It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question Concerning Military Firearm Owners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Being a military man with a family and a strong supporter of POW's (Personally Owned Weapons), I am constantly reading articles about the Government wanting to initiate another "assault weapons" ban and/or confiscate firearms. All the articles I read about government weapon confiscation is about civilians, and I am curious to know where service members would fall into this little shindig.

I am a law-abiding citizen in good standing with my community, have no criminal record and am in the US military. I have enough firearms and ammunition for my wife and myself to handle any situation that requires use of such tools, and all of them are bought/registered legally. Now, if you aren't in the military or are fairly ignorant to the way things are done concerning this, if you own a firearm and live within 150 miles (usually) of a military installation, you must register your firearm with the post in which you are stationed. All of my weapons have gone through the paperwork and are legal on post here.

However, the thing that bothers me the most is that suppose if our government were to try and disarm everybody, I would assume that they would eventually come a knockin' on my door "politely asking" for me to turn in my firearms, which would put me in a very awkward place. Being a soldier, i would want to do the right thing, but being a VERY strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment, I would feel inclined not to turn in my weapons.

Originally, I thought I was the only military type who had thought of this, but I've asked quite a few military personnel who own firearms what they would do in this particular situation, and ALL of them said that they would prefer anything over the willing surrender of their POW's.

There are a lot of ignorant people out there who believe that the military are a bunch of mindless machines, but i can assure that in a situation like the one mentioned above and all over this website, that many military men would rather suffer a negative consequence rather than go with the herd and do what they're told.

I would like to broaden my search of military members, soldiers from different branches/posts who own POW's, and I would also like to know your opinion on this matter. I know this whole "disarming" of citizens is a logistical nightmare and would be quite difficult to achieve peacefully, I am just curious to see what other members' opinions would be on the matter. Mind you that I am not trying to sway a vote or influence people in any manner, I am simply curious to see if anyone has something to contribute to this hypothetical that crosses my mind from time to time.

I apologize if this is not in the right forum, I haven't been on this site in a good while, and still have yet to get fully acquainted with it for now.

-The Squirrel

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Squirrel,

I was unaware of the rules and regs you, the most patriotic of citizens, had to endure. We the people are counting on you, whether active or inactive military, to help us defend our Constitution and our Second Amendment Rights. Please let us know from you and any other military men and women who are going to be with us when the Feds try to take our guns from us. You swore an oath to defend us against all enemies whether they be foreign or domestic. Anyone that tries to take any of my rights is an enemy of our beloved Constitution that you have sworn to protect. Please tell me that none of you will even consider giving up your POW's. I am not a member of the military but am armed to the teeth with enough force to hold them off until help arrives and I was and am still counting on you to help us remain a free republic with rights that are not granted but governed with my permission. My beliefs were that the military would side with the American people because it has been your blood that has maintained our rights for over 200 years. If I am wrong, please let us know so that we can make other plans.

"Edit spelling"

[edit on 5/15/2009 by Monteriano]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Thank you for your post, Sneak,

Look my friend, from my experience you have two options concerning your POWs:

1. Remove them from your on-post housing and put them in a secure location off the installation. By doing this, they would not push the issue in having your POWs confiscated if that so called event were to happen.

2. Move yourself and your family (I'm assuming you're married and not in the barracks) off the installation and find an off post apartment or house to rent. Same principle as the 1st option.

It's either that or allow them to take possession. Trust me you wouldn't want to disobey an order from the installation's Provost Marshall. The result of that decision being that you would be receiving a field grade Article 15 or perhaps even a general court marshall proceeding.

Just my 2 cents, but I was a V5 for 5 years and a 95B for 8 total.

Oh and there's absolutely no difference between a civilian and military member in regards to owning a POW...If anything, it is worst for the service member because they have to follow way stricter guidelines.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by OnTheFelt]

[edit on 15-5-2009 by OnTheFelt]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by OnTheFelt

well, the thing about that, i do live on post, and i am allowed to keep my weapons in my housing, even if i did move off post, my firearms would still have to be registered since i live within 150 miles of post

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Just a suggestion, as I was in this very situation myself at one time, although they seem to have expanded the off base range... 150 miles seems a bit far... I don't remember what it was when I registered mine. I lived on base though, so the point's kind of moot.

Just off the cuff, the way I see it, there are two things you can do. The first one is only "hypothetical" and I in no way encourage you to do this: (wink wink)... You could "sell" the firearms to a relative (say mom or dad) and keep the POW's secure at your location... very quietly. You're looking at some serious UCMJ trouble if you get busted though, so think that one through very carefully...

or...

If it comes to that, you could tell them what I'm going to tell them if they knock on MY door... (I am no longer active though, so I have a bit more leeway...None)

Sure you can have my firearms... one round at a time!

