It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser-like signal coming from Tucanae (not Gliese 581e)???

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage dont know if you read the link

what do you make of this

Scientists have been plagued by Einstein’s theories which state nothing can travel faster than light. But over the past decade or so, we have seen a new branch of physics theorized, one which might give Einstein cause for pause. It’s called Superluminal Electromagnetic Field / Wave Propagation, which is basically a form of faster than light relativity. Experiments have been conducted by several scientists which involve light and radio sources traveling at speeds well in excess of the speed of light. Seem possible?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by m0r1arty

Not the same solar system. Not even close.

do you enjoy pissing on peoples hopes and dreams or something? I don't understand why you're on this site, all you seem to say is 'no that's not real', or 'no this isn't real'

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by uk_cryptid_seeker

do you enjoy pissing on peoples hopes and dreams or something? I don't understand why you're on this site, all you seem to say is 'no that's not real', or 'no this isn't real'

Denying ignorance is the stated point of ATS! Phage isn't trying to crush anybodies dreams, I don't think. Rather he's keeping folks safe from false information. I want amazing things to be proven true. But the word "proven" is important to that concept.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by uk_cryptid_seeker

stating the signal came from the gilese system when it actually came from tucanae is a giant error !
the two are extremely far apart .

Never the less we should still be excited that a signal came from somwhere , whether it can be found again or not , maybe it was their one shot chance at sending us a "HELLO" " or "SOS"

so pahge didnt piss on anyones dreams just stated a fact .

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

This is the kind of stuff that is too much of a "coincedence" with recent news to not warrant some type of further investigation into this star system. We find a habitable planet AND a mysterious signal coming from it? Why did this part of the news regarding this system not hit the mainstream media?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
ahh I posted the first part of the report only !
my mistake.

Here is the part talking about John Singleton and his research

Earlier this year, a physicist called John Singleton created an application of this theory which he believes could greatly advance semiconductors. Called a polarization synchrotron, the device combines radio waves with a rapidly spinning magnetic field. The effect is described as “abusing the radio waves so severely that they finally give in and travel faster than light”. Singleton says: If you take a laser and shine it on the moon and swing it rather gently, for example, the spot on the moon travels faster than the speed of light. If an effect can do that, it makes you wonder if you can do things with light to get the equivalent of a sonic boom. Being applied to semiconductors, the idea of transmitting data across the entire width of a CPU in a single clock, or even less than that, would mean faster caches, the ability to communicate across separate pieces of silicon nearly instantly (1 clock cycle), which means semiconductors could be made piece meal, being assembled wirelessly in the final package through EM frequencies which operate only over a few centimeters. Singleton believes the principle could also explain pulsars, which emit high frequency, extremely intense light that nobody can really explain a cause for today. He also sees medical, communication and space exploration as potential other uses. He has been given a $3 million grant by the Department of Energy to continue his research on a three-year project.

This effect could allow us to send a signal to to any planet faster than light ,or so it seems.
We could potentially send data to these planets riding on a laser to say hi, or maybe just ping them first.

Stephen hawking wouldnt like it though in case we call them to our doom

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sapien82

No.

The effect could not allow us to send a signal faster than light. The effect produced is that individual waves within the signal travel faster than light but the entire wave front does not. No information is transmitted faster than the speed of light.

Study "group velocity".

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

An email from Dr. Bhathal: Thanks for your email. I think a couple of people from the European press made a mistake and associated my work with the work on extra-solar planets. I am carrying out a search for ETI in the optical spectrum. We are looking for laser pulse signals from outer space. The signal we detected came from the southern constellation Tucanae. Please find attached the signal for your use in your publications. We are still in the process of trying to figure out whether it is an ETI signal. Cheers. Ragbir

So Dr. Bhathal is into a lot of different things in his search for ETI. Interesting that NASA chose to highlight the extra-solar planets work recently but it could be total coincidence. As for FTL communication, we have the lighthouse analogy. No not Edgar Allan Poe, I mean maybe the aliens near 47 tucanae decided to communicate with both habitable planets at once using a laser sweep?

edit on 1-10-2010 by Bordon81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Exactly what I'm saying! The original report was that the signal originated from Tuscana however somehow Gliese got mixed up with it. Back in 2009..When we didn't know about the Earth-like planet there..

I just find the coincidence inquiring

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Whoes to say that these "signals" are not just like the recordings we sent into space? If there is life on "gliese 581e" they are prolly saying the same thing about us. Any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by uk_cryptid_seeker

Can we get a mod or staff member to correct the title of this thread and change Gliese 581e to Tucanae so as to further prevent the pissing on peoples hopes and dreams?

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Well the news below states that Dr Ragbir Bhathal reported that the signal came from the "direction" of Gliese. That would make the confusion more understandable.

www.dailymail.co.uk... l

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by bilb_o

Not sure if it's a typo bilb_o but I couldn't get your link to work. I'm relinking it here for those who want to see it.

It could be a case of Chinese whispers regarding the repostulation of errors, especially since they didn't contact the Doc directly and quoted what he said at the time.

Nice find though!

-m0r

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Corrected the origin in the title of this thread (as the revelation takes some time in the thread, and didn't want to mislead readers).
edit on 4-10-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

edit on 5/17/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Bloody alien kids and their laser pointers, theyll blind someone.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
According to some simple math regarding the spread rate of our most advanced collimated beam of coherent laser light that we can generate, the spread would result in a beam of 2 billion miles diameter at a distance of 1 trillion miles.

Gleise is 117 trillion miles away, so the spread would be 234 Billion miles..... which is 65 x the diameter of our solar system out to the average distance of Pluto....

I think the relative numbers are correct, someone else can check em.

That is a fairly large area,, and one hell of a powerful source if it could be seen.
edit on 5-9-2011 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Listen to the PHage. He doesn't say sh** for nothing.

But you know... It made sense to look for radio signals back in the day. Now it's making sense to look for laser signals. What makes us think this will be any better? Sure, this guy points to various benefits that lasers have over radio. But who's to say the aliens haven't moved on to something even better than lasers? We going another 45 years without any hits?

What will it be after lasers? Check back in 45 years to find out. Caveat: If you're still alive.

What's to stop ET form beaming its encyclopedia to the whole universe? If humans had hte capability, would they not beam out our current science knowledge to the rest of hte universe in a sort of information-based form of reproduction? A way to reach out and help our space brothers indirectly and ensure their safety? Or might we choose not to in fear that spreading science knowledge might cause devastating wars? So we would spread ignorance, willingly then?

Everyone says the first communication we receive will be a "I love lucy" episode. But what if it's the secrets to universe space travel or longevity or the key to global peace or something else?

After all, if the signal is INTENDED (as they say laser signals would be)....
edit on 20-12-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join