It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What should I do??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Ok, heres the thing. Today my mom was cleaning out this ivy thing we have growing up our house, and she knocked down a nest unknowingly, resulting in the death of two baby birds. The nest was sort of half-dangling with one baby bird left in it. I searched around for abandoned nests, so maybe I could put a new nest in, and put the baby bird in that one. But I didnt find any.

The only nest I found had eggs in it. I really didnt know what to do for the poor thing, so I put it in the nest with the eggs, hoping the mother would think one of her eggs hatched and would adopt it, (even though its a different breed and already has a little bit of feathers).

I dont know if the mom bird will adopt it. Im also afraid she'll abandon the eggs now. Do you think she'll adopt it???

If she doesnt adopt it and abandons the eggs, ill have to raise the eggs and the bird. How do I feed baby birds, or hatch an egg??? Im going to have to chop up worms or something.

I know it sounds stupid, but I really like animals, and it makes me really sad that my mom broke up a little bird family!!! I feel obligated to take care of it!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Just get a cardboard box and put a 40watt globe in it or something, should be enough to keep them warm (depends on your climate I guess). You should be able to get chick-feed or something (as in for baby chickens) from a pet food shop.

Actually just asking them at the pet food shop is probably a safer course, of course they will try to sell you all sorts of random crap. But at least you'll get the gist of what the birds need.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
oooh...depends on the bird, but most bird mothers will reject any new chick or even their own eggs if us humans touch or mess with the nest and eggs. Keep an eye on it, she might throw the other chick out. You will probably have to try to raise the chick if she does, you feed them with a dropper, i think there is stuff that they sell in the pet stores...about hatching the eggs?? I don't know...can't help you there.. good luck though..

i'm birdsitting right now for my cousin, and it is a little bit of a pain...and the little buggers peck at you for no reason.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
...or even their own eggs if us humans touch or mess with the nest and eggs.

This is not true. A mother bird will take care of her young regardless of whether or not a human has touched it. If you decide to adopt the bird (as I have done in the past) just get some cat food from the supermarket and mix it with water, stick it in a dispenser thing like you use to bake cakes and squeeze it down the birds throat. I have raised many birds I've accidentally #ed with in the past this way. A little cat food and water does the body good. It's relatively easy to raise a bird and it will fly on its own. You'll even have a bird frequenting your garden often after you have nursed it to adulthood. Don't worry about it, this stuff happens all the time.

*edit: Sorry if this doesn't make much sense. I'm wasted.

[Edited on 4-28-2004 by insite]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
The mother will most likley reject it. Watch the nest and if she does take the birds. I love animals and it sucks when things like this happen. But im saying that your mom did it on purpose.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I would let nature takes its course, and be in awe whatever the result.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

When you get back? Glad to see it!

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

wow, here's an old name I wasn't expecting to see.

Welcome back !

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join