It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser-like signal coming from Tucanae (not Gliese 581e)???

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by imitator
I've been thinking about this lol..... It's possible the aliens are using optical signals for private communication between some satellite or mothership in our vicinity?
or from their planetary to satellite ect....

After all, laser like signals is good for private communication.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by imitator]

No, laser would be too slow for "realtime" communications. A laser COULD be a "beacon" of sorts to just say, hello galaxy.

Remember, 20 lightyears is how long light takes to travel in 1 year.

So a ship in our vicinity isn't going to utilize this "primitive" form of communication for the distance...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR

It is possible though, that inhospitable for us is paradise for a different species.
Look at the life forms that live in the unthinkably deep oceans that get no light and depend on volcanic vents for heat. Boiling hot actually. It would cook us alive as the pressure crushed our bodies to paper thin mush. But to them it's home sweet home.

AGREED!

When they went to the bottom of the ocean they said... huh ? life..errr,
When they went UNDER glaciers in the ocean they said..huh ? life..errr,

they said = scientist = people that should have known better.

What have I learned watching other people that try really hard to know stuff?, the people that are supposed to know stuff and say "this is how it is" and "that is how its supposed to be"... DONT KNOW S###

Point being, I think life can be any where. how do I think this ?
Life exists at temps well above +300F degrees under IMMENSE pressure, why couldnt is exists in all realms that are in between ? No reason to think it cant right ?

[edit on 17-5-2009 by R3KR]

Well from a scientific point of view, we are examining life that we'd imagine could fall into the intelligent/sentient category. Which would have to from our perspective evolve in water, or on land with tolerable climates and food supply to sustain large brained creatures such as ourselves.

We've yet to see technologically intelligent micro-organisms...

We've all but ruled out that you'd come across a Space Ship full of germ like Aliens...

We're assuming to be able to build and evolve to the technological/manufacturing level, you'd need some form of large brain, and a body that would allow you to manipulate and work with tools of some sort. Such as our fingers typing on a keyboard, twisting a screwdriver etc...

[edit on 17-5-2009 by R3KR]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
AND to point out how rare this would be, examine for instance our own planet, FULL of different lifeforms, and 1 species with the capabilities to design and develop technologies...

So lets imagine that a Gliese 581e did indeed have that 1 species that's managed to survive and evolve and develop to the industrial level, AND they just happen to exist on our timeline. Pretty rare and intense. If we found out about each other one of us would make every effort to contact the other.

Whether the contact was welcomed or not.

I imagine once a connection is made, every effort would be made to make contact.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I just have to say this:

"Or they could be made primarily of something totally different or unknown, hell they could even be a plasma based form of life" as JKGROG08 mentioned.

Just imagine: they are a loving race that like to express their love and friendship... so if they give you a hug they could warm your heart in more ways than one!

But hey, all jokes aside: I cant wait for "them" to make contact.... it will take everything we know to a new level, except maybe the credit crunch.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
That would be an amazing find....

If it wasn't from Wikipedia.

I don't trust the Wiki.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brainiac

Originally posted by imitator
I've been thinking about this lol..... It's possible the aliens are using optical signals for private communication between some satellite or mothership in our vicinity?
or from their planetary to satellite ect....

After all, laser like signals is good for private communication.

No, laser would be too slow for "realtime" communications. A laser COULD be a "beacon" of sorts to just say, hello galaxy.

So a ship in our vicinity isn't going to utilize this "primitive" form of communication for the distance...

I was thinking 20 light years is how long light takes to travel in 20 years?

I still think a mothership in our vicinity would use this form of communication... I'm sure they would have all kinds of communication devices just for us and them. Sure maybe for a beacon too or pathway ect...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I shall contact SETI later on today and see what information they are willing to pass to us.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't here any more about this though.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Alpha1067

Yep, you're right, the article mentions Gliese 581e, but not in relation with that signal. Only as an example of the increased interest it has caused in the search for extraterrestial life.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by BaxterBis]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I was just wondering if this signal from Gleise 581e has something to do with the history channel's big "global event" on the 25th?

I just think it's highly unlikely that the discovery of the this signal, Stephen Bassett's May 31 ultimatum to the President about disclosure and history channel's global event, all three issues clustered in such a short time frame, to be coincidence. If that's not synchronicity, I don't know what is.

Perhaps disclosure is at hand. But then again, probably not. Either way, these are exciting times.

This is my first post and I'm absolutely thrilled to have found ATS.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by horatio916

Welcome!

and thats a good point didnt think of it like that!

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This story highlights one of the main drawbacks to the current SETI program. We're most likely looking for the wrong type of signals using the wrong equipment.

Any highly advanced society, the likes of which we would want to communicate with will be reaching out using optical technology. The entire theory of SETI and using radio signals as the medium is probably intended to be a waste of time. If we are being visited by creatures who are thousands of years beyond us in evolution the radio signals they may or may not have used passed by our planet a million years ago.

If a society wanted to make contact with other advanced societies they would set up an optical transmitter, possibly even something which could be seen with the right telescopes.

I remember reading about the optical SETI proposal and how it has almost no funds or equipment to work with. The opinion of some respected researchers at that time was that a properly equipped and managed optical detection system would be able to find a signal very quickly (if there are signals out there to be detected). Granted we get into differences of technology, power sources, frequencies of light and so on but we can assume they would choose something common in the universe, some frequency any space science bearing race would know about.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
I'm sorry we dropped the ball on this one.

