It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New colored tags to replace the mystery colored bar...

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The side-effect of these new concepts is going to be quality versus quantity.

Members will try and try with certain threads, but one truth with ATS that has always remained is that when a member truly takes the time to author a great thread... they are rewarded for it. Staff applaud, members can now star and flag it.. which in turn now provides tangible rewards through these images in our member area.

And if these new concepts are promoting quality contributions from our members, then they are already succeeding.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I agree. Literally I've posted more threads in the past 24 hours than the past 24 days. But it's not awful... I just like posting replies more than threads.

Well you have over 2,000 posts and I have less and only 17 threads. Could that be why?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
If it hasn't already been mentioned there is now another bronze tag where you still see the ads, but get some recognition.

The updates and changes are all reflected in SO's opening post.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Wow... I'll say this much, you all really DO CARE.

It's amazing, frustrating, flattering, maddening and incredible all at the same time.

Hi Springer,

Well they say that in marriage it's pretty much over when neither spouse can muster the energy or interest to argue and or get very emotional; if that's as true as my experience suggests this ATS experiment is a long way from over.....

Either way the best way to discover just how much we 'care' is to try to implement the sort of thing you guys just did.

Good luck....

Stellar

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MatrixProphet

Just that they are "shock and awe" thread writers.

I disagree, yes there are some who make catchy titles and arguments like "Was Jesus Gay?" (Just an example, please DO NOT FLAME ME)

But then there are ones who make quality, well researched threads. And if anything the ones in the UFO field who make them get less recognition than those in the political because in the UFO field there is no absolue proof.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Certainly a good system to encourage members to create Threads, which as SO shows is the whole engine of ATS anyhow.

Further to this I feel as a community a further system could be implemented, based as such on the old WATS scheme, a Member of the Year, to encourage retention and consistency of members to.

Like the polls a voting system by members maybe in the Early Christmass time holidays for nominations and votes for the most respected and helpful, etc member of the previous year, Mods and all.

To reward this member a similar badge but also why not throw in $50 or so of free ATS gear, or maybe a custom ATS member of year (title could be as required) Baseball Cap or such like...

To ease the worries of many long standing members, also maybe a further classification such as Veteran etc for long time ACTIVE members of 5yrs+
etc...

All in all I think this new system is well thought out, and I am amazed it has got so many members knickers in a Twist.
I for one am very happy at no ads indeed, I try not to be too much of a "Consumer" and have a very old Skyscraper PC which didnt like them much a faster ATS for members allows me to read more so thank you!

Often on threads I have spent days collating huge amounts of Info and links, knowing they wouldn't get flagged much but thought the content was important for members and visitors to see, if flags where the motivator as Mike Singh pointed out I would post in 10 minutes instead about Gay Bikers on Acid spotted on Jupiter with adolf hitler to gain those (it has to be on the net somewhere lol).

I have always judged members myself on the quality and content of their contributions, never status, Mod or not, Points or flags etc.... and I think most of the real supporting members/staff of ATS idea, and philosophy do to. The real badge or status imho is unspoken and not worn, and any real truth seeker will keep posting threads based on that, not a badge system anyhow. So really this should not bother them or not really. If they reach cosmic or such like, 10,000 threads well sourced and not sensational, and of a deeper nature than the 5mins info hit world we live in today.....
well god might have a god to

How about a change of name SO to Cosmic Overlord?

Kind Regards,

Elf

[edit on 16-5-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by whatukno
are you gonna finally give out the secret to them?

No... because I forgot what it was.

This made my day.

Or my MONTH really......lolerz Bill
Ye Overlord Of Cosmosity!!

[edit on 16-5-2009 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

(1) Reviewed all threads prior to the beginning of flagging

(2) Found all those older threads with 30 or more replies

(3) Assigned 0.0625 flags-per-reply for replies, beginning with the 21st reply

(4) Thread flag totals were rounded-down to the nearest integer

(5) The thread author was credited with the newly calculated aged flags

This should help the level things for our longer-term members who authored lots of popular threads before flagging began.

