It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser-like signal coming from Tucanae (not Gliese 581e)???

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual Interesting. Wonder what TV show made them want to ignore us for ever? Probably something to do with Aliens I bet.

"War of the Worlds"

Just wait till they see "Independence Day"

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I'll tell you guys what. If the folks at Gliese 581 c or e (or wherever they could be) see that we have things on our TV like American Idol and Desperate Housewives, I'm sure the next laser signal will be a destructive one!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I shall contact SETI later on today and see what information they are willing to pass to us.

So any word back yet? I just came upon this topic recently... I too am very interested

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
I'll tell you guys what. If the folks at Gliese 581 c or e (or wherever they could be) see that we have things on our TV like American Idol and Desperate Housewives, I'm sure the next laser signal will be a destructive one!

I couldn't agree more!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
I think one of the most amazing things no one has mentioned yet is that this planet was not even known until last month! Seems a bit weird don't you think? Coincidences don't exist.

What I find is amazing is that a few short years ago we were arguing the fact whether or not other planets and planetary systems even existed, now suddenly they are common place... I seem to recall skeptics arguing that there was no way we would find any in our life time...

Now today...

Exoplanets are common

Over 300 exoplanets are known in early 2009 and more are continually discovered.

en.wikipedia.org...

Impressive list and resource page DESPITE that its Wiki

The Extrasolar Planets Encyclopaedia
exoplanet.eu...

300 plus planets and that is in local space (relatively speaking) With all those planets surely someone has a spaceship by now?

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

[edit on 22-5-2009 by zorgon]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
When are we going to see anything (or is it hear?) anything new on this topic?

I mean the guys who know what is going on and where to get the official info should post some of it for us!

I am truly waiting in anticipation for the next bit of information.... its been a while guys please help us out of our misery!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Please feel free to use Google and help us with the update work

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Damn it guys... I don't know how much this matters, but I just went to the same Wikipedia article that inspired this thread, and the info about the signal is nowhere to be found...
I wonder what the hell that is all about...

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Anymore news yet?
its been like a month since this was updated

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
From the talk page on that wiki:

Whoever put this section in, it is inaccurate, the 'laser-like' signal was not detected near Gliese 581e, the planet was merely mentioned in the same article. The astrophysicist has not yet announced where the source of the alleged signal is coming from. I am therefore removing this section.75.67.80.68 (talk) 22:38, 20 May 2009 (UTC)

Agreed. If it reappears, it should be deleted. — Aldaron • T/C 22:43, 20 May 2009 (UTC)
Agreed.--84.122.154.39 (talk) 18:00, 23 May 2009 (UTC)

You are right. Sorry for reverting your removal, I didn't notice this explanation first. Offliner (talk) 18:43, 23 May 2009 (UTC)

However, on the flipside, here is a link to a news article about how scientists have recently decided that Gliese 581 does NOT have life because they don't have earthquakes. How convenient.
uwnews.org...

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
None of the news articles actually say the signal came from Gliese 581 at all, they just mention it in the same article because it was a recent discovery. The person who picked up the signal never mentioned where it was or could never find it again. How did we not notice this before??

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
Damn it guys... I don't know how much this matters, but I just went to the same Wikipedia article that inspired this thread, and the info about the signal is nowhere to be found...
I wonder what the hell that is all about...

Hmmmm
This page was last modified on 22 June 2009 at 20:47.

Does not Wikipedia keep all past edits of a page?

Yuppers here it is..

18:02, 23 May 2009 84.122.154.39 (talk) (4,640 bytes) ("Detected signal" removed) (undo) (AF: section blanking)

Here is the original in the History folder on that page...

So someone deleted the entry... that gets my attention... saved paged AND screen captured it As its under GNU I will post that on my site with the deletion item

14:40, 21 May 2009
en.wikipedia.org...

OOPS sorry posted before I read the next one

[edit on 22-6-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Yes, it is possible to view the page before it was reverted. But as you can see it makes no connection between the signal and Gliese on the news article referenced so it was right to be removed.

Nevertheless, a signal WAS detected and there's been no more mention. They didn't say where it came from but it says he keeps checking the "same area" of the sky each night, so they must have a fair idea.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Yup looks like a little deliberate obfuscation on the part of the Australian...

Well time to get Ragbir Bhathal email and ask. He does work for SETI so should be no problem

Edit to add;

Okay got his email and will send a letter and see where it leads

Edit to add;

Mail sent will post answer if I get one

[edit on 22-6-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
UPDATE

Have that reply from Dr Bhathal

Hi Ron

Thanks for your email. I think a couple of people from the European press made a mistake and associated my work with the work on extra-solar planets. I am carrying out a search for ETI in the optical spectrum. We are looking for laser pulse signals from outer space.

The signal we detected came from the southern constellation Tucanae. Please find attached the signal for your use in your publications.
We are still in the process of trying to figure out whether it is an ETI signal.

Cheers.

Ragbir

Right click to view full graph

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e08bb931a2fa.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Brilliant. I considered emailing him too but couldn't find his email address. Funny how that one e-mail had tons more information about the signal than the actual news article.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Great work Zorgon. When in doubt, go right to the source.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Good stuff, Zorgon...

But...
Damn!

Edit to add: My apologies to everyone about this. I shoulda caught that.

[edit on 6/24/2009 by impaired]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
see this is the way scientists are: he emailed you back and even sent you a representation of the data. all the "pile of sand on mars" conspiracy theorists think that scientists are desperate to hide the truth from the world. thats simply not the way things are.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
yeah...ummm...I have to admit something.
I was kinda shining my laser pointer at the sky the night he got that signal. Must've bounced off a plane or the planet and came down to SETI.
I was just trying to mess with the plane pilot, didn't mean to cause an international incident..
My bad
But seriously, this is a pretty cool find, I bet its the aliens charging their death star to destroy us, oh wait, thats the moon.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join