It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[HOAX] "I will ask the General Assemly ... to Strip Israel of its Membership"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The only speech by the secretary-general on may 11th 2009 that i could find was this one:

Remarks to the Ministerial Meeting of the Security Council on the situation in the Middle East
Mr. President,

The Council meets at the outset of a very important few weeks for the cause of peace in the Middle East. In this regard, I welcome and appreciate the participation of many distinguished ministers at this time and I appreciate the initiative of the Russian presidency.

After the inconclusive results of last year's negotiations, and the bloodshed in Gaza, the last three months witnessed almost no progress on the two key resolutions – 1850 and 1860 – recently adopted by this Council. I hope that your meeting today will help provide direction and momentum.

Link to full text

Nothing about stripping Israel of it's membership though.

But... may 11 1949 is the date that Israel became a full member of the UN.
Link to the UN resolution concerning Israeli membership
In this document (resolution 273) is no mention of any special condition like the OP stated:

... Few people know that Israel is the only state to be given a conditional admission. Under General Assembly Resolution 273, Israel was admitted on the condition that it grant all Palestinians the right to return to their homes and receive compensation for lost or damaged property, according to General Assembly Resolution 194 paragraph 11. Suffice to say, Israel has never lived up to these terms, and never intended to.

Am I missing something here or is this thread a complete fabrication?

BTW: resolution 273 is quite funny...describing Israel as a peace loving country...classic

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Address by UN Secretary–General Ban-Ki Moon on the 60th Anniversary of Israel's Admission
by Greg Felton
(Monday, May 11, 2009)

For 60 years Israel has violated its terms of admission, and for 60 years the UN has done nothing about it. It has watched as Israel heaped misery upon misery on Palestine, and violated international law with impunity.

United Nations General Assembly,
New York, NY
11 May 2009

Mr. President
Excellencies,
Ladies and Gentlemen:

www.gregfelton.com...

With each passing year, we come closer to our past. Every year brings with it momentous anniversaries of events that shaped our world. For example, we have recently marked the 60th anniversary of the end of World War II and of the United Nations itself. These two events, inextricably linked, form the basis of what we have come to know as the modern era, the post-war era.

For me, as Secretary–General, looking back on where the UN started and where it is now has a special importance, for I am now charged with guiding the world body through unknown and uncertain territory. “Terrorism” has long since replaced “arms control” and “détente” as the focus of international security, yet the term defies definition. One country’s terrorist is another country’s revolutionary hero. Some insist that terrorists are opposed to democracy, but we have all seen democracies behave like terrorists.

In many ways, the world today does not seem to be very removed from the barbarity of world war. The invasion of Iraq has lasted longer than World War II, and more tons of bombs have been dropped on that poor country than all the bombs dropped in that great war. The International Declaration of Human Rights, so prized and venerated by men and women of honour everywhere, stands as an impotent relic of a forgotten time because conquest, cruelty, and arrogance are still with us and growing stronger.

For all of the good the UN has accomplished since its founding, and there have been successes, the sheer magnitude of human suffering and violations of international law that have occurred and are still occurring must also be taken into account.

Few people know that Israel is the only state to be given a conditional admission. Under General Assembly Resolution 273, Israel was admitted on the condition that it grant all Palestinians the right to return to their homes and receive compensation for lost or damaged property, according to General Assembly Resolution 194 paragraph 11. Suffice to say, Israel has never lived up to these terms, and never intended to.

For 60 years Israel has violated its terms of admission, and for 60 years the UN has done nothing about it. It has watched as Israel heaped misery upon misery on Palestine, and violated international law with impunity.

After “Operation Cast Lead,” no person, no country, no democracy can look at Israel without thinking of the inhuman slaughter and destruction committed by the axis powers in World War II, though one could have said the same about numerous past massacres. What atrocities might the world have been spared if the UN had refused to admit Israel 60 years ago?

