It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New colored tags to replace the mystery colored bar...

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I must say I like the new system, it's straight forward and easy to comprehend.

With the added "Applause-o-meter" it now makes it even more straight forward.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I'm not sure exactly what it means but if I could hazard a guess...

What is beginning is the elitism, and stratification of ATS society.

That's the way I feel anyway. But what do I know I'm only a solid.

I hate to imply it so harshly, but it's a sad reality. For veteran users, this will obviously be no problem, but for all the newer users who don't understand the system, they will place more value on members with a higher status. It happens on MySpace (friends), YouTube (subscribers), and other places.

reply to post by jkrog08

You shouldn't be posting on ATS to reach any "level." You should be posting on ATS to contribute interesting information, opinions on conspiracy theories, etc.

[edit on 5/15/2009 by SonicInfinity]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Any badge or honor has the capability to bring about elitism and the club mentality. Something as simple as the two bar system that was used can cause the same. Cliques and elitism will forever be apart of our human condition and it will always be around in any society virtual or real. All we can do is laugh at those who feel they are oh so important. Let them have their “glory” cause it’s obvious they need it to keep a stable psyche. Everyone else must realize that we are here for the content and the experience of collaborating with people from all over the globe. To learn and teach if we can.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

You're not saying it in the same manner, but still. I guess when used positively, it's fine, but it's going to be annoying seeing all the new/uninformed users use it in a negative way.

That is what I think the biggest concern should be; Not that bronze represents certain people well or solid represents he or she well.

The new people that sign up may have some trouble understanding at first but those who are "worthy" will eventually see it is about content and not about the validity of one's opinion/post.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

Does being a mod mean that I can't start new threads? No. Hell no!

I'm glad to hear that.

I have observed that one of the unintended consequences of moderatorship is that it gives you guys less time to generate the kind of threads that made you stand out as quality members to begin with.

That is a loss to the rest of us.

Perhaps this new system will help motivate a renewed and revitalized interest in our moderators to generate powerful new threads.

I also hope that you guys give yourself some pats in the back and allow yourselves to applaud each other when it is merited without fear of being accused of preferential treatment.

A quality post is a quality post and should be applauded no matter the standing of the member.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I'm not sure exactly what it means but if I could hazard a guess...

What is beginning is the elitism, and stratification of ATS society.

That's the way I feel anyway. But what do I know I'm only a solid.

It is your opinion that elitism WILL start.

Human life itself is of equal value, but humans all essentially exhibit difference and uniqueness. Consequently, humans strive for equality, when it is simply not inherent within us as a species.

In other words, be comfortable with who you are and do not care about a virtual, online internet computing system that determines one's "rank".

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
Wow, now I see why you have the additional tag "Simply stunning insight".

Thanks! But there's a back story, as is so often the case around here.

In the case of applause, which is what is used to determine that label, the last applause I received was (if memory serves me) within 24 hours of becoming a mod. It was my last applause, and for an applause whore like me, that was a pretty tough thing to give up.

Mods can't applaud other mods, except informally by sending a U2U (which doesn't add to your applause count), which I do once in a while when I see a post by a fellow mod that screams "AWESOME!"

And so my status as a mod means I will never get enough applause to "rise" to the next level (unless I get sacked, for which there's arguably plenty of cause, though I try my best to be worthy of staying on
).

But for every cloud, there's a silver lining. In this case, although I can no longer receive applause, I can give applause as I see fit, and when I see a post or thread that impresses me, I'm not shy about handing it out.

Hmm, as usual, I'm being self-centered here, but hopefully my point -- that it's all relative and nothing to get uptight over -- isn't lost in all my babbling.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Ugh, I just thought of something that I may regret bringing up, but it has to be said.

There have been many "Christian vs Atheist" debates on ATS in the past. Will the term "godlike" bring about hate amongst some Christians or other people of faith, regardless of the "g" not being capitalized? Even though I believe in God myself, I don't really care, but I know the subject of God can be really touchy with some people.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I have God Like Wisdom!??!?!???

I have no more complaints, Billy, I lurv you, and to everyone else.. I will accept the virgin sacrifices!
I jest.

Seriously, thanks for adding the Applause-o-meter! Those that strive for excellence in their normal postings will be highlighted.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
Ugh, I just thought of something that I may regret bringing up, but it has to be said.

There have been many "Christian vs Atheist" debates on ATS in the past. Will the term "godlike" bring about hate amongst some Christians or other people of faith, regardless of the "g" not being capitalized? Even though I believe in God myself, I don't really care, but I know the subject of God can be really touchy with some people.

It may offend some, but I doubt it.

If it does it could be replaced with something related to SO maybe?

'Overlord in Training'?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Yes!

A FINE CONSPIRACIST= An incredible head case

I like it.

Hehe, never a finer title for you my friend!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Just a thought...

It seems some of the discontent over the new coded system is based on solely on the unconscious need to be validated.

"My opinion holds more weight if I'm a GOLD contributor."
"I'm a bronze and you're a novice, therefore I win the argument."
"I've been a member since before they invented dirt, ergo I am an authority on all topics ATS ."

Fallacies.

Logic and wisdom speaks for itself. If it is evident and consistent in your comments, the stars and flags will come. You will not need a color to prop up your legitimacy, nor will a color bring it down.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by GuyverUnit I]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
It may offend some, but I doubt it.

If it does it could be replaced with something related to SO maybe?

'Overlord in Training'?

"Overlord" does seem less offensive, but the "lord" part can still be used as an excuse.

I was thinking something with "deity" in it, but I can't think of a clever catchphrase. Does "deity" offend any religious groups?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Easy fix with an anagram: "Doglike Wisdom"

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Diety of Discussion?

That's my best alliteration for the day.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GuyverUnit I

No one has said that gold-cosmic-bronze what ever is true indication to quality.. just like the bars..

It just highlights the activity you put into the site. Some people are thread starters, some people are thread maintainers.. I think with the applause system added, it shows a fair representation of activity and quality.

I for one will never look down at a post because of a title? Just like I never judged anyone by the size of their bar.. it's already been proven some of the greatest minds on ATS are under "Novice".

Don't put to much stock into labels.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by GuyverUnit I

I'm not saying the user with the higher status will degrade the user with the lower status, per se; I'm saying the newer user may decide to take the side of the user with the higher status. Over time, the user with the higher status will view it as just another thread, and the newer user will learn and understand why the rankings don't matter, but what about the lower ranked user? It can scare them away.

I'm only speaking hypothetically, of course, Until some time has passed, nobody can make a solid judgment on whether this system will turn out for the better or worse.

reply to post by schrodingers dog

Cats are far superior to dogs.

reply to post by fooffstarr

That's not bad. I don't think anybody can be religiously offended by that title.

[edit on 5/15/2009 by SonicInfinity]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity AND reply to post by fooffstarr

Perhaps "SO's First Mate" ?

Maybe the name spelled out, but maybe too long,

"Skeptic Overlord's First Mate" ?

OR:

"Omniscient Understanding" ????

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unlimitedpossibilities
"Omniscient Understanding" ????

Ooh, I like that one. "Omniscient Understanding" has exactly 23 letters.

Make of that what you will.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

If a newbie comes in and sides only with the higher labeled member than they really need to be at ATS as they need an education on how to think for themselves.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join