It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can die for your country, but you can't legally drink?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I am not against you but I have a few reasons for the other people.

1.The army needs lots of people
2.Alcohol is dangerous to your health.
3.Smoking is not dangerous though.

i know it dosn't make much sense does it?

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
This subject has been beaten to death over and over and over.

Heres some related discussion:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not exact results but I do remember discussing this topic several times over the last 3 months.

I would have produced exact results but the Boolean search is really fd up.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
People seem to forget Americans hate authority. If you want Americans to do something with zeal in mass numbers, make it illegal.

When I joined the army at 17, I couldnt buy beer, but that didnt stop my elder commerades from obliging me by picking it up, when I was stateside. After my training, when I got to Germany, the legal drinking age there is "can u reach the bar". So, at the age of 18/19, i was drinking heavily. #, to put up with the stupid tired bull# and the Clinton era army, you had to drink to keep your sanity. In germany, so happy I was sent there, I drank all i liked. As a matter of fact, thats what i spent 60% of my time doing. (even on duty, in Germany, it was common for alot of us to drink beer at lunch, and drink a few shots for "snacks").

Stateside, its a simple matter of asking your older friends to go buy beer for you.

When the NEO con religious right forced the national drinking age up to 21, they opened up a can of worms. before that, every state had thier own drinking age. In some states, you can still drink at a bar if you are accompanied by an adult. Theres ways around it.

Heres a little fact:in the military, most DUI accidents occur with people above the legal drinking age. This is because many soldiers younger dont have cars. I never had one, alot of my buddies didnt have one either. We usually got around in taxis and by train. Only after being in for a few years did we have the money to buy cars and pay for insurance.

Drinking itself is an act of irresponsibility, if you drink, rtegardless of your age, its irresponsible. This isnt necessarily a bad thing, but when you consider alcohol is a nerve toxin and blood poison, the fact you drink to make your brain feel better is, well..........irresponsible to ones health.

And since we all die someday anyway, i ask: whats the #ing problem with drinking? I think the drinking age should be lowered to whenever u start cutting your first teeth.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by PolskieWojsko
If you can be drafted by a bunch of old gangly fogies to be forced to fight in a war, why can't you have a few drinks? You obviously are considered an adult since you are being sent to war, but why don't you have the right to consume alcohol?

Are people in the age bracket of 18-21 second class citizens?

Maybe your gouvernment gets more out of having a strong, health army than it does supplying the prime target on draft day with beers.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I know 21 year olds that arnt responsible enough to drink, you can forget about 18 year olds. But still, Im a college student. If you really wanna drink that bad, get friends that are 21 to buy. That way you get it free and without risk!

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
First, Alcohol is a solvent. SOLVENT! It's not nearly as bad as drinking terpentines, but it still has the same effect... just alot slower.

So... yeah, I drink. Yeah, i definitly agree it's bull# that you can get forced to be a lamb for your country but you can't legally drink. Sure, it's state governed drinking ages, but it's a catch-22... Wyoming was the last to raise it's drinking age, the first to lower it, the last to raise it again, the last to drop the speed limit to 65, and the first to raise our speed limits back to 75. I dig that my native state is reluctant to go along with BS laws... but it sucks bad because we were "forced" into it. Now THAT is crap. The government holds a knife to the throat of any state not willing to play ball, but everything is still "technically" under control of the state's gov.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The drinking age should be 18 with military or college ID and 21 otherwise. 18+ yo high school students shouldnt have easy access to alcohol for obvious reasons.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
The drinking age should be 18 with military or college ID and 21 otherwise. 18+ yo high school students shouldnt have easy access to alcohol for obvious reasons.

It is, read my previous post. Have military ID, will drink. Well, not the college ID, but if you're fighting for your country, and willing to lay down your life for it, it is assumed you're mature enough to drink after boot camp.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zuzubar

I'm not against you either, Zuzubar but I have to disagree with what you've said.

1. The army needs lots of people ? Why ? If we weren't out trying to make the world over in our own image we wouldn't need so much protection. In other words we need to but the # out of other countries business. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

But failing that, then the army needs to start trying to recruit harder. That is offer more to entice people to join. In other words, take from the store of volunteers and forget about this draft BS. But still...what does the army needing more people have to do with the fact that this guy can't go out and legally get a drink, but he can certainly die for it ?

2. Alcohol CAN be dangerous to an alcoholics life, but for the rest of us, it's been proven to be even beneficial in moderate amounts.

3. This one I have to laugh at. Everyone, even smokers themselves know smoking is dangerous to your health. Do you think it could honestly be healthy to inhale warm air laced with more then 4000 chemicals besides nicotine, Zuzubar ? If you dont' believe me, just say the word and I'll provide some proof for you. It is also well known that nicotine is more addictive then Heroin.

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by KayEm]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by KayEm

Well if you notice I was talking about what the OTHERS thought about it. the things I said were not my thoughts it was what the people thought with a sarcastic joke added to the end. I meant the people who made alcohol consumption at the age of 21.

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by KayEm]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Well if you notice I was talking about what the OTHERS thought about it. the things I said were not my thoughts it was what the people thought with a sarcastic joke added to the end. I meant the people who made alcohol consumption at the age of 21.

Oops...gotcha.

But my opinions still stand regardless.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join