Good luck, hope it never comes to that.

By the way, I KNOW from you're OP and it's tone that you'll be on the right side when TSHTF.

Fight the good fight brother.

[edit on 15/5/09 by cbianchi513]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Absolutely, but that goes without saying. Now, I don't know how long you've been in, but it's my guess that this is your first enlistment, so if you don't mind I'll give you a little advice on how to handle this.

This potential "event" taking place is still on the back burner, yes, you as well as I believe that it is just a matter of time till our worst fears are realized and we lose our 2nd amendment rights. Until then all you can do is be ready.

However, with that being said, I would just leave it alone for now. Look your doing the right thing, your POWs are registered with the PMO (Provost Marshal Office), that's the military police station for you non military folk, and so there's nothing more you can do but keep your ears peeled for updates concerning POW's and stay informed with your leadership. Go to your squad leader/section chief (don't know what branch you are) and tell them the situation.

Basically, talk to anyone you can trust in your chain of command and let them know your concerns. If the time comes where you think it's gonna happen pick one of the options I mentioned before. Look off post checks are a joke. There borderline unconstitutional, and have strict guidlines. When your leadership does a health and welfare check, it is nothing close to a search and seizure. They are very limited at what they can investigate. I would move the POWs to a secured location and then just inform your chain of command you gave them away to a family member. It's really that easy.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cbianchi513

yea, the mileage has increased since ive been in, it used to be 100 miles about a year ago, then they added another 50 to it sometime ago, the 'selling' of my weapons and keeping them at my house would present a problem, because i do get somewhat periodic inspections of my living areas, and my NCO's know when i get new weapons and all that.

going out in a 'blaze of glory' type deal seems rather counter-productive to me, i would be EXTREMELY reluctant to relinquish my firearms, i would look for the least violent way to get out of there.

I assume that once it gets to this point that there would already be a decent amount of civil unrest and that lines would need to be drawn, and getting out of the military at that point would seem like a good idea.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

here in the next few months, my post housing lease expires and ill be able to move off post and reclaim my BAH, seems like the better option, living on post is more convenient, but too much BS if you know what I mean, thanks for the advice though

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SneakySquirrel

I agree, neither one of my "options" are entirely realistic in your particular scenario. Like I said, I'll most likely be long gone by the time that knock comes, so it'll hopefully be a non-issue for me.

I understand you don't have that luxury of "bugging out", so... Like OnTheFelt suggested, move off base and secure them in a very good spot, or keep them registered with the PMO and keep your ear to the ground.

Of all of us, unfortunately, you active duty types may be some of the last on this board to know when TSHTF. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but as we all know, it happens.

Like I said, good luck brother.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

That is true, us lower enlisted types are always on a 'need to know' basis, and we are never in the need to know category, simply a "go here and wait, then do this"

but yea, getting off post sounds like the best option for me to do right now and get my weapons to a safe place.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SneakySquirrel

That is true, us lower enlisted types are always on a 'need to know' basis, and we are never in the need to know category, simply a "go here and wait, then do this"

You mean "hurry up and wait" is still the secret motto of the services?

Some things never change.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Also, stop advertising the fact that you have POWs, particulary when/if you move off post. You'll be fine, trust me as a married soldier myself I always live off post and never once had my place searched.

Yeah, you gotta go through all the BS of giving your chain of command a strip map of where you live and emergency numbers and all that good stuff. But the only way they're coming to your place is if you're habitually late to formations, they suspect drugs or WEAPONS, or they think there's domestic violence going on.

Good luck! Stay alert, stay alive.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

all im saying is no one is safe. if you dont believe me than maybe you will believe the department of homeland security, the very agency that is supposed to protect the american citizens is pretty much turning against them. look into their LEXICON document in pdf. it paints such a broad brush that every american could be a terrorist in one way or another. better yet heres the link to the pdf.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

all im saying is no one is safe. if you dont believe me than maybe you will believe the department of homeland security, the very agency that is supposed to protect the american citizens is pretty much turning against them. look into their LEXICON document in pdf. it paints such a broad brush that every american could be a terrorist in one way or another. better yet heres the link to the pdf.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by middleclasssoldier

No worries for you guys that are still active... I'm the type they're concerned about. The ones that are coming home from the sandbox after having seen what that BS is all about.

Just don't fly a Gadsden flag, or talk about states' rights... You'll be fine.

Until you stop reupping...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

the only time i have mentioned anything about my POW's to my chain of command is that i need their signatures on my registration form, other than that i tend to keep to myself.

about the health and welfare inspections, my company has recently had some incidents in which we are now leading the brigade in incidents, so they decided to go crazy and ensure that everyone is not in possession of anything theyre not supposed to have

top topics

join