It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser-like signal coming from Tucanae (not Gliese 581e)???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Here is what Gliese 581 looks like. Very intersting how this signal wouldn't ave made big news right out of the gates. They must have been waiting to do a peer-review before disclosing the possible signal.

Here is Gliese 581:

server1.wikisky.org...:all&ra=15.324308&de=-7.72207&zoom=9&show_box=1&box_ra=15.324308&box_de=-7.72207&box_width=50&box_height =50

server1.wikisky.org...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Double post... Sorry

[edit on 15-5-2009 by esteay812]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thank you for your continual insightful and informed posts. -- long overdue in saying so.

I wonder if a gravitational bend was recorded, or if the detected transmission [okay, perhaps transmission is a stretch] was lengthy enough to measure.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
reply to post by LazyGuy

Well, look at the date of the article you just posted:

Planet of Promise:
Small, Rocky World Could Harbor Life
May 17, 2007
by Seth Shostak, Senior Astronomer, SETI Institute

Almost 2 years ago to the date.
Wikipedia is only off when the citations are screwed up, no? This is from The Austrailian, and the date of the article is 5/9/09
But I'm gonna google the Astrophysist who found it to see if there's info that corroborates with my OP.

Ooops, sorry about the mismatch with the date. The Australian article is from May 09, 2009. It looks like the discovery is more recent than I realized.

Originally, I had only read the Wiki article. I found the laser-like signal to be suspicious as well but obviously for different reasons. That's why I was quick to dismiss the claim and accepted the first article that supported my theory.

I just scanned through The Australian article and couldn't find the reference to the signal being laser-like. The article talks about a signal being detected but, to me, it looks like the signal was conventional radio. The article talks about lasers later on but the subject seems to have moved past the signal being discussed at the top of the page.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Whoops. Ignore please.

Wrong thread.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by triplesod]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
VERY intriguing, but you must realize that the "trick” is in the "repeated and confirmed".
Nobody can say, after one short signal alone, where it comes from; you can only say that it came from the coordinates of Gliese 581, which does not mean from that star system, not yet.
It could come from any object that happened to be on the same straight line joining the telescope with Gliese 581: a military airplane, a man-made satellite, an alien spacecraft, you name it.
That is exactly the reason why there are literally hundreds of potential ET signals, but none has been confirmed yet: because, up to now, none was repeated, so we cannot be sure where it came from.
Mario

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I am highly interested by this thread.

If this is genuine, and a definitive signal, well, it is a very powerful laser.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Has this been posted yet? An interesting development..

An Earth like planet was recently discovered in Gliese 581e

It probably wouldn't feel exactly like home. But the planet known as Gliese 581d has a lot more in common with Earth than astronomers first thought.

New measurements of the planet's orbit place it firmly in a region where conditions would be right for liquid water, and thus life as we know it, astronomer Michel Mayor, from Geneva University in Switzerland, announced today.

National Geographic

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Please, let it be known that our system is the only solar system, as our star is named Sol. The Gliese system, or whatever it's name is, is not a solar system. Different planetary systems or star systems are generally named after the most prominent astronomic feauture present in that system.

Otherwise, great post.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
If indeed there was a laser signal detected the conditions under which it was would be very hard to replicate.

Even if we consider the laser to be extremely wide (say the size of Gliese 581e) it would have to be precisely aimed at Earth to be detected. Lasers are parallel beams of photons of a particular frequency that travel at the speed of light.

The fact that Earth orbits the sun at 65855 mph, spins at 1,038 mph at the equator and changes it's tilt constantly coupled with Gliese 581e's similar characteristics makes a beam of parallel photons, the width of a planet, being detected somewhere on Earth twice very unlikely. Even if we wait until the same time later this year, Gliese 581e will not be in the same position it was.

To quote a very bright engineer "It's like trying to hit a bullet with a smaller bullet while wearing a blindfold, riding a horse".

I know we can easily work out where we'd need to be at any given moment, it's just the getting there that would be difficult.

Looking forward to hearing what he detected though.

-m0r

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by silenterasure
Please, let it be known that our system is the only solar system

You're correct, it would be known as a planetary system, although many people still refer to them as solar systems. It doesn't really make much difference.

[edit on 16/5/09 by Agent Venom]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
It's interesting that that the source of the transmission - if that's what it turns out to be - was via a visible medium. SETI has been criticised in the past for assuming our ET friends use radio frequencies (electromagatic spectrum) to communicate, whilst it is postulated that an advance civilisation would quite possibly be communicating with via another medium entirely. Like a light source for instance.

Very interesting.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by mckyle]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

This is what I was thinking. It would be more fruitfull to look for some sort of omni-directional radio bleed, or some other sort of emination. If it was artificial, most likely it was a one-shot transmission that wasn't aimed at any place in particular that we happened to get the tail of.

Like the signal sent from earth decades ago, the chances of a species actually getting the whole thing is statistically small. Some astronomer might catch part of it, think it was interesting, and people on the planetary network will guess what it is. But, they won't see another one like it from us.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

could it be that they got a really decent and almost direct hit on a quasar or something similar? and since it was detected visibly, could it be a stream of photons like a sunbeam? does any of that make sense?

edit:

Originally posted by argentus
reply to post by exile1981

I can't remember the details of astrophysics class...... it was *cough* 30+ years ago... but I seem to recall similar phenomena issuing from quasars. I could be [likely be] off-based about that.

and one more thing about the lack of a repeat; if the quasar is BEHIND Gliese, or it was t the time of detection. I would think a quasar would be visible doing a scan, but if gliese is siting between earth and the quasar, then it might make the system seemingly act like a quasar.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

That is very interesting indeed.

Gliese 581 d is an extrasolar planet approximately 20 light-years away in the constellation of Libra. Because of its mass, nearly 8 times that of Earth, the planet is classified as a super-Earth. In late April 2009 new observations by the original discovery team concluded that the planet is within the habitable zone where liquid water, and therefore, life, could exist.
Link

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I really shake my head when I see people relying on SETI of all groups to help with the UFO E.T. investigations. Seriously they are just as corrupt as the governments when dealing with this topic. They have a happy place and let them stay in this place while the few of us deal with E.T. contact ourselves.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Here Now
Seriously they are just as corrupt as the governments when dealing with this topic.

An independent group, which the government cancelled funding? I think not.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I'm not trying to start a big argument here. Our system is the Solar System, because our star's name is Sol. Other systems based around a central star are named after whatever the star is named. I learned that in eighth grade science. I realize ther are new systems discovered every year, but this is THE Solar System.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
A map, artist impression, of Gliese 581 system..

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Probably just the first tracer round...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join