Of course, the immediate post war world was a different time. The world had just witnessed the horrors of Hitler’s racist excesses, and collective Western guilt for the Holocaust dictated attitudes toward the idea of Jewish state. Even the UN could not withstand the moral pressure.

On Nov. 29, 1947, it passed General Assembly Resolution 181, “The Partition Plan,” to carve a Jewish state out of Arab Palestine. However, it was never ratified by the Security Council, and so does not exist in law, which means the UN played no role in the creation of Israel. Nevertheless, “The Partition Plan” was utterly illegal and a violation of the UN Charter, because the UN had no right or power to take land from one people and give it to another.

If it hopes to play a meaningful role in the 21st century, the UN must do more than simply promise to enact reforms. It must search deep within its soul to redress the fundamental violations of its founding principles, which have long since ceased to have any force. That recommitment must begin now, for it was 60 years ago today, May 11, 1949, that Israel became a member of the UN. The UN cannot hope to achieve any measure of peace or justice as long as it condones war crimes, which it does every day that Israel is allowed to flout its terms of admission.

The past cannot be undone, but the future can change. As its newly elected Secretary-General, I promise that the UN will no longer be a passive enabler of genocide. Therefore, I will ask the General Assembly to meet in special session at the earliest possible time to strip Israel of its membership.

Ordinarily, a motion to expel a member nation would have to come at the recommendation of the Security Council, but this is not an ordinary motion. Because Israel is in violation of its terms of admission, it is not a member in good standing, so the UN has every right to declare General Assembly Resolution 273 null and void. Since Israel’s membership depends on adherence to that resolution, its expulsion is automatic.

Essentially, the unavoidable, lamentable truth of the last six decades is that the UN has been a moral and political failure because it has refused to enforce its own rules and defend the Charter. Nothing the UN does can have any value as long as this illegitimate member occupies a place in the General Assembly. I want the UN to have value.

I count on your support.

Thank you very much.

The past cannot be undone, but the future can change. As its newly elected Secretary-General, I promise that the UN will no longer be a passive enabler of genocide. Therefore, I will ask the General Assembly to meet in special session at the earliest possible time to strip Israel of its membership.

ANY QUESTIONS?

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I went to the globalresearch.ca site and searched the archives and could not find the article you quoted. Where did it come from? Not from Globalresearch.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Well, well....

Mason watcher I gotta tell you, you found a gem, and they stole it back.

I'm sure it will be redacted or cosmetically made more PC; and people will call you a liar for ever having relayed the find.

Too bad really. Every now and again, I like to pretend there's hope. Then AIPAC strikes. And the dance begins all over again.

Yes it is interesting to watch how the hidden hand operates. The fact is the monstrous and grotesque loves to move in the dark. Every time Israel and its sayanim pull a fast one, it marches ever closure to its demise. Shame it treads on the bodies of the innocents along the way.

[edit on 033131p://pm3101 by masonwatcher]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Here is a link to the .pdf transcript. I hosted it on mediafire. If it violates any TOS, then my apologies. I hope THIS link works. lol

Link

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by exile1981
I went to the globalresearch.ca site and searched the archives and could not find the article you quoted. Where did it come from? Not from Globalresearch.

It has been deleted, hence you cannot find it in its archives. The funny thing is, it still pops up in the google search but I surmise not for long.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Here is the text of General Assembly Resolution 273:
www.cfr.org...

It's in the form of "Having received... noting... noting... noting... recalling...; The General Assembly decided... decides."

There's nothing in the "decision" clauses that indicates their decision is contingent on anything; the reference to previous resolutions is in the final "recalling" clause, which it looks to me serves as a preamble, not a negatable basis for the validity of the resolution. I think it would take another specific resolution at the same level of authority to explicitly cancel 273.

I'm no definitive expert on UN legal language, though.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Awesome. I hope Israel loses her membership.

