It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Fundamentalist 'Debunks' Bible

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Former Fundamentalist 'Debunks' Bible

www.cnn.com

Just so you know, Bart Ehrman says he's not the anti-Christ.
He says he's not trying to destroy your faith. He's not trying to bash the Bible. And, though his mother no longer talks to him about religion, Ehrman says some of his best friends are Christian.
In Ehrman's latest book, "Jesus, Interrupted," he concludes:
At least 19 of the 27 books in the New Testament are forgeries.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.google.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bart Ehrman- Misquoting Jesus
The Bible, Man's book or God's Word?

[edit on 15-5-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Now before the bible-thumpers rush in and attack the messenger. Consider first, this man's background, vocation and journey; a best-selling author and a professor of religious studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and a fixture on History Channel and Discovery Channel documentaries on Christianity. He's appeared on National Public Radio, CNN and the BBC... and his academic peers claim he is professing/sharing well established facts.

Being that this academic was once operating on blind faith and has since thoroughly studied the origins of the bible from a scholastic stand point... doesn't this make him more of an authority on the bible then any bishop, pastor or tv-evangelist?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-5-2009 by The All Seeing I]

[edit on 18/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I read one of the articles that summed him up.. And it's the same thing that turned me away entirely from the christian faith. I believe this happens to a lot of people when they critically study what the bible has to say.

It's what happened to me, at least.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Same with me, I began really reading the Bible, in it's entirety and reading books published by others who really understood the bible.
That eventually pushed me off to a point where I said, noone really knows anything about the bible at all, yet the only arguement for it is to believe what it tells you to believe, and the God in it is obscured, jealous, paranoid, mercifully, vengeful, fearful, bipolar, at the basic.

Who would create something then tell a group of people in a bush on fire, to tell everyone this guy exists?

I have not been influenced by the devil in any way, you bible fanatics, just saying, Devil= Reason as I've found it in the christian, muslim, hindu way.

+3 more 
posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I think there is going to be more and more of this.

With the amount of information people can find by the click of a button, more and more are doing their own research and seeing how the bible has been altered and cannot be taken as fact.

A hundred years ago, it may have been plausible that a man was watching and recording everything you do so that he can judge you when you die and give you eternal bliss or eternal damnation. It is no longer feasible to most of those not born into the brainwashing.

Since less and less Americans are raising "christian" families, more children are able to research religions and pick their own, or none.

Christians are already a minority in the world, and becoming fewer and fewer each year.

Now if only we could do the same with Judaism and Islam!!!!!

[edit on 15-5-2009 by breakingdradles]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
I read one of the articles that summed him up.. And it's the same thing that turned me away entirely from the christian faith. I believe this happens to a lot of people when they critically study what the bible has to say.

It's what happened to me, at least.

And isn't that curious?

Most adherents have the notion that nonbelievers are simply unfamiliar with theology--that a reading of religious texts is what the infidels need. On the contrary, most atheists/nonbelievers I've known (myself included) are very familiar with religious texts and doctrine, and in fact turned away from religion upon a thorough study of it. There really is nothing like religion to inspire a loss of faith.

I'm reminded of a quote by Mark Twain: "It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand."

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
so the bible is a forgery?

so wouldn't this go hand in hand with the quran or what ever it's called?

just cause the book has a different name's..it has all the same character's atheist love to poke fun at these day's.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by TheAmused]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused
so the bible is a forgery?
so wouldn't this go hand in hand with the quran or what ever it's called?
just cause the book has a different name's..it has all the same character's atheist love to poke fun at these day's.

Sure it would. The Bible is the prime suspect here because Christianity was Bart Ehrman's religion. It receives the brunt of his attack not because it is especially flawed, but because it is the preeminent faith in his homeland.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I too started to question my beliefs when I read the bible cover to cover and took it for face value. I did not try and interpret it to fit nice and neatly into my own personal beliefs. I did not try and make excuses for or defend it. i let it be its own defense and present its own case. If you have never read the bible cover to cover you really should. No excuses, no defense, no interpretation. Read it like a book.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Great find Original Poster. I myself have long considered the Holy Bible to be a fraudulent work. It is just too full of inconsistencies and hypocrisies and riddles.

