It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser-like signal coming from Tucanae (not Gliese 581e)???

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky In the interview linked by m0r, he explains how Gliese 581e is only visible in the Southern Hemisphere.

Signal didn't come from Gliese 581E

'The signal we detected came from the southern constellation Tucanae" - Ragbir

Gliese 581E is part of a system that has 4 planets

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3d02208c5943.gif[/atsimg]

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

It's an exciting possibility wherever it hails from. The notion that we could be on the cusp of compelling evidence of ETI...that it existed somewhere in time...just exciting. The abstract nature of such potential evidence might be more acceptable than flying saucers are ET/ID vagabonds.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Disclosure may be here, there is way too many things coming out, like the Vatican's comment, the press thing on monday, posts like this.
Its going to happen in our lifetime, thats for sure

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
For scholarly purposes I think it's important to link to a more recent thread regarding a supposed 100% chance of life in the region of Gliese 581 (g in this case).

With so many trained eyes looking around that region I would hope that the Australian observatory would be fully staff to detect a potential 3rd signal from our upcoming sweep of the region.

If it is indeed pointing directly to Earth then paranoia hats on because that's some hawkeyed shizzle to put down to chance.

Perhaps peaceful bread bearing nice aliens have loved our transmitted culture via radiowaves and want to pay their MIAA and RIAA fines for illegal downloading.

Or perhaps they've pinpointed our position and are about to come and gobble us up.

Either way - fairly excited about this scientific discovery of '100%' life, especially given that it's so close to this other fascinating phenomena.

-m0r

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

The signal was not from Gliese 581e. Look up a couple of posts for the most recent pointing out of the error.

edit on 9/30/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Cheers Phage, in the other thread I linked to about '100%' life I don duffed my fickle hat and stated that 'e' could be some sort of solar powered communications beacon or other imaginative, and unfounded, ideas.

Same solar system - makes for ATS yummy juice

-m0r

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Not the same solar system. Not even close.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Interesting. obviously it wouldnt be put out there for everyone to see. If they just drop the topic no one will be confused by the fact that they cant say that theres ET life when they find it

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

There is of course other life in the universe. Few scientists dispute it. What they do dispute is that lifes ability to traverse the vast distances in order to visit Earth. Under our current knowledge of physics it would not be possible.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
As far as I understand Gliese 581 is in the Libra Constellation which is pretty far from the Tuscana constellation where the laser like signal originally detected from. What I don't get is how could there be a confusion about a southern Tuscanae star and Gliese 581 in the first place?

When the news about the laser came out we didn't know that Gliese 581g was an Earth like planet back in 2009...Or did we? Maybe someone from the inside tried to point us in the right direction

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by bilb_o

Now that's what I'm talking about - conspiratorial undertones.

Why was it even mentioned if it is nowhere near the supposed signal?

-m0r

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Revive this thread, it seems to fit in with the news of the recently habitable planet discovered!
Exciting times indeed.!!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Not the same solar system. Not even close.

Close enough for a highly advanced civilisation to have colonised.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
www.geek.com...

Looks like we , we may have the possibility of FTL , if this gets further research and development
this could very well be the stepping stone to FTL spaceships

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Some information about this signal originally reported in the VBS Blog in an interview with Dr Bhathal:

"Q: Great! So you discovered E.T.I.

A: Well, the problem is with physics, to make a claim that you found something you have to then reproduce it again and again. That was the problem that stumped us. We went back to the same position and we still haven’t found it. So what I did then was get all my data and I gave it to another chap who does what we call signal processing. You know, give it to someone else to take a fresh look at the whole thing and tell me whether there is a signal there or not. So he did that, and he came back and said that there is a signal there. It’s confirmed, there is a signal there. But the problem is, what is that signal, you see? And that is the problem we have now. We need to search some more space.

Q: And how exactly do you do that?

A: Well, when you search for E.T, you automatically make a lot of assumptions. The chaps (the original S.E.T.I scientists) who were doing the radio wave technology believed that, if there were an E.T.I, then they would be sending signals on the radio wave. Well, they’ve been looking for that for the last 45 years now and nothing’s appeared. Well, except for the one at University of Ohio. But again they found the signal but they never could get it back again. There was no repeat signal and therefore they could not figure out what it was. They looked in the same place again and again and they couldn’t find it.
I wrote a paper in an international journal that said look, if there are E.T. out there, they are probably much more advanced than us. And on planet Earth today, most of the telecommunications companies are going into fibre optics and lasers, you see. So I suggested that if these E.T.I. are more advanced than us, then they would send the signal to us not on the radio wave because radio wave technology would be old hat to them, they would be sending messages on laser beams, you see."

Full interview: www.vbs.tv...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
And in terms of us traveling to this planet consider the speed of light is 186,000 mps, which is 669,600,000 mph. The fastest man-made object has reached using what I believe is the slingshot-effect from the gravity of large objects like planets is approximately 45,000 mph. So we have achieved 0.0067% the speed of light which would take us mere mortals 300,000 years to get there.

Not sure there's really much we can do about this new discovery except hopefully confirm we're not alone. And send some laser signals back saying "hello, got any fancy tech you'd like to share?"

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I'm still stuck on the Gliese-Tuscana confusion. Can someone please shed some light on it? I think the origin of the signal is quite significant in this matter. Right now there seems to be no clear answer for this and such big news (would be much bigger than the WOW signal if it is from Gliese) seem to be getting such little attention..Which makes me suspicious of a misinformation effort

The ATS crowd wouldn't fall for that right
?

edit on 1-10-2010 by bilb_o because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by bilb_o

The signal did not come from the Gliese system. Not anywhere near the Gliese system. It came from 47 Tucanae, about half way across the sky from Gliese.

Gliese RA 15 19 26.82 Dec -07 43 20.2
Tucanae RA 00 24 .0567 Dec -72 04 52.6

In December 2008 a sharp laser look alike signal emanating from 47 Tucanae was detected. However, further searches in the same region have failed to detect the signal again.

www.lpi.usra.edu...

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by bilb_o

Phage has it on the money here Bilb_o. Zorgon has put quite a lot of effort into it is you read through the thread too.

However that said Haydn_17 could be right. Gliese 581e could have been colonised by the folk from the Tucanae system.

But yeah as it appears just now some shoddy reporting has me, at least, thinking 'What the heck??' with the whole Gliese/Tucanae thing.

Perhaps a thread title change is in order with a little bit of detail about why.

-m0r

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Does this tie in with the latest news?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Too many coincidences. Enough to conquer any hard skeptic surely.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join