The UN is a place of peace, not a body Israel and the US can exploit to justify terrorist attacks on their enemies, while condemning similar acts from their foe.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnny_Sokko

Johnny_Sokko, I have downloaded it onto my hard drive and stored it elsewhere on the internet. If your link does not work for others, I will distribute the pdf all over the internet and link it back here.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Below are the actual comments on Isreal from the UN SG. I copied them from the UN website. Snipped for lenght.

www.un.org...

Following are the Secretary-General’s remarks to the ministerial meeting of the Security Council on the situation in the Middle East today:

The Council meets at the outset of a very important few weeks for the cause of peace in the Middle East. In this regard, I welcome and appreciate the participation of many distinguished ministers at this time and I appreciate the initiative of the Russian presidency.

After the inconclusive results of last year’s negotiations, and the bloodshed in Gaza, the last three months witnessed almost no progress on the two key resolutions ‑‑ 1850 (2008) and 1860 (2009) ‑‑ recently adopted by this Council. I hope that your meeting today will help provide direction and momentum.

In the period ahead, United States President [Barack] Obama will host the Israeli and Palestinian leaders and key regional parties in Washington. I expect the Quartet to meet soon, and to consult closely with members of the League of Arab States. The challenge is to begin implementing transformative changes on the ground, and to kick-start a renewed and irreversible drive to achieve an Israeli-Palestinian agreement. The ultimate objective remains the emergence of an independent democratic and viable Palestinian State living side by side in peace and security with Israeland a just, lasting and comprehensive peace in the region.

Resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is fundamental for the well-being of both peoples, the region and the world. This Council, the Quartet, States in the region, the international community as a whole and myself as the Secretary General must each play our full role. Security Council resolutions, previous agreements and obligations, and the Arab Peace Initiative give us the framework we need. We should be as determined as we are patient, as insistent as we are supportive, as principled as we are empathetic to the very real concerns of both parties. The parties need confidence that the process will address their vital interests. For that, they need confidence that commitments made will be commitments monitored and commitments kept.

In this regard, I believe there is a deep crisis of confidence among ordinary people on the ground, and for good reason. Palestinians continue to see unacceptable unilateral actions in East Jerusalem and the remainder of the West Bank ‑‑ house demolitions, intensified settlement activity, settler violence, and oppressive movement restrictions due to permits, checkpoints, and the barrier, which are intimately connected to settlements. The time has come for Israel to fundamentally change its policies in this regard as it has repeatedly promised to do, but not yet done. Action on the ground, together with a genuine readiness to negotiate on all core issues, including Jerusalem, borders and refugees, based on Israel’s existing commitments, will be the true tests of Israel’s commitment to the two-State solution.

Ordinary Israelis continue to seek reassurance that a future Palestinian State will guarantee their right to live in peace and security. In this respect, indiscriminate rocket attacks that have caused loss of life, civilian suffering and damage to property in Israel are not only deeply unacceptable, but also totally counterproductive, and must cease. The Palestinian Authority must continue its efforts to consolidate progress in developing and deploying an effective security structure and the functioning institutions of a future State ‑‑ work which Israel must facilitate. For its part, Israel should refrain from using excessive force that kills and injures civilians, as it did during the recent conflict in Gaza with such devastating consequences. Firm and full respect for international humanitarian law by all parties is indispensable.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The rest of the UN SG's May 11th comment. Again it's from the UN website.

Finally, Mr. President, let me emphasize the important regional context. Arab countries have reaffirmed their commitment to the Arab Peace Initiative, which offers Israel the opportunity for acceptance and security within the region on the basis of land for peace. This remains a key framework around which a comprehensive approach to peace can and must be built. I continue to believe strongly in the potential for activating the regional tracks of the peace process, alongside a rejuvenated Palestinian track, including between Israel and Syria, on the basis of land for peace. I support the convening of an international conference in Moscow. I also look to Arab and regional countries to play a positive role regarding the internal Palestinian situation by urging all parties to turn away from violence and weapons acquisition, and towards reunification under one Palestinian Authority committed to PLO principles ‑‑ and, indeed, the Arab Peace Initiative itself.

