It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM intentionally makes no sense at all, simply to confuse you

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
It's kind of the elephant in the room, but I know there are still a lot of people who are under the impression that mainstream media is competent and professional journalism.

Without even getting into what constitutes "good" journalism, let's just look at a sampling of today's headlines, for example, which are typical of most any day really, taken from FOX News:

2 More Die From Swine Flu, 3 NYC Schools Shut Down

Ex-Astronaut Lisa Nowak Withdraws Insanity Plea

Family: Co-Pilot Wasn't Sick, Tired or Inexperienced

NBA Player Wayman Tisdale Dies at 44 of Cancer

Couple Dies in Murder-Suicide in Illinois Cemetery

NASCAR Driver Mayfield's Positive Test Not for Steroids

How enlightening is it and what is even the point, of drawing hundreds of millions of peoples' attention to these kinds of absolute non-issues, and on such a massive scale? Is all of this stuff really vital information that we all need to be aware of? I think it's more of an advertising gimmick than anything, and the product they're trying to sell is mainly stupidity.

For instance...

"2 More Die From Swine Flu, 3 NYC Schools Shut Down"

All the hype about Swine Flu originated with the media. I couldn't care less. Two more people have died? Check this out:

Deaths from Flu: 63,730 annual deaths for influenza and pneumonia (NVSR Sep 2001); estimated 20,000 deaths from flu (NIAID)

www.wrongdiagnosis.com...

That two more people have died from Swine Flu is worthy of being brought to the attention of the entire nation, yet for some reason no one cares about the approximately 55 other people who will die of just regular old flu today? It's strange that they don't even mention that fact, or that many more people die of much more mundane things every day. Where is the significance in this issue, that everyone needs to hear about it instead of something a little more important? Isn't this information that a COMPETENT journalist should be interested in?

Random suicides/murders.. I don't understand those reports either, particularly when the people involved aren't famous. Someone was just recently shot to death for breaking and entering a man's home in the small town where I live, yet that was only a minor issue for our LOCAL papers. I don't so much wonder WHY certain randomly-selected murders make it to the mass media and not others, as much as I wonder why no one else is complaining about how stupid this is when people are literally murdered all over the country every day. It's not something I particularly want to dwell on in the first place. By constantly drawing our attention to this murder or that murder, it seems "someone" is just trying to keep the fact of murder firmly in our minds, rather than reveal anything particularly important.

"NASCAR Driver Mayfield's Positive Test Not for Steroids"

A NASCAR driver failed a random drug test. Like I said, no different than a tabloid, or gossip. But instead it comes from a multi-billion dollar industry that's run by companies like General Electric (which also makes bombs for the military, etc.).

The point I'm trying to make is this kind of stuff is no better than any tabloid, it is completely irrelevant to most human beings living in this country, and all it REALLY serves to do is to condition us to accept as "normal" a perpetual barrage of nonsense. Worse than that, it conditions us to many ideas that we normally would never accept, except that they are slowly and increasingly introduced in the media, first by reference or suggestion, then more and more energy is placed on it. Like war with Iran, or the draft, any thoughts at all that TPTB feel like putting into our heads.

This is one of the most blindingly obvious examples of either (a) an extreme case of mass, commercial stupidity and constant lack of critical thinking on an unbelievable scale, or (b) a well-organized multi-billion dollar industry that simply is trying to do something OTHER than just report national facts and information that are truly vital to us. Something like, bombard us with nonsense until we think in nonsensical terms ourselves.

Who hasn't realized this?

[edit on 15-5-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Wheres the report on the bilderberg meeting?

Oh there isn't any? That's because they were told to stay far away, and complied.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Yes, Correct. Thinking minds can't possibly comprehend the level of slathering idiocy that appears within mainstream news media and network programming on TV.

My wife sometimes giggles at the silly Windex or some other bonehead ads... Personally, I like the shaving commercial with the high speed swimmer that bolts out of the water and hits his head. Well, that's about it for TV for me. TV has made me go from a wry smile to being severely insulted.

Comparatively, People on ATS are insulted by mainstream as you obviously are... We are more thoughtful and can't fully comprehend what motivates the general masses to watch TV (or visit MSM websites.)

If my daughter didn't like Naruto on some satellite channel we wouldn't have TV. With the other possible exception that I like the occasional Beck. The wife likes Food channel which can be insanely insulting. Good food though.

Consider that way back when TV first made it's debut and watching mainstream news was becoming a nightly American ritual some of the topics that I watched with my parents were so far over my comprehension at that time (like something about Israel and Palestinians fighting or some silly thing like that; I'm sure they've worked that out by now.)

