It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser-like signal coming from Tucanae (not Gliese 581e)???

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Longchenpa thats simply not the way things are.

He doesn't work for NASA, he works with SETI

SETI is doing what we are doing, looking for ET

SETI is on our side

The last NASA scientist that said anything about ET, not counting Ed mitchell, was Wernher von Braun

Werner Von Braun, famous German rocket scientist, and head of the lunar exploration program, told Esotera magazine, that "extraterrestrial powers do exist, and they are more powerful than previously thought. I’m not authorized to give you any more details on the issue.”

ufos.about.com... (page 4)

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
This is a celestial map of the constellation Tucana, the Toucan.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/81c3fc8cae16.png[/atsimg]

Copyright © 2003 GNU license Wikimedia

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The last NASA scientist that said anything about ET, not counting Ed mitchell, was Wernher von Braun

Is the late Von Braun still orchestrating the Montauk Project?!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I was not aware he was involved with that

Got links?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Whoops! Picture a smiley eating it's own hat! I mixed von Braun with Von Nuemann. Apologies...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeetontheconspiracy
yeah...ummm...I have to admit something.
I was kinda shining my laser pointer at the sky the night he got that signal. Must've bounced off a plane

Ummm read this

Laser Pointers Classed as Weapons in Australia

The restrictions come as a reaction to incidents (not confined to Australia) in which the lasers were trained on planes, distracting pilots.

News.slashdot.org

[edit on 25-6-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Klatu Verata Necktie (doh!)

Seems I've rezzed an oldie.

So.

It's a year later, we're getting closer to (or possibly already past) the place we were last year, give or take some galactic expansion. Has anyone slept their way into news from his staff yet? Any undergraduate been bought off with a case of beer perhaps?

I've seen nothing on the web recently about this but now-ish would provide the closet parameters we're capable of recreating if that it's at all repeatable.

I'd contact him myself but I don't know the lingo so to speak. Perhaps one of our journalists could see if they could do a reflection piece upon this and pry any chucks out before it gets drowned out in peer reviews.

-m0r

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Well it's getting to that time of the year again when we could be in the rough area of redetecting that signal...

Only potentially a few more months to go.

In the meanwhile though I've found a decent interview on an update from Dr. Ragbir Bhathal which I think is an interesting read to anyone who is interested in this supposed signal from space.

Small teaser snippet from source:

It’s confirmed, there is a signal there. But the problem is, what is that signal, you see? And that is the problem we have now. We need to search some more space.

Please head over to the main cite site at VBS for the full interview.

He is of course, like any reasonable scientist, holding his cards close to his chest with what it could be - but he has confirmed the signal and is looking for more data.

-m0r

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

That's a very interesting interview. This comment stood out...

Returning to the December signal, hypothetically speaking, if upon final analysis it did turn out to be a signal from another planet, what would happen next?

Oh, OK. Well what we have is, five or ten years ago I went to a conference in the United States, and we have what we call an international protocol. All of us are signatories to this protocol, and what it basically says is that if you find a signal, then you shouldn’t announce it to the public. You know, if it’s a real signal, then you should inform the International Astronomical Union’s office in the United States and you also need to tell one of the other groups so they can then go back to the same location and try to confirm it. Once it’s verified as a real signal and everything’s ok and all parties have seen it, then we’ll make the announcement.
RAGBIR BHATHAL: AUSSIE ALIEN HUNTER

1 Euro says he's all over his Facebook first!

"I, Ragbir Bhathal, have discovered life!!!"

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Kandinsky]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
1 Euro says he's all over his Facebook first!

Nah, it's a well known fact that you leak it to someone you vaguely know, but know to be a fraudster, who is writing a book about Egypt and Mars and ask them to keep quiet about it via Facebook first.

It's a tradition, an old charter or something.

Since I first heard about this story I've kept reminding myself, come the Autumn months, to try and keep an eye out for anything to do with this case.

Seems my last post in this thread prior to the update was almost a year since his signal detection. I think that's a bit unhealthily keen of me...

...Do you think I might be becoming (GASP!!) a 'believer'?

