It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser-like signal coming from Tucanae (not Gliese 581e)???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by silenterasure

Dude, chill, I was agreeing with you. I am aware of the correct terminology as I'm sure many others are. Others will simply use the term "solar system" to describe other planetary systems that are discovered. Regardless of the fact that our system is the only "solar" system because it's named after Sol, I was simply saying it doesn't really make much difference which term you use.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by impaired

I wouldn't give up on it quite yet. Maybe they're recharging their capacitors for another shot.
(or were recharging them...or something like that. Lightspeed delay, and all that)

[edit on 5/15/2009 by Phage]

Holy Moly - Could you imagine the size of that capacitor! That thing would have to be Ginormous! If this is indeed a signal from an advanced civilization, I hope it can somehow be decoded, and of course, released to the public.

Somehow I don't think it would happen, but we can always have hope hey?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Interesting timing to be considered - why is an expensive, risky repair mission to Hubble suddenly a priority? I think they shifted funding from either the return to the moon or go to Mars budget to get this one off the ground.

Skeptics will say "ya, but they've been planning/training for the Hubble repair mission for 4 years". True, but I'd then postulate that "they" saw the laser-like signal from Gliese back then, said nothing (of course), and put the Hubble fix on track to check it out. Only back in December did a more regular dude astronmer also see it, which is what we're discussing here.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This is purely speculation, but perhaps a highly advanced race of beings have set up some type of power source to power their planet. A highly advanced race of being would likely have long stopped mining natural resources from their planet. I love internal combustion cars as much as any red-blooded American. I own a Trans Am and love going to the 1/4 mile strip, but even I can admit that mining our planet for natural resources is damaging, finite and the last place we'd want resources to come from. Perhaps an advanced race of beings set up some type of technology to harness solar energy on the planet closest to their sun and are beaming the energy back to their planet as a power source in laser form. Hey, it's possible and it would surely provide enormous amounts of energy without hurting their home planet. A planet that close to a star is almost surely worthless outside of an energy source anyway.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
If indeed there was a laser signal detected the conditions under which it was would be very hard to replicate.

Even if we consider the laser to be extremely wide (say the size of Gliese 581e) it would have to be precisely aimed at Earth to be detected. Lasers are parallel beams of photons of a particular frequency that travel at the speed of light.

The fact that Earth orbits the sun at 65855 mph, spins at 1,038 mph at the equator and changes it's tilt constantly coupled with Gliese 581e's similar characteristics makes a beam of parallel photons, the width of a planet, being detected somewhere on Earth twice very unlikely. Even if we wait until the same time later this year, Gliese 581e will not be in the same position it was.

To quote a very bright engineer "It's like trying to hit a bullet with a smaller bullet while wearing a blindfold, riding a horse".

I know we can easily work out where we'd need to be at any given moment, it's just the getting there that would be difficult.

Looking forward to hearing what he detected though.

-m0r

I was thinking something of the same.... had we be more advanced we would have been prepared for their one shot signal..... who knows maybe another few earth orbits will decipher it, though highly unlikely.

I would think there be a better way of seeing a broad spectrum of laser type signals that don't reach earth. Who knows, maybe some can last up to a year out of our orbit and can be intercepted by satellite

[edit on 16-5-2009 by imitator]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

When I read, a level headed, smart, articulate member - like yourself - give a positive assessment, I am leaning towards possible intelligence behind this.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
reply to post by Phage

When I read, a level headed, smart, articulate member - like yourself - give a positive assessment, I am leaning towards possible intelligence behind this.

Thanks for that//// I should read everyones links..... so we could see these signals!!!
though intercepting or replying to them would be something else.

www.skyandtelescope.com...

We could see a pulsed laser signal this bright beamed by a large telescope a few dozen light-years away, and a bigger brother could be used for communicating across a sizable chunk of the galaxy. For example, imagine a device 1,000 times more powerful than the Livermore laser affixed to a 10-meter telescope. If it packed infrared pulses into a billionth of a second, it would flash 25 photons per pulse into another 10-meter telescope 10,000 light-years away. Such a heavy-duty communication device could reach billions of stars! Even this little handful of photons, bunched into a single nanosecond, would stand out as artificial were anyone looking for it. Nature just doesn't do things like that.

There's no doubt they're out there looking for us!
Ah! must be a better way than this!!!

[edit on 16-5-2009 by imitator]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Got a question (or two) for all you knowledgeable people..... What is the theory behind the theory that once proof (or almost proof, if such a thing exists) of contact or possible contact (like this laser thing) is discovered it gets covered up? I mean WHY? Are the Govmnts afraid of mass panic?, or will it threaten religion?, jeez, this really baffles me.

And why have I not EVER come across a decent close-up good quality vid or pic of any UFO? They always seem so grainy, or so far away that even those that WANT to and Do (myself included) believe in the existence of visits, aliens etc, start to take it with a pinch of salt and even have little nagging thoughts of doubt.

I would probably have created a new thread for this reply if I was able to, but I am slowly building up my points.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It's happening very soon. We can learn a lot off these people, as can they off us.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
It's happening very soon. We can learn a lot off these people, as can they off us.

May I ask,
What is "happening very soon"?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I'm excited now, this story rejuvenates me
... I truly believe we are on the verge of intercepting these signals. If we haven't already....?

What are we waiting for? Field of Dreams "If you build it, they will come"

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by imitator

Disclosure would come about via a signal detected. It is more easier to condition to accept life far away, wouldn't intimidate us too much.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I find it really interesting if like us, they are too searching for life outside their solar system. Wouldn't that be amazing? We've been searching for each other all this time, throughout human history we have watched the skies and wondered what's beyond our little planet, if there are beings like us that are also wondering the same exact thing?

IT would be simply amazing, they're trying to contact us as we are them, separated by the great divide.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I think one of the most amazing things no one has mentioned yet is that this planet was not even known until last month! Seems a bit weird don't you think? Coincidences don't exist.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

I posted the article regarding its discovery a page or so back. It is an interesting coincidence. Question though: are there natural occurring laser phenomena in the universe?

Again, it is fascinating the signal came a month or so after the planet was first noticed by humans.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Out of every object in space to send off a laser it happens to be a planet that was only announced a month ago and that is already said to be the closest planet like ours. No coincidence my friend.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

Interesting coincidence in terms of the odds being heavily against it. A paradox, if you will. Did the laser in question originate from this planet because, if so, then it cannot be natural (in my opinion.)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

It is great to see humans reaching out to life in the stars, even though I think we already know of them it is still a very admirable and historic effort by those still ignorant of reality(all of us,lol).

EDIT to add: Great find OP!

[edit on 5/16/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I believe we should keep monitoring this story. If we have to, we should encourage the ATS administration to contact SETI for an update.

To huge to let go.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Well one of the members could contact SETI, no need to ask the staff IMO. But I agree it should be updated and observed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join