It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Companies Are Placing the Onus for Safety on Consumers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Food Companies Are Placing the Onus for Safety on Consumers

www.nytimes.com

Increasingly, the corporations that supply Americans with processed foods are unable to guarantee the safety of their ingredients. In this case, ConAgra could not pinpoint which of the more than 25 ingredients in its pies was carrying salmonella. Other companies do not even know who is supplying their ingredients, let alone if those suppliers are screening the items for microbes and other potential dangers, interviews and documents show.

Yet the supply chain for ingredients in processed foods — from flavorings to flour to fruits and vegetables — is becoming more complex and global as th
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Buyer beware! Is this going to be the new regulation guidelines for our foods. Its getting very frightening when the authorities are admitting they've lost control of the process.

We made these companies with our dollars, its really time to start to buy local and grow as much of our food ourselves as we can. I find this really frightening.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Mystiq...excellent post.

I find it amazing that we can legally be supplied with toxins as substainence.....
Yes..read the label....grow your own....be alert and aware.
And talk to as many people as you can about this!!
Thanks..

Peace..

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Food has been scary for awhile, I have been very careful about what I eat after I found out about aspartame and msg. This just solidifies it for me, when they can't even account for the ingredients they put in the food its time to find something else to eat. With some of the artificial flavors and additives in processed food I'm not even sure I would call it food anymore.

On the plus side local food tastes better on a whole different level than most people are used too
. After tasting some I would never go back and it is healthier too. I'm lucky to have a big space for a garden and am near a large CSA. People in big cities would probably have a hard time finding good food, unless they can afford to pay a lot for it.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
From the article above,

Some food safety experts say they do not think the solution should rest with the consumer. Dr. Michael T. Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, said companies like ConAgra were asking too much. “I do not believe that it is fair to put this responsibility on the back of the consumer, when there is substantial confusion about what it means to prepare that product,” Dr. Osterholm said....

“There is talk of having passports for ingredients,” said Jamie Rice, the marketing director of RTS Resource, a research firm based in England. “At each stage they are signed off on for quality and safety. That would help companies, if there is a scare, in tracing back.”

Its obvious that adequate money for food safety should have been a priority for any administration, but what worries me is that things have been allowed to slip so far into disarray, deliberately I believe, that corporations may shift responsibility for their negligence onto the public as: consumer beware policies. As an example, also quoted in the article was the peanut butter company from Georgia. In that case, part of their problem lay in the companies refusal to fix their roof and allowed contaminates to drip into the food preparation area.
www.ajc.com...

But I see this as part of a much larger plan. The plan is to take total control of our food and nutrients under the codex alimentarius. This push is on, to alert consumers to a PROBLEM THEY created, and enjoyed immense profits from, to herd us into THEIR SOLUTION.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The home site for the Codex Alimentarius www.codexalimentarius.net...

The Codex Alimentarius Commission was created in 1963 by FAO and WHO to develop food standards, guidelines and related texts such as codes of practice under the Joint FAO/WHO Food Standards Programme. The main purposes of this Programme are protecting health of the consumers and ensuring fair trade practices in the food trade, and promoting coordination of all food standards work undertaken by international governmental and non-governmental organizations.

It is very possible that this lax and casual treatment of safety in our food production has been a deliberate setting of the stage for the Codex Alimentarius to emerge victorious as our savior, as complete control over our health and a cap on all the nutrients we are allowed to receive is handed over to the ruling class.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I believe this article from a mainstream source is one of many designed to paint the problem so that the solution may be implemented.

Max Igan HR875 & Codex 03/19/09 1/5

His solution in the video is brilliant:

They're saying your organic crops may contaminate (their) genetically engineered crops.
You need to stand up and do something about this bill. And you need to completely ignore this legistlation if its passed. You need to go out of your way to start growing organic crops. Everybody needs to boycott this bill. Understand that isnt law, its a statute, its legistlation. You don't have to go along with it...You can stand up and make noise about it....