-m0r

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

..Do you think I might be becoming (GASP!!) a 'believer'?

You m0r? Nah, not in a hurry!

I'm glad you posted on the thread and it popped up in my ATS. I didn't take it too seriously last year, but it's more interesting now for the reasons you already mentioned. I expected 'LIFE' to be found in a crack on Mars or similar, this way is just as acceptable lol

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Oh if it is legit they won't confirm it to the public. I find it odd though they need to contact a government agency to get permission to disclose to the public.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

Firstly they would report it to an international body which would then ask another observatory to verify the claim. Once verified the decision to make it known to the public is made.

I'm sure they'll sit on it for a day or two to discuss the ramifications but containing something like this would be impossible in the scientific community.

Why do you think we know about this particular signal in the first place?

-m0r

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

yes, but it is speculation right now on what it is. Now if they get it verified it is a true signal they won't say a word. I have seen stuff like this happen and they just leave it open and never reveal it. The only thing I know they have revealed to the public was the WOW signal.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

How many scientists do you think would love to be the one who can say they were part of mankind's first contact with another intelligent species?

There is no way on or off this world that they could contain this - even if they did..for how long before someone else finds it?

Why do you think we have these big things pointing up at the sky, costing billions each year and taking the very best of the best to work for them?

Is it all some big sham? Is it the most expensive and elaborate scheme going?

Could you please provide links to where you have seen this happen before please as I am aware of the WOW! signal but I know of no other story where potential contact has been made.

Thanks in advance!

-m0r

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
If this was some kind of a sweep then there may never be a repeating signal, i mean, if you are searching a dark room with a torch you generally wouldn't poke the torch in the same place more than once...unless you see something interesting. Maybe they didn't see anything interesting.

That said, even if there isn't a repeat signal there's nothing to say that it wasn't some kind of ET.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Frakkerface

I think it's similar to the Kepler Mission. There's a lot of news and sensation about the discovery of planets, but they can't be confirmed without four transits which will take up to four years...

Considering that we want to find planets in the habitable zone, the time between transits is about one year. To reliably detect a sequence one needs four transits. Hence, the mission duration needs to be at least three and one half years.
Kepler Mission

Once isn't enough. Ragbir Bhathal will need to confirm the signal more than once before getting too excited. Twice will be exciting and three times will generate a lot of interest. In the interview linked by m0r, he explains how Gliese 581e is only visible in the Southern Hemisphere.

@Dragnet. I think it's only fair that the results are passed on to the International Astronomical Union’s office. Peer-review is necessary before anyone starts flying off half-cocked with claims of ETI proof.

In the interview he suggests that the person most likely to make the announcement would be the leader of the country where the discovery was made. I'd like to think any respective President or Prime Minister would have the decency to make sure the discoverer made the first public announcement. Unfortunately, I think they prefer to share blame and not credit!

Still, no matter the messenger (if it happens), the discoverer would become a household name and be celebrated through history.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by imitator
I've been thinking about this lol..... It's possible the aliens are using optical signals for private communication between some satellite or mothership in our vicinity?
or from their planetary to satellite ect....

After all, laser like signals is good for private communication.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by imitator]

I agree tator - and here's another thought: imagine several years from now we're on a HE-3 powered interstellar craft zipping though space towards another lil' blue marble that we have determined is habitable. In order to get there in one piece, it would be important to avoid hitting/being hit by any objects that would cross our trajectory. In order to do this, our zippy craft employs continuous lasers that scatter around the area in front of us to locate/track objects for us to avoid.

Perhaps we picked up "their" craft's space debris avoidance system... Just a thought...

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Yukitup

I find that to be a pretty interesting piece of this.

IF the signal can be confirmed, then what is it? It doesn't sound like it would be some random transmission broadcast indiscriminately. It seems like it would be intentionally targeted at Earth. For what reason? That's where speculation comes into play. Contact? Navigation?

Then again...after re-scanning the article, does it say that it is targeted at Earth? Or just that he picked up the pulse, but with no information on the actual vector?

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Maybe ET is trying to make a 'We Are Here -> ' sign ?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join