It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

New colored tags to replace the mystery colored bar...

page: 24
30
<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Really stars and flags are member applause. If you want to go one further a nice u2u to the member regarding their above and beyond post is always well received.




posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
stars and flags are member applause, but mods can play favorites, or not even notice what is being said. A standard may be in order.



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
stars and flags are member applause, but mods can play favorites, or not even notice what is being said.


No, we can't. Every action is logged, even applause.



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by seagrass
stars and flags are member applause, but mods can play favorites, or not even notice what is being said.


No, we can't. Every action is logged, even applause.
you can't play favorites?
Of course you can. Whether or not it is logged does not apply to a standard for it.

you might be able to detect favoritism, but whether or not someone applauds a great post is questionable. They may feel stingy that day.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by seagrass]



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass
 


Do you regularly post on internet sites and call people liars? I for one do not appreciate it.



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
perhaps a post should get a gold star if it has been applauded..
That way we know what to look for in a thread... what not to miss.



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Not calling you a liar. Not saying you play favorites, but it can be done. People are human. We like and dislike easily. We like to judge.
Perhaps a standard is in order if we are being rated by it.
edited to add, that personally, I detest the rating system at all.
I am for treating people equally, but since there is a rating system, I believe it should be fair.. don't you?

[edit on 16-5-2009 by seagrass]



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass
 


Actually seagrass, my observation is that the opposite often happens.

I have many ATS moderator "friends" and many "friends" who became moderators and they are all very conscious and sensitive of the appearance of favoritism. Hence they will always err on the side of caution.

I have never witnessed any such favoritism.

I am assuming as much as I think I should have at least 850 applausezes by now.



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
If member stars and flags are applause then why do we need another form of it?



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer
 


Wow , the site owner gets in on the talks....cool beans. one of us --one of us.

your subjects value your wisdom in change, ohh Great One !



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by seagrass
 


Actually seagrass, my observation is that the opposite often happens.

I have many ATS moderator "friends" and many "friends" who became moderators and they are all very conscious and sensitive of the appearance of favoritism. Hence they will always err on the side of caution.

I have never witnessed any such favoritism.

I am assuming as much as I think I should have at least 850 applausezes by now.
I haven't seen it either shrodog, in my travels. Like I said, I detest the rating system in general. But then, we don't get to see what gets applauded so who knows.
I would like to see a gold star in that case.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by seagrass]



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass
 
Just tippitoeing in for a minute to say that i have butted heads here with some mods thru the years, and i was very surprised and somewhat shocked that they gave me applauses when they didnt have to. They, the staff here, give credit where they believe its due.

And thats the truthhhhhhhh.

They are fair.



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   


Is Bill at it again?

I had a "critical mind" now I'm "aware' whats going on? I have 40 applause?


"this one is aware" - 20 or more applause

"this is a critical mind" - 40 or more applause

"we have a deep thinker" - 60 or more applause

"a fine conspiracist" - 80 or more applause

"simply stunning insight" - 100 or more applause

"godlike wisdom" - 150 or more applause

[edit on 16-5-2009 by SLAYER69]



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Just curious, there are sites where you can only rep a person so often. You have to "spread it around" before you can rep that person again.

Is that the case with applause?



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
...we don't get to see what gets applauded so who knows.
I would like to see a gold star in that case.


That sounds good to me. To my knowledge, members can observe and identify the post relating every other action but that one-- post deletion of various kinds, mod edits, stars, flags, the posts themselves, but not applause.



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass
 


Members often star and flag "their friends as well seagrass, it happens

Is there opportunities to "play with" the system... yes

All I know is when I get an applause I savor it because so far it has happened because I have had an impact on the staff or owners.

I would trade a star for a laugh any day.
I would accept an applause for wisdom always.

I hang on to my points just encase they start trading alien shaped jelly beans at the ATS store for points.

Those bars always confused me.

Try out the Mutterbox at BTS it's fun T&C apply
Can't wait to see it on ATS as well.



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

Originally posted by seagrass
...we don't get to see what gets applauded so who knows.
I would like to see a gold star in that case.


That sounds good to me. To my knowledge, members can observe and identify the post relating every other action but that one-- post deletion of various kinds, mod edits, stars, flags, the posts themselves, but not applause.
Being able to see that a post has been applauded might promote the quality that ATS is looking for. Besides, it helps us look for the important parts in long threads.



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I kind of like that applause is private. I don't get many of them (obviously) but sometimes I've been given them on sensitive topics and I feel like if people saw that, they could get angry. Like "Why are they applauded for saying x about y, when I think z?"



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin
reply to post by seagrass
 


Members often star and flag "their friends as well seagrass, it happens

Is there opportunities to "play with" the system... yes

All I know is when I get an applause I savor it because so far it has happened because I have had an impact on the staff or owners.

I would trade a star for a laugh any day.
I would accept an applause for wisdom always.

I hang on to my points just encase they start trading alien shaped jelly beans at the ATS store for points.

Those bars always confused me.

Try out the Mutterbox at BTS it's fun T&C apply
Can't wait to see it on ATS as well.




That is for sure. But, then that is clique and favoritism behavior of which is hard to stop. In fact, I flagged my friends threads recently based on the system.



posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
I kind of like that applause is private. I don't get many of them (obviously) but sometimes I've been given them on sensitive topics and I feel like if people saw that, they could get angry. Like "Why are they applauded for saying x about y, when I think z?"
exactly, another reason for a standard. Applause is subjective.



new topics

top topics



 
30
<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

log in

join