They are saying they only want organic food to be served at the White House, they only want organic food to be served at the palace.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq

The Codex Alimentarius Commission was created in 1963 by FAO and WHO to develop food standards, guidelines and related texts such as codes of practice under the Joint FAO/WHO Food Standards Programme. The main purposes of this Programme are protecting health of the consumers and ensuring fair trade practices in the food trade, and promoting coordination of all food standards work undertaken by international governmental and non-governmental organizations.

It is very possible that this lax and casual treatment of safety in our food production has been a deliberate setting of the stage for the Codex Alimentarius to emerge victorious as our savior, as complete control over our health and a cap on all the nutrients we are allowed to receive is handed over to the ruling class.

mystiq,

I think you are very close to the truth. Many nations are being victimized by this particular industry. And the Codex is THEIR baby.

Big Agro, Big Pharma, Big Chemical....

If the industry can successfully shirk liability for their 'products' then I suppose the silver lining would be we can do away with the expense of funding agencies such as the FDA and USDA.... after all, they serve no real purpose. Or we could change their names to something more consistent with their actual commercial purpose....

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
What I really love about Max Igan's videos on the codex above, is instead of merely inciting fear, and stating the obvious, he goes one step further. He tells us how to resist, suggest what to do. I've been saying this on a few posts. The first step is to let your fingers do the walking in emails, in phone calls, and ensure that every single elected official understands that you, their collective employer, has just said NO! The next step is to walk with your feet. And organize massive demonstrations. Also about the internet. Don't ever give this away, don't listen to their worn out excuses. They take 30-50 dollars per person for the connections, depending on the speed but put no profit into repairing lines. The reality is they have equipments and servers not even being used, as back up. Its not clogged up, overburdened, its merely NLP and a mesmer's illusionist tricks. SAY NO!

So these are the first steps. The second is to continue on, doing what is needed and ignoring their legistation. Saying no in actions. But this step is tricky, because I'm not willing to subject anyone to arrest or persecution. So we really need to make round table signature agreements amongst ourselves to PROTECT EACH OTHER. This means, if they come to hassle or haul off our neighbors, we stand up by the thousands or millions in such a large unmanagable group that they simply go away, in courts even, saying:
WE ALL CONFESS TO THE SAME CRIME AND WE WILL NOT STOP! Along with performing citizens arrests in large numbers.

Here are some quotes from the second video in this series from the youtube link above. www.youtube.com...

(Concerning the Food banks like in say Iceland

They're saying this is all in case theres a disaster, that we want to keep the seeds safe. Well, no they're not. They're locking them away so people can't get to them and then they're contaminating the world's food market.

..(they will sue you when their seeds contaminate and take over your crop, when...).cross pollenation has come and contaminated your organic farm. What you want to do when this situation happens is say "No. I'm not going to pay any fine for growing your crops. What I'm going to do is sue you for contaminating my organic crop. And I can prove to you I didn't grow your genetically modified crop by choice because I have an IQ thats over single digits. I'm not stupid enough to grow any of your completely ridiculous patented genically modified frankenstein food because i want to be able to grow seeds next year. I'm not stupid enough to want and go and buy seeds from you all the time.

.. They do try and fill you with fear, they do say you need to get guns, you need to go on marches, you need to stock up, you need to become self sufficient and all these things are true, and they're all good ideas, but they all should be done just as a matter of course, without the fear. Just done because its wise to do it because chance favors the prepared. You just need to stand up and you need to start doing the right thing. Thats the whole thing folks, they can only get away with this if you don't do the right thing....standing up for your rights. Its about standing up for the rights of others....Forget their stupid laws and STAND UP FOR YOUR CHILDREN FOLKS BECAUSE ULTIMATELY YOU'RE ALL THEY HAVE.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by mystiq]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
From part 3, there are some very good quotes as well. I'm committed to continuing with these videos, because the entire food incidence that are being reported now to scare us, and alert us, and influence us, are being done to manipulate our response into accepting their absolute control of our food with the codex. This has been a very long plan implemented since WW2 by, who would guess, the Nazis.

www.youtube.com...
(part 3/5)

We, the human race, you and I, we are the custodians of the world and we're simply not doing our job. We need to start doing our job folks.