Walter Chronkite was Da Man and delivered the news... from around the world. It's certainly changed. Ironically, I sensed a change when Entertainment Tonight and Inside Edition (Bill O'Reilly?) and Geraldo Rivera made the big time. That was the era where any intelligent TV left, died.

I read somewhere that a study resulted in findings that WWE/WWF was the lowest common denominator. That essential means that if you want to have high ratings, go for that lowest common denominator. The only logical conclusion to be derived from that would be that most Americans have finally become so dumbed down that non-intellectual stimulation is the most enjoyable and highly rated. Put what's left of your fluoridated/aspertamed mind in neutral and foam at the mouth. Quite sad that people find HULU commercials even funny at all... It's really quite sickening.

The powers that be have been successful, in many respects, of dumbing us down.

Again quite sad... I hated internet with all of the marketers jumping on the internet with dollar signs in their eyes. Overwhelming it with ads on everything and everywhere. Now ads are even in online games.
Even though I've been in the computer industry since the late 70's; I saw a great internet evolve into a gutter of pr0n and advertising scum.

ATS revived my interest and hope for the internet and its' promise that once was ... Stick to the intelligent locations on internet and perhaps visit mainstream media occasionally so that you don't loose touch with what the rest of the population is seeing. People are waking up...

The Campbell Brown's and the Cafferty's (and countless others) of the mainstream media will suffer for their iniquities.

People are waking up... Check the FNC ratings. Especially Beck. Love him / Hate him he's helping wake up the mainstream.

[edit on 5·16·09 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
This is why the only MSM news I ever watch with any regularity (and this is still maybe once a month) is 60 minutes, because they still take on some of the real issues. They still have some pretty stupid stories, too, but at least they have some that are of real value, which is more than any other MSM has.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Thanks for again bringing this topic up for discussion, I am currentlly waging a campaign against the MSM, and against the overall ignorance of the average user of ATS. The ignorance which allows them to completely swallow every bit of trash the mainstream media throws on today's platter.

I watched everyone OVERNIGHT, including admins fall prey to the MSM, and what I think it the most completely bogus part of the entire thing, is that not once has there been an apology from any moderator or admin on this site for their lack of thought in propagating such obvious, fear mongering propaganda. Even going so far to add a "WHO EPIDEMIC LEVEL 5" banner. How ridiculous is that, just feeding into everyone's fear, without merit.

My first thread, concerning the Tea parties and the subsequent snuggle up by Fox news to conspirators, got very little attention as people were busy consuming MSM propaganda. Mainstream Media - How we are all being bent over

The second thread I wrote, after tall this SWINE FLU GARBAGE, which was seen by many, and enjoyed by many (except admins who felt no merit for applause), helped highlight how, what and why the MSM does what it does.

Swine Flu 'Pandemic': What it proves

The swine flu pandemic was helpful in proving the power of the MSN in another form. It's ability to capture the nation with a perceived threat, and systematically remove rights, cause mass panic, have people again wasting 1000's of hours talking about nothing. And, even on THIS forum, their well oiled propaganda machine worked amazingly well. Even admins were feverishly pushing the swine flu garbage, before realizing the Media had again hoodwinked them.

Honestly, if 1 week before the "SWINE FLU FRENZY" someone came to this forum and said "Closing the border to mexico will be on the table of possibilities in a couple weeks" they would have been ridiculed off the board without a doubt. But in the face of a "Pandemic", it was an easy possibility. Thus proving how quickly the world could change for ALL of us, if the Media portrays a threat even worse than the swine flu.

And after taking several hours of my own time to help educate this forum on what the MSM really is, how they operate and how they dictate your life, I feel I have achieved nothing. People continue falling pray to their propaganda and continue to spew ignorance.

I hope with threads such as this, and others that are made, we can hopefully have more people who can tell when they are being face humped by the MSM, rather than opening wide and letting it happen.

No conspiracy will ever be uncovered with the mainstream media we have. No conspiracy we conspire, will ever have an effect, with the mainstream media we have. No movement or great change for the better will take place, with the media that we have.

King9072 - Biggest Disinfo ring in the world
We must stop the media from skewing facts, rather than stating them. We must stop the media from protecting interests, rather than exposing them. We must stop the media, from being unchecked, and given a free ride to lie, manipulate, plant and distort facts. We must stop the media, for every great change that we desire, hinges on our ability to sway the media into being an ally, rather than enemy. Without them on our side, there is no way that anything can ever be done to destroy the pavement of the road to tyranny.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/35e6cb2fb16b.jpg[/atsimg]

this says it all

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I relate the MSM to professional wrestling. We all know that for the most part every wrestling event is staged and scripted to get the best ratings. I feel the MSM does the same. It is no longer about digging for the truth, keeping politicians and businesses honest, keeping the public informed. It is all about Show me the MONEY.