Like a bicycle that falls over when left at a standstill, the situation on the ground could easily deteriorate unless proper direction is given and real momentum is quickly generated. Violence and terror will not bring the Palestinians statehood and dignity, and settlement expansion and closure will not bring Israel security or peace. And no two-State solution can be reached if the situation between Gaza and southern Israel continues on its present destructive course, or if Palestinians remain permanently divided.

I call on the parties to honour all existing agreements and previous commitments and pursue an irreversible effort towards the two-State solution, including by fully implementing commitments on the ground. I also believe the international community’s credibility is at stake. We are a long way from where we hoped to be when we embarked on a fresh push for peace less than two years ago. However, I take heart that there is a deep consensus about the scale of the challenge and the importance of meeting it. Let us move forward with confidence and resolve, knowing that if we rise to our responsibilities, we will help the parties rise to theirs, too.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

General Assembly Resolution 273 specifically calls on resolutions 181 and 194 (in the form of "Recalling its resolutions of 29 November 1947 and 11 December 1948") I believe they contain the details regarding the stipulations to which the Israeli Government acceded willingly.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

....remarks to the ministerial meeting of the Security Council

Is this not a different meeting entirely?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
www.globalresearch.ca...If you google "strip Israel of it membership" global research is in fact the first link, but when you click on it, it says "article not available"

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonwatcher
reply to post by Johnny_Sokko

Johnny_Sokko, I have downloaded it onto my hard drive and stored it elsewhere on the internet. If your link does not work for others, I will distribute the pdf all over the internet and link it back here.

Fine by me. But why would they pull it? What's the big deal?

Not one line.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Secretary General Ban Ki Moon / Offical page . link

No mention of this statement

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whats the story with Greg Felton ?

Besides the fact that he is pushing a book , available exclusively from his website ........ "until I can find an honest publisher. "

The emphasis on the word "honest" is his own .

===============================================
Update

It looks like the following is a send-up - mores the pity. There is even a pdf of the "statement" in realistic UN official-looking format here . So, as of right now, my opinion of Ban Ki-Moon remains un-revised

One of the few links to the "alleged" statement , Sabretache Blogspot / update.

===============================================

Looks bogus , Mr. Greg Felton has a book to sell .
[edit on 15-5-2009 by UmbraSumus]

[edit on 15-5-2009 by UmbraSumus]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I have an even better idea.

Get the US out of the UN, which is another term for all nations against the United States.

We fund it, we host it, and it's as useful as tits on a tomcat.

All the little dogs yap, yap, yap, but don't contribute a damned thing, which would include funding, fairness, or common sense.

Shut it down.

A noble idea, but like all noble ideas, it doesn't work.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
This is the disclaimer from the "source" that actually worked:

Christian News from Jerusalem is operated by Bible believing Christians here in Jerusalem, Israel. With prophecy unfolding today so rapidly, a clear understanding of these events is something that
cannot be formed by tuning in to a mainstream media designed to brainwash you. News from Jerusalem is your connection to the land of Israel - reports for these days when a biblical perspective on current events is essential to our survival.
www.thejerusalemgiftshop.com...

This is not a legit news source. I think that if the UN Secretary General actually said this - to the general assembly no less - it would have been covered by the "Zionist" main stream media.

This is complete bubkis. Sorry to let you down, but Israel isn’t getting kicked out the UN. It’s too bad though, UN is useless.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
double post. Opps.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by finemanm]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Looks bogus , Mr. Greg Felton has a book to sell .

All we know is that this UN type announcement is being deleted all over the internet, zionists and Israeli apologists hate it and it has not been reported on msn.

I would normally say, let's see it pan out but cannot do so for such an announcements because sayanim gremlins will do their thing.

Finally, you clearly will use anything to discredit anyone. A normal human being will say who is Mr. Greg Felton and find out for themselves but you immediately attack him because he writes a book. A proactive zionist tactic.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join