On one hand you have a vain, jealous, vengeful G-d.

On the other hand you have a meek, gentle, loving, trusting, charitable Son of G-d who is simple and austere in his ways.

Some might say the first one is very similar to the State.

Some might say the second one sounds very much like the people and citizens of the State.

Some might even say a state that exploits all those virtues in its favor to the people’s detriment.

Some might say these two wholly disparate characters represent the duality of man.

The Ying and the Yang, the Id and the Ego, that eternal struggle between the opposing hemispheres of the brain that cause people so much confusion.

Some might even say its books like the Holy Bible that promote and instill that confusion.

I still look back at all the glory, and power, and wealth and civilization of Rome and wonder what might have possessed the Romans to visit such a fraud upon the entire planet?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
The bible is an incredible book ...

Of all the extraordinary notions contained within, timeless teachings, wisdom, love, religion is the least of them.

+10 more 
posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
The bible is an incredible book ...

Of all the extraordinary notions contained within, timeless teachings, wisdom, love, religion is the least of them.

Don't forget the genocide, misogyny, racism, homophobia, and arrogance.

Star for the OP, btw!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

Like I said ...

Bible = Cool
Religion = people = not so cool

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Like I said ...

Bible = Cool
Religion = people = not so cool

The things I mentioned are in the Bible. So "Bible" doesn't really need that second "b".

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Great find Original Poster. I myself have long considered the Holy Bible to be a fraudulent work. It is just too full of inconsistencies and hypocrisies and riddles.

On one hand you have a vain, jealous, vengeful G-d.

On the other hand you have a meek, gentle, loving, trusting, charitable Son of G-d who is simple and austere in his ways.

Some might say the first one is very similar to the State.

Most people are like that correct? If I have a girlfriend who is out whoring with other guys, I would get jealous, vain, and upset.

God has his children out worshiping other Gods, setting sin before him, and denying him.

We are made in his image, he is a jealous God; and just because he is the supreme being doesn't make him immune to emotions.

There is a difference between reading the Bible, and reading it with understanding. If you use a Strong's Concordance you can break some words down to the original manuscript and get a whole different meaning, the way it was intended.

The Bible is misinterpreted beyond belief, because most people won't take the time to actually study it.

Eve didn't eat an apple; there is no rapture, the earth isn't 6000 years old.

The Bible is a complete book, that has been mistranslated too often, making inconsistencies apparent.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
reply to post by Miraj

I have not been influenced by the devil in any way, you bible fanatics, just saying, Devil= Reason as I've found it in the christian, muslim, hindu way.

I'm no Bible fanatic, as I've certainly not studied the good book nearly enough as I should be studying it. But let's take for granted that the devil does exist and that he/she/it is the great deceiver - isn't what you said exactly something the devil would want you to believe?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The Bible rivals anything Stephen King could EVER produce.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

Some of us will be judged on our works. I certainly wouldnt want to be Ehrman, when the time comes.

End times prophecy predicts people like this coming forward. It's part of the plan.

The last verse in the bible says "No man shall add to or take away from this book" dont quote me on that but it seems Ehrman took about 17 chapters out.

link   
Yeah it is actually. I hold some belief that the decline in religion is somewhat caused by literacy. Obviously this isn't the case with a religion such as Judaism or Islam (Where they HAVE to read, recite, and remember their texts)

I actually like the bible. Sometimes it's fun to read, because of the great stories. But to me its like a book that contains stories of greek mythology.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Miraj]

link   

The things I mentioned are in the Bible.

That's the thing with interpretation, some form religions, others contrary dogmas.

One coin ...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join