The MSM is an entertainment industry. They only tell you pieces of the truth, mingle in some confusion, sprinkle on some sugar, coat it with lies, slick it up with images or videos, and sell it to you like the latest fad.

In the end, it is pretty much garbage and one sided. But you can't say it isn't entertaining. There are some reporters/commentators you like and many more reporters/commentators you love to hate. And they always throw out the issues looking to divide public opinion.

Sad part is that the average American doesn't care about politics, Iraq, Afghanistan, or other vital news that are largely unreported or under reported on.

As long as they have their Ipods, Internet, cable, cell phones, and other conveniences, what is being reported on the news is just icing on the cake.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I watch MSNBC, Fox, and CNN. That doesn't make me a unthinking individual. I too grow annoyed with the networks sometimes, but I just lower the volume and continue doing what I am doing. Just because everyone doesn't agree with the interests shared by the majority of ATS patrons does not make him or her ignorant and oblivious.

Why does the media cover stories pertaining to Michael Jackson, Kate Plus Eight, and other crap of the same variety? Look to the supply and demand relationship in a Marshallian Cross. The supplying entity wants to be at the equilibrium, just as the demanding entity wants to be.

What I think most ATS users would like is a change in consumer taste in relation to news. I don't know what needs to happen to do this, however.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This is reason why I yanked the cable out of wall a year ago I simply had enough with the useless stories and media frenzies. I haven't watched T.V. in over a year to me it's like being hooked on drugs you need it in order to survive.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
This is why the only MSM news I ever watch with any regularity (and this is still maybe once a month) is 60 minutes, because they still take on some of the real issues. They still have some pretty stupid stories, too, but at least they have some that are of real value, which is more than any other MSM has.

Except that it is still a television "show." It is not news. Several years ago they were caught adding explosives to a Ford truck to show how dangerous it was. They were forced to add the explosive, because after numerous attempts, they could not get a real explosion from an impact, so for good TV, they went forward with their premise and added explosives for effect!!

Don't believe anything on TV. Not even 60 minutes.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I want to put forth an alternative theory. It relates to the dumbing down of media in regards to the Increase in the need for intelligence in the work place.

What I mean to say is that it appears to me that jobs are requiring more and more technically proficient individuals. The more you have to think at your job you less you want to have to think when you come home to turn on the Boob Toob.

Heck even my garbage pickup service has gotten rid of the man riding on back to sling cans concept and has a garbage truck where the operator has controls that would be in in line with operating a front end loader.

He has to
-Target the can to within a certain laser marking spot on his truck.
-Control the actuator to target the can and accurately hinge the can to the vehicles can lift
-Ensure the can has accurately emptied its contents into the trucks storage
-Run the controls on the compactor.
-As well as have a Class 3 CDL drivers license to successfully maneuver the vehicle

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by A.M.L.
What I think most ATS users would like is a change in consumer taste in relation to news. I don't know what needs to happen to do this, however.

To me this is like NASA suddenly switching its agenda from space exploration to predicting trends in fashion, and justifying it by saying they are receiving larger contracts now. It's a sell-out, plain and simple.

The press, especially "news," is supposed to serve a purpose, that is not entertainment. That is why it's in the bill of rights that our press is to remain free from government restrictions (NOT because our founding fathers loved their celebrities so much
). But you'll notice in the past few decades, some ~95% or so of all media has been bought up by about 5 or 6 mega-corporations like General Electric, Sony, Hearst, and Time Warner, that are huge lobbyists. General Electric owns huge chunks of our major media and simultaneously makes a killing off of producing bombs for our military. Now think about that conflict of interest for a second, especially the next time you hear news "pundits" talking about reasons we should go to war with so-and-so, or continue war with so-and-so, or escalate our efforts, etc.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

To me this is like NASA suddenly switching its agenda from space exploration to predicting trends in fashion, and justifying it by saying they are receiving larger contracts now. It's a sell-out, plain and simple.

The press, especially "news," is supposed to serve a purpose, that is not entertainment. That is why it's in the bill of rights that our press is to remain free from government restrictions (NOT because our founding fathers loved their celebrities so much
). But you'll notice in the past few decades, some ~95% or so of all media has been bought up by about 5 or 6 mega-corporations like General Electric, Sony, Hearst, and Time Warner, that are huge lobbyists. General Electric owns huge chunks of our major media and simultaneously makes a killing off of producing bombs for our military. Now think about that conflict of interest for a second, especially the next time you hear news "pundits" talking about reasons we should go to war with so-and-so, or continue war with so-and-so, or escalate our efforts, etc.

