It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser-like signal coming from Tucanae (not Gliese 581e)???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Great find O.P.

I'll be following this for updates for sure but I agree with alot of other folks here. If this is something of an intelligent origin we will not know about it until the PTB feel fit to tell us.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
reply to post by Nventual

I posted the article regarding its discovery a page or so back. It is an interesting coincidence. Question though: are there natural occurring laser phenomena in the universe?

Yes, it is known that CO2 in the atmosphere of Mars exhibits a naturally occurring lasing phenomena: Laser Spectroscopy and Its Applications - Google Books Result

I have a question regarding the "suspicious" laser-like signal: Has anyone determined the wavelength of the signal or whether it was modulated in any way? I couldn't find any actual information on it myself.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xenophobe
Has anyone determined the wavelength of the signal or whether it was modulated in any way? I couldn't find any actual information on it myself.

No, but I assume SETI have it recorded as unnatural. Again, I am assuming the team investigated all possible natural events before making an announcement. It is common protocol at SETI.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The science about natural occurring lasers, on Mars in this case:

Near infrared lasers on Mars

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
thanks for sharing this info.....

I wish I was smarter and could help SETI......

Im positive in the vastness of outer space theres many strange signals.....

I wonder if we locked on to a good signal if we would be able to decipher it???????
I guess probly most likely not.....

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Good find..

Did you catch the part about using this on a planetary scale:
laserstars.org...
"There are proposals for realizing a planetary scale laser by placing mirrors in appropriate orbits about the planet to enhance the gain and produce oscillation"

If the signal from Gliese 581e or that area is as strong and clear as they are thinking then it is quite possible that it is of intelligent origin. It is always protocal for all findings to be peer reviewed and confirmed before any serious publication takes place. Hopefully well know more about this signal soon.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
It has been postulated that a signal that comes from an area that is not suitable for life could just be a "beacon" placed by an advanced race within close proximity to habitable star systems. So just because Gilse 581e doesn't appear life bearing doesn't mean the signal isn't from ETs. Just a thought....

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
so and so find evidence of something, so and so is visited while having a burger at mcdonalds.. so and so is handed a folder full of images.. his wife.. kids.. etc. so and so is shown a live video feed of his family under watch.. moments later so and so declares publicly he is still investigating said evidence.. later so and so declares it was a one off anomaly.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

It's a diversionary tactic! They try to get our attention from over there, while they sneak up on us from over here!

But we're onto them now!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

LOL.......Yea with all that tech they have to resort to that. But really though it does make sense that a advanced civ. might do that; place a beacon within a close radius (under 30 LY) next to systems they think or know is habitable.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

just imagine that as we type there is an advanced civilisation on that system in a forum just like ours talking about the discovery of a "pale blue dot" in this quadrant of the galaxy and their version of the U.N (if they have one) are discussing sending scout vessels to have a look... that would be truly epic in every way.

*prays to God that they have tech that can get to Earth within a matter of a few days/weeks*

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Great find, OP!!!!

I can't believe I havent heard about this one before! Strange it was never mentioned in the news *sarcasm*

I would really like to see how this one pans out if they can analyze the signal.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
It has been postulated that a signal that comes from an area that is not suitable for life could just be a "beacon" placed by an advanced race within close proximity to habitable star systems. So just because Gilse 581e doesn't appear life bearing doesn't mean the signal isn't from ETs. Just a thought....

That would make a lot of sense, i like the way you think.

Whatever it is though, do y'all think they would release the info if it can be confirmed that it is not a natural occurance?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I am still trying to get past the scientist assumption that a planet "too close" to its host sun cannot support life. Someone help me out here. Because as I see it, they just mut just be heat loving creatures or ones made out of animated magma or the like. Is that an impossible assertion or are scientists more close-minded than they let on?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by guidanceofthe third kind

Well for an intelligent civilization to develop on a planet that close to a star, with all that radiation we would probably not recognize them as any lifeform we could imagine. They could likely be silicon based, rather then carbon. Or they could be made primarily of something totally different or unknown, hell they could even be a plasma based form of life.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Hi everyone, this is my first post to ATS after years of lurking, and I hope I don't step on any toes here, but after re-reading the original article in the Australian, I don't think Gliese 581 is being mentioned as the source of the laser signal. I think the actual report of Bhathal's discovery ends with the paragraph:

Even if he picks up the signal again - he's been scouring the same co-ordinates of the night sky on an almost daily basis since - the scientific rule book dictates he'll need to get it peer-reviewed before he can take his announcement to the world. "And that is a lot of ifs," he concedes.

I think the following paragraph about Gliese is simply the article's author expanding on the search for ET life.

The hunt for extraterrestrial life has been boosted recently by the discovery last month of a rocky world not unlike our own, about 20 light years away, which its Swiss discoverers have dubbed Gliese 581e, the latest in a long line of planet discoveries during the past decade (350 and counting).

The mention of Gliese doesn't appear to be connected, and the rest of the article is basically filler about various space programs and SETI efforts.

Just my two cents.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
Now, I understand that E is outside the habitable zone, but if I may speculate, maybe it's coming from C (which is likely to be terrestrial)...
I mean, our technology isn't advanced to the point that we could pinpoint the EXACT location.
So, all I'm saying is that hopefully it's coming from C. And hopefully there are more (not just signals, but planets orbiting Gliese 581, for they keep finding more and more from that system)...
With the technology we have to find exosolar planets, have you noticed they are all mostly hot Jupiters and/or gas giants??? And (I could be wrong) aren't they all (the ones we have found) very close to it's star? Perhaps those are the only kinds that we can detect at the moment.

I have a very big and good feeling that Kepler is gonna find a crapload of terrestrial planets... AND more Jupiter-like planets...
I have a feeling (just a feeling - nothing more) that it's gonna shoot up to over 1,000 exosolar planets (detected) by 2012...

It is possible though, that inhospitable for us is paradise for a different species.
Look at the life forms that live in the unthinkably deep oceans that get no light and depend on volcanic vents for heat. Boiling hot actually. It would cook us alive as the pressure crushed our bodies to paper thin mush. But to them it's home sweet home.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I've been thinking about this lol..... It's possible the aliens are using optical signals for private communication between some satellite or mothership in our vicinity?
or from their planetary to satellite ect....

After all, laser like signals is good for private communication.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by imitator]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Interesting Topic. I've also myself imagined that if there are more higher than Earth technological civilizations out there, communications on their scale would be probably the same as our ability to see past the Ultraviolet Spectrum with the unaided eye...

They are probably out there doing their thing, they are probably just invisible to us right now...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   

It is possible though, that inhospitable for us is paradise for a different species.
Look at the life forms that live in the unthinkably deep oceans that get no light and depend on volcanic vents for heat. Boiling hot actually. It would cook us alive as the pressure crushed our bodies to paper thin mush. But to them it's home sweet home.

AGREED!

When they went to the bottom of the ocean they said... huh ? life..errr,
When they went UNDER glaciers in the ocean they said..huh ? life..errr,

they said = scientist = people that should have known better.

What have I learned watching other people that try really hard to know stuff?, the people that are supposed to know stuff and say "this is how it is" and "that is how its supposed to be"... DONT KNOW S###

Point being, I think life can be any where. how do I think this ?
Life exists at temps well above +300F degrees under IMMENSE pressure, why couldnt is exists in all realms that are in between ? No reason to think it cant right ?

[edit on 17-5-2009 by R3KR]

[edit on 17-5-2009 by R3KR]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join