It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Fundamentalist 'Debunks' Bible

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrainPower
judiasm popped up around the same time as monotheism in egypt and it seems that a lot of the tales in judiasm have parallels to egyptian tales and sumerian tales. it could very well be that the entire religion that christianity is based off of was brought about from a collection of different tales of neighboring peoples.

Let us not forget about Zoroastrianism!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

judiasm popped up around the same time as monotheism in egypt and it seems that a lot of the tales in judiasm have parallels to egyptian tales and sumerian tales. it could very well be that the entire religion that christianity is based off of was brought about from a collection of different tales of neighboring peoples.

Why would we think otherwise? A wandering tribe, with no particular culture of their own, hears some good stories, and promptly files the serial numbers off and claims them as their own.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I've been reading a lot about the old testament lately and about jesus and in older religions, the people actually interacted with the "gods" that descended from the heavens, who's to say that these gods aren't actually extraterrestrials and the whole of the bible is out of context. if certain things like the Talmud of Jmmanuel can be proved to be authentic that would certainly help to put things into context. I'm interested to hear everyone else's theories on this subject.

Well yes, when you realize that a "chariot" meant a type of "vehicle" and that the heavens literally meant "the skies" it becomes very plausible that these were alien visitors, not Gods or angels, interacting with humans.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla
Why would we think otherwise? A wandering tribe, with no particular culture of their own, hears some good stories, and promptly files the serial numbers off and claims them as their own.

exactly, and i think the church has it all wrong. Christians start teaching their children at an early age about the bible so by the time they are old enough to think for themselves, they believe the bible to be infallible. I think if one were to read it without first holding this belief and in context with the rest of history, a totally different story would come to light. Namely....that this is exactly what happened.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
Well yes, when you realize that a "chariot" meant a type of "vehicle" and that the heavens literally meant "the skies" it becomes very plausible that these were alien visitors, not Gods or angels, interacting with humans.

But wait...thats...just crazy, right?
I think there is in reality a lot of evidence that points to us either a) ancient cultures being visited by ETs or b) ancient civilizations being created by ETs...and furthermore, i think that one reason why disclosure has been pushed back...im sure more than a handfull realize this and if this is in fact the case and became public knowledge, wouldnt it blow your world apart if you were one of the people that took the bible seriously?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

We I was a young naive christian, I had the misfortune to inquisitive enough to suggest this kinda thing to my fundamentalist family - specifically the quote "pillar of smoke/fire" unquote that dropped mana on the jews while they went thru the desert, not to mention attacked the Egyptians.

This was some kinda ultimate faux pas.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

I don’t know why people are so offended by the idea that Jesus or angels or god is an alien. Yes, we are willing to put all of our faith into the idea of an entity that can do all of the fantastic things that god does, but god forbid we ever consider aliens. No, that’s just too “weird”, that’s just too “out there”.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I don’t know why people are so offended by the idea that Jesus or angels or god is an alien. Yes, we are willing to put all of our faith into the idea of an entity that can do all of the fantastic things that god does, but god forbid we ever consider aliens. No, that’s just too “weird”, that’s just too “out there”.

Maybe they just don't like the idea that the "magic" is just technology, or that humanity is not alone and therefore nothing special.

I have someone I'm temped to call a friend, whose mind is so closed off because of his religion, that he believes that we are along and that all the universe is devoid of even bacterial life. I try to explain why the scientific community would disagree but he responds with "I don't care."

This thinking sickens me sometimes.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Obviously this isn't the case with a religion such as Judaism or Islam (Where they HAVE to read, recite, and remember their texts)

Not necessarily true. A lot of the fanatical suicide bombers that you see are illiterate and have no real way of learning the Islamic religion on there own. That is how they get brainwashed into doing stupid crap.

Much the same way that Crusaders were brainwashed into killing "infidels" and the promise of heaven if you are killed while on Crusade.

Keep them in the dark and you can lead the way, doesn't matter if it's the complete wrong way or not.....

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I think it comes down to narcissism. It would mean that we aren't the pinnicale of evolution and the smartest. It would also mean that we werent created in the image of some omnipresent, omnipotent being. People would freak!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

It would also mean that we werent created in the image of some omnipresent, omnipotent being. People would freak!

No, they'd just tantrum like the rotten little children that they are.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Could it be for one moment possible that it was the other way around? That the "aliens" are in fact just demons up to their old tricks more modern last days kinda style? I mean think about it we went from nude innocent beings to lying crooked suit wearing brokers. So it makes sense the demons and Satan would "up the ante."

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchtheashes

Could it be for one moment possible that it was the other way around? That the "aliens" are in fact just demons up to their old tricks more modern last days kinda style? I mean think about it we went from nude innocent beings to lying crooked suit wearing brokers. So it makes sense the demons and Satan would "up the ante."

But why would god support people referring to these demons as angels? Why would god allow for such a trick to be played on his prophets? Or are you saying that God is real and the bible is satan's fabrication? You sort of lost me...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

I'm saying the aliens are the fabrication and a well thought out and real fabrication. Demons and Satan love to mislead humanity. A UFO would be the ultimate delusion. Illuminati and our governments know they are really demons. They are indeed in the Bible, but are the offspring of fallen angels. The end result of a fallen angel and a human woman would be something like the typical gray alien. They are better referred to as the Nephilim. They will be back in the last days to deceive humanity and pose as the gods of old. According to Biblical prophecy anyway but this thread isn't about that. Anyway has this man seen this?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by freeyourmind1111

the Codex Sinaiticus is a manuscript to be looked, at as it contradicts a lot of what the modern bible we use today bible says. The Codex Sinaiticus is the oldest surviving, fully intact bible we have. It was stolen from the monks and Mt. Sinai by a man named Constantin von Tischendorf in 1859.

