It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New colored tags to replace the mystery colored bar...

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
It's easier to see who contributes the most with this new system, although it does put some of us to shame.

I suppose some of us quieter members will have to up the ante on our postings here.

-Will

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
There is NEVER any shame in being a member of ATS.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law*.

* Well that and the T&C, but who's counting?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
[edit on 16-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
It has been said...they will never be able to please all the people all the time. (I am guilty of this myself)

I like the idea of knowing who the more prolific thread starters as a reference for where perhaps to read some good content. Of course some of it will not be what I am interested in or what I consider crap even, but that is all relative to each member.

Titles might not have been necessary but still a reference point. If someone strives to raise their rank perhaps reading the threads of those with a higher rank will teach them how to post "better".

I can't ever imagine getting much higher than novice but thats ok I am more a reader anyway. As for the name it's fine with me, but then compared to many members I am a novice here. After a few years it may look odd to have a novice rating but oh well. Perhaps if "years of service" were added to the formula the titles under the ranking could go up.

Most forums on the net have some sort of ranking system, rep system, hierarchy, it is all just represented differently on each site. Motivators keep members involved and no matter the system someone will find a way to abuse it.

Just my 2 cents

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

Just how do you get so many applause's and so few flags, that one baffles me.

What only the MOD's like your threads?

I like this new system, BUT it is more thread creation driven for content, a lack of flags will hold many people back.

Some people are solid contributors but they are not thread creators, it's just not their style, so they are still novices after 3 years on ATS and after like 1000 posts and 300 stars.

I would suggest a new category for these types of posters that are having the lack of flags holding them to being a novice, Call them something else because they aren't a novice poster it makes them look bad.

Maybe 1000+ posts, 300+ stars 0 flags = "Senior Content Contributor"

Not complaining, it's all good, I like it. I am happy with my ranking
I was just looking at other peoples situations and felt sorry for them.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

The second line you see on some profiles measures applause. It's described in SkepticOverlord's OP as well.

So in my profile it says "Novice: content contributor" and it also says something like "this is a critical mind".

The "critical mind" line is based on how many applauses I've gotten.

Also, the reason people get more applause than flags is because you can get applause for a response to a thread, whereas you have to start a thread to get a flag.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Ok I didn't know that, thanks. Also your a prime example what I was talking about in my last post, your somebody that shouldn't be a novice, you have a ton of posts and almost 1000 stars, you're no novice. And flags are holding you back.

Anyways....
So any tips which forums the mods hang out in ATS or BTS

[edit on 16-5-2009 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Awesome idea!

I'm new around here but I can't wait to start gettin my stats up.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

They be Gods don't ye know lad...they be everywhere and nowhere!

Like Gnomes and Sprites even!!!

~poof~

1) Tinfoil...ssshhh...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33
I like this new system, BUT it is more thread creation driven for content, a lack of flags will hold many people back.

Some people are solid contributors but they are not thread creators, it's just not their style, so they are still novices after 3 years on ATS and after like 1000 posts and 300 stars.

Just part of the deal.

I'm proud to be a 'solid' member. There are some really outstanding ATSers in the same category, and I'm also proud to be their brothers in (solid) arms.
Majic, twitchy and many others are long standing members who are still on a 'low' rank.

In saying that, I'm only 2 flags away from Bronze now so I guess I'll be leaving our esteemed solid friendship soon enough

But who cares? Ranks aren't what we are here for.

I've been here 3 years and have over 2000 posts and 1000 stars, but the flags let me down. I have 2 out of the 3 qualifications for GOLD, but as I said, my threads tend not to accrue many flags.

I'm not a thread maker unless I really see a need for the content I'd be posting. I don't follow that well known, morally twisted 'formula' to generate flags and stars that many people use.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
So what happens if someone puts the "Gold contributor" image on top of their avatar manually?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

It is against the T & C to 'fake' any badges or titles on ATS.

2a.) Identity Spoofing: You will not impersonate any person or entity, forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any posting. Doing so will result in removal of your post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

Emphasis mine.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
this is cool, but i do have one question:

admittedly ive been gone nearly a year (couldnt log in, got wierd error messages and gave up after a week) but im still listed as a novice. any specific reason as to why?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damocles
this is cool, but i do have one question:

admittedly ive been gone nearly a year (couldnt log in, got wierd error messages and gave up after a week) but im still listed as a novice. any specific reason as to why?

Your numbers are impressive but you like so many of us are flag light.

Without the flags you can not move to the next level.

You have been around a lot longer then I have so it may seem a bit unfair to you.

I didn't come to ATS looking for stars, flags or points. So it doesn't have as great of an impact on me.

Maybe they will find a way to grandfather you senior ATSers in.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
NOVICE:
the indicator requires at least:
20 posts, 10 stars, and 10 flags.

I think you have to meet all criteria, you have the posts ect so just need to up them stars or flags a little,

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
yeah i reread it, sorry half asleep.

need more flags is all. cuz i got way plenty stars.

need 50 posts, 50 stars, 50 flags. i have 1839 posts, 592 stars but only 25 flags lol

kinda wish the posts and stars could be used to compensate for the flags. dont feel like a novice contributor lol. oh well, 's all good.

btw, nice to see you still around 'sala

[edit on 16-5-2009 by Damocles]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   

godlike wisdom" - 150 or more applause

haha i loved reading that totaly cracked me up

love it!!!

sorry for short post :-)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damocles
yeah i reread it, sorry half asleep.

need more flags is all. cuz i got way plenty stars.

need 50 posts, 50 stars, 50 flags. i have 1839 posts, 592 stars but only 25 flags lol

kinda wish the posts and stars could be used to compensate for the flags. dont feel like a novice contributor lol. oh well, 's all good.

btw, nice to see you still around 'sala

[edit on 16-5-2009 by Damocles]

I would give you mind but even with my measly 19 you would still be short.

Look at it this way. You are in good company and everyone will think that you are some twenty year old wet behind the ears kid; so take advantage of it.

Be daring. Say what is really on your mind.

Just remember to be civil.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn
Be daring. Say what is really on your mind.

whats really on my mind would scare the bejesus out of most people.

or offend them....

ill stop derailing the topic now. my questions are answered...well about this anyway...and would have been without me posting at all had i actually read the op a little more closely.

oops

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I officially love Bill and the administration. In fact, I offer my hand in marriage - I can cook, clean and wear tin foil on special occasions
Offers?

Love Bill? Offer your hand in marriage? Jeez! I ain't dead yet. I'm tall, dark and handsome..and needless to say virile!!
If you're of the opposite sex, straight and not a mod on ATS (you'll be too busy to cook and clean for me if you are!), then you're my girl!!
(You're a girl?
)

And of course we've both been members of ATS since the age of the dinosaurs, both are SMEs, gold Cosmic Content Contributers and both have simply stunning insight!

Wow! Can there be a more suitable suitor?

Think it over. You'll find me at the beer bar!

And... great makeover, Bill!
ATS is getting nattier by the day! Bash on! But hey, the background gold color pretty much sucks! Can it be brightened up a bit? Thanx!

Cheers!

[edit on 16-5-2009 by mikesingh]

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join