If a law in enacted that does not serve the best interests of the people and the planet then its void, its not a law (ITS A CRIME) and its not entitled to our obedience. Not only that but the corrupt, scum-bag politician who enacted such legislation, all of them, are guilty of crimes against humanity, crimes against us all, and such people need to be held accountable. And the legislation they enact, they're not laws anyway, and you need to DISREGARD THEM...

This is the only way its going to happen folks is if you stand up and make some noise and turn off your televisions....Don't wait for somebody else to make some noise so you can follow them. Put away the fear and just do it. Just say NO, we will not do this anymore.

Where did Codex come from...the whole idea of this food control is the brainchild of a man called Fritz ter Meer...(was the president of a corporation,as a chemist that produced zyklon B used in the gas chambers, in WW2, they produced...munitions, chemicals, all kinds of stuff.. and they also produced pharmaceuticals. In fact, thats what they mainly did. Fritz ter Meer...was actually convicted at the Nuremburg Trials in WW2 for crimes against humanity and WHILE HE WAS IN JAIL HE DREAMT UP THE IDEA OF FOOD CONTROL. When he got out of jail, he went to the UN and he told them all about this plan that he had developed and the UN loved it so they created a trade union commisson they called the Codex Alimentarius Commission.

And here we have:

en.wikipedia.org...
Fritz ter Meer ( July 4 1884 – October 27 1967 ) was a German chemist.

He was the son of Edmund ter Meer the founder of a chemical company later becoming part of Bayer. Fritz ter Meer also worked for Bayer and later IG Farben. He was involved in the planing satellite camp of KZ Auschwitz Monowitz concentration camp. He was sentenced to seven years prison by the Nuremberg Trials in 1948. After he was released in 1951 he became supervisory board chairman (Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender) of the Bayer AG. He retired in 1961. In 1962, he became one of the architects of Codex Alimentarius.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by miraclerock
Food has been scary for awhile, I have been very careful about what I eat after I found out about aspartame and msg. This just solidifies it for me, when they can't even account for the ingredients they put in the food its time to find something else to eat. With some of the artificial flavors and additives in processed food I'm not even sure I would call it food anymore.

On the plus side local food tastes better on a whole different level than most people are used too
. After tasting some I would never go back and it is healthier too. I'm lucky to have a big space for a garden and am near a large CSA. People in big cities would probably have a hard time finding good food, unless they can afford to pay a lot for it.

I agree, that the normal response for consumers is to be aware of just how unsafe their foods are. And this should push larger numbers into thinking locally, going green, growing their own, supporting local organic producers, along with avoiding chemicals and addititive.

But recently, there has been quite a few food scares that all have fueled the type of article appearing in a major outlet. We're going to see more suggestions for government control of the food, (which in terms of inspectors and ways to hold businesses accountable should be done) but the wording is to have more control over food at each stage, and this leads into, soon, the solution being presented to us, the Codex legistlation, which by its very nature destroys local and organic foods. It may even go so far as to prohibit your own garden containing heritage seeds.

We have to really careful to monitor the news that will be released and read between the lines. And start to take the steps we need to ensure we the people, win this ultimate nwo battle.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

S&F.

...and it's going to get much, much worse.

You're right. Grow your own and buy locally. And avoid processed foods.

Good luck all.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This site has some highly informative information on food -
buying non GMO and the like -

GMO shoppers guide
www.geaction.org...
articles.mercola.com...

Getting locally grown food
articles.mercola.com...