The Codex Sinaiticus and the Codex Vaticanus were considered the oldest manuscripts in the opinion of Westcott and Hort. Because these were the oldest that were available to them in their day!

As Ehrman says: "Wild copying practices were found in the East as well as in the West. Westcott and Hort's system has been overhauled by subsequent scholars...Then too, significant manuscript discoveries, especially discoveries of papyri, have been made since their day."

Codex Sinaiticus Codex Sinaiticus is one of the most important books in the world. Handwritten well over 1600 years ago, the manuscript contains the Christian Bible in Greek, including the oldest complete copy of the New Testament. Its heavily corrected text is of outstanding importance for the history of the Bible and the manuscript – the oldest substantial book to survive Antiquity – is of supreme importance for the history of the book. [Find out more about Codex Sinaiticus.]

www.codexsinaiticus.org...
I should have phrased my sentence better...The Codex Sinaiticus is the oldest complete copy of the New Testament. There have been corrections, but that was very common in the time, done in most all books, and you can tell what the corrections are and see what is original. I even vaiguely remember reading somewhere that Tischendorf made corrections in the codex,but I might be wrong about that. The oldest complete Old Testament I believe,is the Leningrad Codex or the Aleppo Codex, cant recall 100% for sure off the top of my head but I believe the Aleppo was burned in a fire. Anyway the Codex Sinaiticus is still interesting and my point still valid.

Here is where confusion regarding God comes in: Once a person finds that their religion no longer works, the majority seem to throw God out with the bath water! No, it is religion that does not work. He is having a "crisis" of faith because as most religious do, he placed all his hope in man and man's teachings. This is a great disappointment! Imagine! Most everything he was taught from the time he was young he is finding to be wrong. I can relate!!!

As can I relate as well. Very valid point. My opinion is that we should start looking inward for answers and guidance instead of looking to what others say is right. I think God is smart enough to equip us with all we need.Cheers!

[edit to add on 16-5-2009 by freeyourmind1111

[edit on 16-5-2009 by freeyourmind1111]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
How exactly do you debunk a religious text anyway? He must be insecure about the existence of our Creator, so he makes claims that 19 books of the NT were forged. What is the purpose of his so called debunking? It did little to convince me of anything. From a non-faith perspective I wouldn't see how he proved anything.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by The All Seeing I

Former Fundamentalist 'Debunks' Bible

www.cnn.com

Just so you know, Bart Ehrman says he's not the anti-Christ.
He says he's not trying to destroy your faith. He's not trying to bash the Bible. And, though his mother no longer talks to him about religion, Ehrman says some of his best friends are Christian.
In Ehrman's latest book, "Jesus, Interrupted," he concludes:
At least 19 of the 27 books in the New Testament are forgeries.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.google.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bart Ehrman- Misquoting Jesus
The Bible, Man's book or God's Word?

[edit on 15-5-2009 by The All Seeing I]

Many people have always ditched the Bible but it continues on. Here's one example of someone who wrongly ditched the Bible:

The French philosopher Voltaire, a skeptic who destroyed the faith of many people, boasted that within 100 years of his death, the Bible would disappear from the face of the earth. Voltaire died in 1728, but the Bible lives on. The irony of history is that 50 years after his death, the Geneva Bible Society moved into his former house and used his printing presses to print thousands of Bibles.

Thanks,
TT

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by watchtheashes

I'm saying the aliens are the fabrication and a well thought out and real fabrication.

But you haven't explained why God would allow this fabrication and for his prophets to be decieved.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchtheashes
I'm saying the aliens are the fabrication and a well thought out and real fabrication. Demons and Satan love to mislead humanity. A UFO would be the ultimate delusion. Illuminati and our governments know they are really demons. They are indeed in the Bible, but are the offspring of fallen angels. The end result of a fallen angel and a human woman would be something like the typical gray alien. They are better referred to as the Nephilim.

Such a thing is the fantasy of primitives who have no sense in genetics. Spiritual beings have no DNA, therefore cannot impregnate women. Even if they did have DNA, they would be beyond the species distinction, way way way way way way way way beyond the species distinction. Frankly, successful reproduction between a human and a daisy would be more likely.

But it brings an interesting point out into discussion. I used to laugh at the mythos of the ancient Greek and Roman gods when I was a christian because of how petty and human they acted. Anger, jealousy, hate, lust, and extensive family trees with more than a little interbreeding.

The ancients believed that the gods acted like this, but these were ancient ignorant people. Yet here you are asking me to believe that the angels got into a big fisticuffs in Heaven, then fell and impregnated human woman.

The funny thing is that if Nephilim were to come down and impregnate women, being spiritual beings, it would make half-breeds conceptions all miraculously immaculate! LOL!

[edit on 16-5-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by texastig
The French philosopher Voltaire, a skeptic who destroyed the faith of many people, boasted that within 100 years of his death, the Bible would disappear from the face of the earth.

Voltaire's only mistake was to underestimate human stupidity.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join