currency. That being the case, wouldn't you want the words "In God We Trust" removed from the dollar before this happens?

It would seem odd to some that the dollar we trusted to God became worthless. And isn't money a symbol of greed anyway?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I don't see why we need "In God We Trust" on our money, well, the Fed's money, anyway.Instead, maybe the phrase, "Obey, Trust Us" would be a more fitting motto.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The motto IN GOD WE TRUST was placed on United States coins largely because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the Civil War.

I think in today's society it doesn't mean as much as it did back then. I can see a few people thinking about it, but for the most part a lot of people simply don't care, as long as they have the money they can care less what's actually printed on it and the history behind it.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
content edit...

Thanks for the reminder anon...

[edit on 5/15/2009 by chapter29]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Well....This question has NOTHING to do with religion, at least not in my opnion.

If we go and remove things from the dollar bill (whether you were being sarcastic or not), it will just help to desensitize people to more changes, including the elimination of our currency.

How about we stand up for our traditions, and our country? And please don't try to throw in that it is ironic that God is printed on a struggling currency...has everything to do with people, not God.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
A lot of difference it's gonna make now, it's too late anyway.
The dollar is worthless now because this country no longer trusts in God!
Go figure.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by wyleecoyote
Most people seem to think that the dollar will fall and be replaced as the world currency. That being the case, wouldn't you want the words "In God We Trust" removed from the dollar before this happens?

It would seem odd to some that the dollar we trusted to God became worthless. And isn't money a symbol of greed anyway?

I think it would be a great idea to retain it to remind you of the ultimate worthlessness of both.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Yes. It's quite the coincidence that the us is going down, down, down, and church attendance is doing the same. Just sayin', it gives me a chuckle when we have to ignore that.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by wyleecoyote

Most definitely the answer is that whether the phrase is removed is irrelevant. The phrase makes five or so people uncomfortable. I don't care. The world does not revolve around them. Separation of church and state means nothing more than pastors should not boss around politicians and vice versa. That is it. The dollar bill does nothing to command anyone to do any thing or even pressure them to do anything.

As far as I'm concerned its extremely obvious that any attempt to remove the phrase is simply a violation of the freedom of religion and attempts to remove it are anti-freedom tyrannical attacks on our constitution. And again, this is because the phrase is not a command but just a motto or slogan which we may handily ignore without fear of any consequences.

The radical zealot type atheists hate religion with a passion, and the movement to remove the word "God" is just a hate-based attack by people who have no problem ignoring people's rights and freedoms for the sake of them feeling a little better. Its wrong and it should stop immediately. Many Christians wrongly believe atheists are a threat to their freedoms, but this sort of thing just suggests they are actually right in at least some cases. Indeed, these atheists are sacrificing the right of the people to collectively express them self through government. These radicals are afraid of the word "God" and it may be some sort of phobia.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest......

In a secular state, why is that phrase on the money in the first place.
Religion/faith should be a choice, not an imposition and I guess that this is what the phrase on your money is, an imposition. It wasn't always on your paper, so why is it now? (rhetorical).

You go on about rights and freedoms. i hope you realise the hypocracy as religion denies the rights and freedoms of many many people.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by aorAki]

top topics

join