It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New colored tags to replace the mystery colored bar...

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
Obiously noone is going to acknowledge what I was saying because of my "peasant" status, ...

Now that's entirely the wrong attitude to start carrying like a chip on your shoulder around here.

You're request is a valid one and makes sense but it would garner more favour without the negativity.

Well, see, that was a successful experiment on my part. Now that I projected the image of carrying a chip on my shoulder and received a reponse for it, my negativity was just given some validation.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Obiously noone is going to acknowledge what I was saying because of my "peasant" status,

Stop being so self conscious. Not receiving replies doesn't just happen to you it happens to everybody.

It's not a "conspiracy"

You wont get many flags or stars with that kind of attitudes from our readers. Just a thought.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Oh dear, I wish certain individuals would not get so lugubrious over a web forum status system

This querulous behaviour is taking the shine of my gold badge

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
I have become lazy since I retired and this is just the ticket to boost me into overdrive making goals to reach.
I'm going for the Gold no matter how long it takes.

Jeeez! You better step on the gas, considering that you've already retired!!

Ok, just joking! You're right where achieving one's goals are concerned. But I'll hasten to add that flagging really depends on the topic you choose. The more weird it is the more flags you get!

For example if I start a thread on a subject which I'm fairly well versed in like, The Conspiracy Behind The Georgian Attack And NATO's Response, it would probably get me a couple of flags, though it would have taken hours to set it up with all the maps, images and research material.

But if I start a thread titled, Did NASA Nuke The Face On Mars To Hide The Truth?, I'd probably get a gazillion flags!!

So now you know what to do if you're determined to achieve your goal of a gold membership in quick time!

This is one place where weirdos are respected to a fair extent! Like me!!

Cheers!

[edit on 16-5-2009 by mikesingh]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Would it help if ":content contributor" was removed? I find it redundant to have that on every part. I find it confusing anyway, since the ":" implies there may be something other than "content contributor" to be earned. Is the ":" even needed?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

I think that there should be a system for content contributors (people who post threads) and content... responders (people who respond to threads).

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Glad there's a thread on this.

I wasn't sure what it all meant when I first saw the tag.

Seems to have stirred the pot somewhat on this thread. hehheh

Thanks for the explanation S/O.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

Would it help if ":content contributor" was removed? I find it redundant to have that on every part. I find it confusing anyway, since the ":" implies there may be something other than "content contributor" to be earned. Is the ":" even needed?

Absolutely right, from a picky graphic and design point-of-view. The colon in the per-level graphics is incorrect. And the colon in the text labels for total posts and total points, below the graphic, should have a space after it.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well I think everything is settling down nicely, everyone is settling in to the new system and it seems to work well on a wide spectrum of members.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Obiously noone is going to acknowledge what I was saying because of my "peasant" status,

Stop being so self conscious. Not receiving replies doesn't just happen to you it happens to everybody.

It's not a "conspiracy"

You wont get many flags or stars with that kind of attitudes from our readers. Just a thought.

Oh dear. I followed that up with an explanation that I was to see what would happen if I started projecting a more negative personality. I was satisfied to receive one response satisfied a falsifiable hypothesis but now I have three! Whee!

reply to post by SonicInfinity

Isn't contributing content on the site to be understood by default? It seems a bit redundant if all there is is content. Maybe I just don't know, but is there something we can contribute that has no content?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

You can contribute without posting new threads.

Essentially.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Allrightythen. Thunderstorm took out our internet last night, so of course the first stop after seeing the beloved "internet" light turn a lovely green an hour ago, was here at ATS.

I'd hoped that the sense of discontent would have abated from the new tags, and it looks so. What a great place this is where everyone is working so hard to improve things, and we have the freedom to express our thoughts.

I like the new system. I think it will work -- does work. I hope none of us, regardless of our particular tag, places too much focus on that. I'd hate to think that we would interact differently.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
THIS SOCKS!!!!.........

I was finaly gonna break the magical (for me anyway) 10.000 points mark but because of a negative BTS score i'm now back were i began......

I was gonna throw a party and now.....nothing. And i've got all these snacks.....bummer.

Just kiddin, it looks great!!!

Peace

On a side note, congrats HX!!! i do believe that you must be one of the fastest rising stars here on ATS (next to Questionall but without the fearmonger
) and i would like to thank you for all the input you have provided in most threads i have enjoyed over the last couple of months....

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

You can contribute without posting new threads.

Essentially.

I feel like that's an equivocation on the meaning of "content". Posting is content, among other things like media. Perhaps adding stars, flags and profile comments come as close as possible to contributing without content.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Yeah. Isn't it funny that posting on the media site gets you nothing but messed up comments?

Hence why I pretty much stopped.

Hence why I took like eight videos down.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

LOL, I loved the "NASA Nukes The Face On Mars" comment......

Um.........New thread preview???

LOL.

BTW: I think we have all had those threads with a lot of research that didn't quite take off.

[edit on 5/16/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
After reading the 20 odd pages of this thread, and reading all the different points of view, I'm actually glad I'm tagless.

It's just sunk in that I don't think I'd be happy with Apprentice either, cause I don't feel like one.
I'd only be an Apprentice as far as starting threads nothing else.
So, I think I like it the way it is.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
If one bit of advice could be given: Just give this some time and see where it goes. No one should feel inadequate. Let's have a quick rehash:

At first several people (including myself, to be honest) were a bit surprised to be labeled as 'Novice.' Within minutes of the new feature and seeing people's disappointment, Skeptic Overlord adjusted the categories and created a 'Solid' for members who have a ton of stars, posts, and may have been here a while but who lacked flags due to not being huge thread starters.

Then it was pointed out that long term members who helped get ATS off the the ground were still lowly ranked. Pretty much everyone, including myself, agreed this was unbalanced and unfair to those who had posted several threads before the flagging feature was available. This skewed the results to their disadvantage so Skeptic Overlord again did a ton of coding in order to make things fair. Lots of members were then rightfully upgraded.

Then it was suggested applause be taken into account as well. So now what? Skeptic Overlord has created a tag for applause as a way to acknowledge the contributions who contribute quality, if not quantity.

So as we can all see, the tweaks are being hammered out and the management is most definitely listening to every single one of us. Nothing is in stone yet.

Also, if you go to just about every single forum on the internet, you will see members defined by their post count. Perhaps the levels are 'Newbie, Member, Regular, and Addict' for example. Of course ATS isn't most sites (we're better
) but such a rating feature is very standard. I think some are simply in shock because this is new for ATS.

I would personally like to see something based on post count as that would be the most fair but this feature really is great and they are taking all of our concerns into consideration. I believe this was only started yesterday and look how many times it has already been tweaked. So anyone who may be a bit disgruntled, please hang in there.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Hey check this out

Most new posts on ATS in one 24-hour period: 10,025 on May 15 2009 @ 01:40 GMT

hee hee

Nice strategy

and

For all my green tag friends,

TY

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
After reading the 20 odd pages of this thread, and reading all the different points of view, I'm actually glad I'm tagless.

It's just sunk in that I don't think I'd be happy with Apprentice either, cause I don't feel like one.
I'd only be an Apprentice as far as starting threads nothing else.
So, I think I like it the way it is.

Hang in there fellow Peasant, the ATS elite might throw us a few crumbs just yet. We can refrain from the class warfare for now.

Personally, I'd like more occulty labels like heirophant, adept, master, initiate, neophyte, ascended, etc. I guess "profane" might stick in someone's craw though.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join