If it becomes redundant, it still could be many things, but if its a message or something similar. It will be swept under the carpet, and noone will hear about it.

probably because we do not speak or read alien language

therefore it would just be simply garbage anyways

sorry but thats the hard facts

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
I'm sorry we dropped the ball on this one.

If it becomes redundant, it still could be many things, but if its a message or something similar. It will be swept under the carpet, and noone will hear about it.

Looks like we already did hear about it. Cat's out of the bag

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brainiac

No, laser would be too slow for "realtime" communications.

No I don't think so...

It's 1 light year for how long light takes to travel in 1 year. That's not really slow at all.
You must be thinking about Gliese 581, it is 20 light-years away....lol

Then theres that story about laser pulse tests that can travel at more than 300 times the speed of light.
That is super fast!!!

Originally posted by ecoparity
I remember reading about the optical SETI proposal and how it has almost no funds or equipment to work with. The opinion of some respected researchers at that time was that a properly equipped and managed optical detection system would be able to find a signal very quickly (if there are signals out there to be detected). Granted we get into differences of technology, power sources, frequencies of light and so on but we can assume they would choose something common in the universe, some frequency any space science bearing race would know about.

That is the equipment that Astrophysicist Ragbir Bhathal uses on his project called OZ OSETI...They believe "they" will use something like laser pulse technology.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by imitator

well people say ET's are above the earth now completely cloaked and engines offline..imagine if they have a huge countdown clock inside their command room? to when theya re allowed to reveal themselves..

and when it hits 0:00:00 an entire fleet of starships just decloak god the astronauts would have an heart attack!

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Nice find OP.. quite interesting.. Are you wide to Eta Carina..

Have you heard about the great LASER light show in the sky? A team led by K. Davidson (U. Michigan) and S. Johansson (U. Lund) discovered that the chaotically variable star Eta Carinae emits ultraviolet light in such a narrow band that it is most probably LASER light! This artist's vision depicts a model that could account for their Hubble Space Telescope observations. In this model, Eta Carinae emits many LASER beams from its surrounding cloud of energized gas. Infrared LASERS and microwave MASERS are extremely rare astrophysical phenomena, but this natural ultraviolet LASER is the first of its kind to be discovered.

The following image is only an artists rendition of what it looks like as the light emitting from it is in the UV range..

source

and also this..

Why are these people shooting a powerful laser into the center of our Galaxy? Fortunately, this is not meant to be the first step in a Galactic war. Rather, astronomers at the Very Large Telescope (VLT) site in Chile are trying to measure the distortions of Earth's ever changing atmosphere. Constant imaging of high-altitude atoms excited by the laser -- which appear like an artificial star -- allow astronomers to instantly measure atmospheric blurring. This information is fed back to a VLT telescope mirror which is then slightly deformed to minimize this blurring. In this case, a VLT was observing our Galaxy's center, and so Earth's atmospheric blurring in that direction was needed. As for inter-galaxy warfare, when viewed from our Galaxy's center, no causalities are expected. In fact, the light from this powerful laser would combine with light from our Sun to together appear only as bright as a faint and distant star.

source

My point being if we are shooting lasers into the galactic center it seems reasonable enough to assume that another intelligent race my also be messing around with the same theories,,

peace

daz

[edit on 17/5/2009 by daz__]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Brainiac

That is incorrect, a lightyear is the distance that light travels in one year. So 20 lightyears would take 20 years to travel from point A to B.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

Here is a source to help: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I shall contact SETI later on today and see what information they are willing to pass to us.

A star for you, for the intent to take action! But, you may want to wait until Monday when people are back in the office.

If you get the opportunity, please ask about the wavelength and modulation of the laser-like signal. Also, it might be nice to know the coordinates of the signal.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by Xenophobe]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AvidWatcher

Originally posted by impaired
Now, I understand that E is outside the habitable zone, but if I may speculate, maybe it's coming from C (which is likely to be terrestrial)...

That's based on our understanding of what's habitable. There could be life out there existing that may thrive in environments that we can't even imagine.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by AvidWatcher]

I'm with you on this one. Everytime I hear someone say "Life couldn't possibly exist there!" I have to laugh. There are places here on Earth where scientists once said life could never exist. Places like volcanic vents, Chernobyl, etc. Scientists used to think there was no way life would be able to live in the intense heat of ocean vents, but what did they find when they were able to get close enough? Life. Micro-organisms that had adapted to survive in the intense heat, in a place where the distance of an inch meant the difference between freezing cold and stifling heat. Look at Chernobyl. Scientists used to say that nuclear disasters would render the ground inhospitable to life for thousands of years, but life finds a way to adapt and overcome. The plants near Chernobyl now produce chemicals that make them immune to the radiation.

And that's just examples on our world. Who is to say that on other worlds there isn't even more exotic lifeforms? Why does everything have to exist by the narrow rules we define existence by? Just because life on Earth evolved as carbon-based does not mean that life on other worlds will do the same. Just because life on Earth requires water does not mean it will everywhere. For all we know, there could be a race of creatures that evolved from a Silicon basis instead of Carbon. Perhaps instead of water they drink liquid methane?

Life always finds a way to survive. Just because we can't conceive of life surviving in a certain environment doesn't mean that it does not. My opinion is that life is far more common in the universe than we ever imagined. It might not always be in a form we immediately recognize, but it is there and it is alive.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join