It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Phase 6 check list*

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by cornblossom

I am curious; do you ever dehydrate in the oven?, and if so, does it work just as well? I have read that all you do is put the veggies in a single layer on a baking tray, than slow roast them in a 250 degree oven until "dry".

I think I'm going to try it...how long does the dried veg/fruit last?

Thanks!
FMF

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is

Isopropyl alcohol

If your hand sanitizer don't have it replace it with one that does. this is one of the few types that actually kills a wide range of bacteria and virus's.

Is also good to have a small spray bottle and at least 2 gallons of sterile water to mix with it ;2 parts alcohol to 1 part water; use in case you run out of disinfectant etc Frankly it works very well! My mom always cleaned the equipment of her patients with it. Not one of them got sick while she was the one taking care of them either

You would also want to have some sterile water in case you need to clean and dress a bad wound. (can you say homenbound kids jumping off the beds?) Is a lot better for the patient than water cleaned with bleach, much less painful and least likely to cause an inflamation.

Another one is a menthol rub which helps with everything from congestion to headaches. Can also be used for muscle soreness etc. Or frankly putting under your nose when things really stink

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by fullmoonfairy

I am curious; do you ever dehydrate in the oven?, and if so, does it work just as well? I have read that all you do is put the veggies in a single layer on a baking tray, than slow roast them in a 250 degree oven until "dry".

Thanks!
FMF

you should idealy go for a lower temp setting at around 150-200 max. (I use the warm setting on my oven at about 125) The heat is ment to "slowly" dehydrate the food while not "burning" off to much of the nutrient value.
It can take anywhere from 3 hours and up depending on the type of food, thickness of the slices etc. Just watch it closely about every 30 minutes after the first 2 hours. I store mine in vacum packed bags with a handful of rice or seal them in a mason jar with the same.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

Very good, quick information! Thanks a bunch!

I also agree with you that having rubbing alchohol around would be better for what you described. Last week I found it on sale, along with peroxide, at Walgreen's. It was 2/$1.00! So I got more to have just in case.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by fullmoonfairy

Thanks!
FMF

I've never dehydrated in the oven so all I can do is point you to website which will give you more information about how to dehydrate. It says on that website if you're going to dehydrate using the oven, your temperature should be 200 degrees.

How long the dehydrated food will last is going to depend a lot on the temperature of the place where you're storing the food, as well as if you store the food in a place where the temperature fluctuates. It will also depend on if you're using airtight containers. Moisture will also affect the shelf life. You can learn more about dehydrated food shelf life if you click here.

Rival Seal-A-Meal is an way to store your dehydrated food, as are Mason jars. I love Mason jars but they do occupy a lot space. My mom dried a bunch of oregano that we grew in our garden when I was a kid. She's still using that dried oregano that she's had stored in her Mason jars for over 25 years now!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Awesome to hear! Thanks for the info!

I was thinking about storing them in the freezer maybe? Or, I have been looking at the vacumm sealers too. I haven't decided yet, or started on anything. But all advice is taken and appreciated,

Have a peaceful evening,
FMF

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Yes I really have all this stuff below yet somehow I still do not feel ready!
Hi powered rifle, a 45 and a 38 special to protect the below items.Lots of ammo. Fire extinguishers.
250 gals. of water protected with hydrogen peroxide to keep it fresh, a 90 day supply of freeze dried and other civilian type MRE's or meals ready to eat, just add water. A camp stove and 20 cans of fuel.
I put a 2000 watt inverter in the trunk of my car and have battery cable to hook it up when I need to operate something electrical. This is much cheaper than a generator and know one knows you have it. ( an inverter converts your cars battery from 12 volts to 110-120. it is important to buy one high in watts, 1500 ok 2000 better. A wheat grinder that can be powered by my car inverter. $100.00 dollars worth of quarters that I can use to put into vending machine in case the power is out, I can hook up my inverter from my car to the vending machine and drop some quarters in to get the food out, (You cannot break into some machine) and 200 lbs of hard winter wheat for grinding up to make bread. A bread maker that can be powered by my car inverter.A full blown first aid kit with Doc. operation kit and sutures.
canned food like beans, spam, vienna sausages, poor boy sandwich meat in a can, etc. etc. 2 -25 ld bags of beans, 2 25 lb bags of rice, canned potato flakes for canned powered milk, mashed potatoes, Larrea Tridentata herb to fight off any virus. extra medical and first aid supplies, vitamins,extra sweaters and blanket in case this thing coming happens in the winter.
A short wave radio/transmitter, a NOA weather radio for when all other communication is not working. I bought a wii to entertain the family with. Games I can play on my computer. also store movies and educational dvds if you have young ones to entertain.Solar cells to power my computer. and recharge other batteries for my LED flash lights. Forget planting a garden. buy freeze dried food if you can still find it. It is easy to store, transport and prepare. 5 gal gas cans for buying extra gas to store. A 5 gal bucket with a round foam pipe cover to put on the edge for a toilet seat. some 13 gal. plastic garbage bags to put on the rim of the home made toilet and some bleach to poor in to keep it from smelling bad. a shovel to bury said toilet waste.buy lots of toilet paper if you have fire place which I do, store fire wood..........let's see I know there is something I forgot to mention that I have......oh well I'll remember it later.. I'm not kidding I really have all this stuff yet somehow I do not feel totally prepared for what is coming..................good luck hope this helps.........KMG

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by fullmoonfairy

Sorry I forgot about this thread!! lol

My daughter is anaphylaxic ... peanuts and certain dog saliva [not our dog thank goodness mini schnauzer] and dust....

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Bought in another 40 litres of water and PET FOOD.... thank you to ? who reminded me..... I feel ok... safe.. kinda scared about the doubters though....
They deny anything is happenng... but they'll be at my door if it does happen.....

*sigh*

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
GSE grapefruit seed extract to purify water in case people decide not to go to work and purify it for you (also effective for 800 fungal, viral, parasitical and bacterial diseases).
See Nutriteam.com

comfort food - y2k movement mentioned that!

plenty of fruit juice (a relative heard a lecture about a man who lived on fruit and fruit
juice only for 20 years)

nuts (BTW acorns are a very useful item found near oak trees - have a plethora of uses,e.g., can be made into flour); hemp and other seeds

gardening seeds

Carla Emory's book Encyclopedia of Country Living - useful for urban dwellers too

dried fruit and veggies, like green beans, onions, garlic, tomatoes: reconstitute fruit by soaking in water and warming up a bit for a great breakfast or dessert treat.

a gal. + of olive oil and soy sauce

Large bags of hard red wheat that can be used to grind for flour or making wheat grass juice; other grains like barley, oats, buckwheat, quinoa, rice

kim chee and sauerkraut and pickled veggies in general - kim chee was supposed to ward of SARS and a little every day is good for intestinal flora

Maxicrop seaweed powder - 1/4 t. per gal. of water improves frost, drought, pest and insect resistance in plants (GSE mentioned earlier has been used in agriculture for
apx. 30 years also)

buckets with lids in case sewage system workers afraid to go to work

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join