You, sir, are awesome.

You just bumped me up to Bronze thanks to that great idea.
Now I have no ads again.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Let's face it folks, we live in a world of

SHOCK AND AWE

But that doesn't mean we discount the finer things that (as I recently said in another thread) FLY under the RADAR.

You can find what you are looking for here regardless of your personal flavor choices, you just have to learn how to look~~~

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I guess I should have a gold by now.
Been on here long enough.

What the Heck, I'm lucky to be able to even log-in!
Not to mention even getting around on the ATS.

I remember the time when I could actually talk
with those I knew. Not many left, but S.O. is still here.

Who say's, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."
I figured out how to post a picture with the new stuff!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Mine is not reading right, I should be "SOLID:
The core of our contributing members who may not be able to spend lots of time authoring threads, the indicator requires at least:
50 posts, 50 stars, and 50 flags."

What do I need to do ?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

But then there are ones who make quality, well researched threads. And if anything the ones in the UFO field who make them get less recognition than those in the political because in the UFO field there is no absolue proof.

Yes, I agree with you. But I am talking about some of the political threads that may actually not have much research but get everyone's attention.

I do a lot of religious conspiracy threads and they don't tend to get as much attention. I always put a lot of time and thought along with research into most of them. Hence, they tend to be a little wordy and long!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

You are short a few flags.

You need 9 more to reach Solid.

Start a few good threads and you will get over the line.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

As it is easy to get stars and flags in political threads, because it plays to peoples biases.

It wasn't easy for me.

Oh that works both ways since my political opinion is not poopular, I have, one flag here, or there, or zero, zero, zero, then a two, maybe a four.

It may look like I swing conservative, but I am really more in the middle,

My most stars came from a George Carlin topic.

So my flags didn't come easy it took a lot of post, although I wasn't going for flags or stars, I wanted to inform, some of my topics were just flat out information with not even a reply from another poster,

Bull headed ain't I?

I am not good at writing but I do like to research I used to be a research fanatic, but now I am getting tired.

The old board I came from didn't give stars or flags, nothing.

Only grief, hee hee

carry on

[edit on 053131p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

Thanks for the quick reply. Once again I would just like to say I am so glad I found this site and I feel honored to set and chat with such gifted people. Too bad we all couldnt meet someday.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
We should all meet and have an ATS party!!!

Yah~

ATS party~~~

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I don't think we should judge each other -- or even worse, ourselves -- by these designations/tags. That's not what they're there for. Okay, I finally get it. The tags indicate a level of contribution. Granted, we [subjective) might feel we have "earned" a higher level. This new tag system, it is objective; it uses a measurable formula for reaching a designation. It's a yardstick.

If we take stock in the tags, we also know what to do to change it. If a person truly doesn't care about it one way or another, then there is really no argument.

Most of all, I think most of us are happy to be here, and intrigued by the changes that admin/staff put forth from time to time, in an attempt to keep things fresh and interesting.

I think it's a fascinating study in positive behavioral modification, and I am already responding to it.

Cheers friends

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
how can i tell how many stars i have recieved?

post count and flags is all good, but stars... i wouldn't have a clue how many i've got.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

You live in Kansas? There is probably a chance of a meet for you.

Sometimes members try to organize gatherings in some of the BTS forums, and are usually localized to an area of the US.

So if one comes up in your area you could attend.

Or even organize one yourself.

(They aren't sponsored or supported by the ATS staff in any way, but I don't think they mind members organizing them independently).

Originally posted by spearhead
how can i tell how many stars i have recieved?

post count and flags is all good, but stars... i wouldn't have a clue how many i've got.

You've got 245. Click on your name in the miniprofile there and it is written in (hard to see) silver writing in your main profile background.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
oh.... its all good. i found it on my profile.

woo-pa-cha!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join