NASA is not a private entity looking for profit, and it is not subject to the demand of the American people's consumer taste. I fail to see how your analogy holds any water.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

You're correct, the press is the only private entity that receives - constitutionally - government protection from government. However, this protection does not extend to the whims of the market nor corporate interest.

It could be successfully argued that, indeed, the majority of media has been bought up by corporations. Is this illegal? No.

If I may guess as to the point you are trying to make, you're saying that because of corporate presense in media that it [the mass media] is producing unprofessional, biased, and incompetent journalism. Is that what you're saying? Correct me if I am wrong.

I can not agree with this. Just because the mass media is catering to an audience's taste that is not yours does not make the journalism's quality the aforementioned adjectives.

It is in the company's best interest to yield profitable products. If that product can not be achieved through "profesional" journalism, then I guess we get to hear more stories regarding our celebrities.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
My most recent favorite was the michal jackson mourning watch day 27..Ugh.

While soldiers refuse to deploy over Obama and the wars continue for no good reason in Iraq and Afghanistan we should all be SOOOOoooo concerned about Michal Jackson...

It is such a fluff circus...

I rely on ATS for my news. The MSM is dead to me.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

If I may guess as to the point you are trying to make, you're saying that because of corporate presense in media that it [the mass media] is producing unprofessional, biased, and incompetent journalism. Is that what you're saying? Correct me if I am wrong.

No, I'm saying huge corporations are buying out all US media because it is a strategic asset to them. Most explicitly General Electric, creating the conflict of interest I just mentioned. Maybe you are naive enough to see nothing wrong with getting your war news from the same company making bombs, but I'm not. Also look back to your history books about what happened to the media in Nazi Germany. It not only played a role, it played a critical role in the rise of Nazism. You are a little peasant compared to the people running these companies; they are not like you or me. They do not think like you or me. If you can't get your head into that ball game then I can't help you.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

No, I'm saying huge corporations are buying out all US media because it is a strategic asset to them. Most explicitly General Electric, creating the conflict of interest I just mentioned. Maybe you are naive enough to see nothing wrong with getting your war news from the same company making bombs, but I'm not. Also look back to your history books about what happened to the media in Nazi Germany. It not only played a role, it played a critical role in the rise of Nazism. You are a little peasant compared to the people running these companies; they are not like you or me. They do not think like you or me. If you can't get your head into that ball game then I can't help you.

Can you rectify the fact that NBC has published stories that are critical of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan? Why would General Electric allow it's subsidary to publish articles that would detract from support of the war?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Can you rectify the fact that NBC has published stories that are critical of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan? Why would General Electric allow it's subsidary to publish articles that would detract from support of the war?

Because it's better than having actual independent journalism analyze what is going on. SOMEONE is going to be critical of the wars, because they are insane from a foreign policy standpoint, which is why the UN laughed in our faces when we asked for help to invade Iraq. If you heard nothing but good things about war on your television even YOU would experience cognitive dissonance, because something is not right about that. It's no different than using the Republican/Democrat polarization to fold people against themselves while things NOBODY wants are implemented by both "sides." It's surprising to me that you would not have thought of this before you asked me; do you not think the most powerful institutions that exist in this country would think of this? Do you think they don't study human psychology or tailor to it? Have you never studied advertising gimmicks?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Controlling both side of an argument being presented to a third party (the public) is the most powerful tool you can have.

When there is no opposition, you need to create one in order to give the appearance that all is fair and balanced in the eyes of the public.

This tremendously lowers the chance of a public revolt.

Always appease the public by making them believe they have a choice or that someone is looking out for their best interests.

share this brain nugget with others

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Because it's better than having actual independent journalism analyze what is going on. SOMEONE is going to be critical of the wars, because they are insane from a foreign policy standpoint, which is why the UN laughed in our faces when we asked for help to invade Iraq. If you heard nothing but good things about war on your television even YOU would experience cognitive dissonance, because something is not right about that. It's no different than using the Republican/Democrat polarization to fold people against themselves while things NOBODY wants are implemented by both "sides." It's surprising to me that you would not have thought of this before you asked me; do you not think the most powerful institutions that exist in this country would think of this? Do you think they don't study human psychology or tailor to it? Have you never studied advertising gimmicks?

The fact that NBC publishes works that are critical of the war does not stop independent journalism from being done.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by A.M.L.

Sure but that independent journalism will never get the same coverage as NBC's. That is the difference collectively owning >90% of the media makes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join