You may be surprised to learn that you have a 75 percent chance of picking a food with genetically modified (GM) ingredients when you’re at the supermarket. This is because at least seven out of every 10 items have been genetically modified. In fact, the United States leads the world in GM crop acreage with 123 million acres in all (that’s close to one-third of the agricultural land in the United States planted with gene-altered crops). And the blight of genetically engineered crops across the globe continues to grow. Worldwide, there are at least 222 million acres planted with GM crops, and the number keeps rising. Although the major food giants are carrying on with their claim that GM foods are no different from conventionally grown varieties, the research begs to differ. Here is just a sampling of the unsavory findings associated with GM foods:
* GM peas caused lung damage in mice
* GM potatoes may cause cancer in rats
* Bacteria in your gut can take up DNA from GM food
* They may be spurring the creation of weed-killer-resistant
superweeds

articles.mercola.com...

It's time - to take control over our lives -
No one is going to do it for us -
and our lives really do depend on it.
Grow your own food.

Again - remember that it is the pharmaceuticals that dictate to the WHO.
They are at the top of our health pyramid.
SO it is their pockets that are initially looking to get lined.
What lines their pockets.... ?
Sick people.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Its like we're all holding our breaths and waiting, waiting for what? For our lungs to cave in, for the world to be handed uncontested over to the neonazis running the show? Are we waiting for someone else to start something so we can join in? I know I'm guilty of that too! We are literally so busy with jobs, family, some even with trying to manage their extreme poverty and lacks, that this is almost impossible. But the letters aren't. The organization part, yes that takes some publicity. So our questions need to be, what we can do, not what someone else can do, and we should start to think of this now.

First, one last part from part 2, from the link above:

The codex

...its not exactly law, its just a trade commission...its not a government body, its a UN trade commission and trade is all about profits, so we need to completely disregard anything to do with codex alimentarius. So we need to hold any politician who supports it accountable for their actions and hopefully charge them with crimes against humanity because they're just BIO TERRORISTS arent they!

www.youtube.com...

How do we fight it?...

well the way we fight it folks, is by non-compliance, by simply not going along with it. You need to stand up and make some noise and begin to see a connection to each other....It's so important that you all start to stand by each other, and realize your connection to each other. Understand that there is no one who is any better than anybody else, no one who is any less or more important, no matter who you are, or where you're from...You know when you should stand up, but many people are just too scared to do it.

(when you see something perpetrated against another) then you really clearly have to see its also being perpetrated against you. This is true on any level, even on an international level, because the human race, the entire human experience, is a single consciousness. We are, quite literally, each other.

Turn off your television folks, turn off your television, and encourage others to do the same because ultimately as a society that is one of the biggest problems we are facing in all of this, is television and the mass media. ...The truth is due to television and the propaganda thats put forth by coporate media modern humans have a very great difficulty differentiating fact from fiction. Many folks don't even know what reality is anymore. Well reality is that which is shown (sown?) in creation.

Get hold of some heritage seeds and start growing your own food....Theres a war going on...people will win in the end...peaceful noncompliance is the key

Wake up to your power folks, wake up to your power. Don't let them get away with what they're doing beause this is it....codex alimentarius, this is their big trump card. This is the big end game they had planned for so long. So you need to get out and you need to wake people up. You need to stand up and make some noise and you need to DO IT NOW.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
So I've laid out what this news article is telling me, when I read between the lines, its saying to me that there is very rigid controls coming down the line. Problem, reaction, solution. While regulations and safety/inspection measures need to insure that food production plants are not bending or breaking rules to increase profit, I predict there will be a push away from consumer beware shortly, as this doesn't fit into to Big Brother's plan to think for you.

What we can do, and many actually can't because they simply lack the funds and space to stock up and mail order heritage seeds, and the credit!! Is to create our own food and gardens, to buy heritage seeds, to boycott the genetically manipulated food items Monsanto promotes. We can boycott Monsanto altogether. But we also have to step up the to the plate and say no, make noise, band up together. If we could think local seed banks, and survival for each town or region and remember to notice those who are not able to do this. We should actually hand questionaires and bring the vulnerable ones into the net. Now I'm really feeling challenged. Somehow this is the kind of local work I'd like to get going on. How many of us feel like this, we want to get involved but really wish someone else would step up to the plate for organizing it?

If we think we might have to do this? Does anyone have ideas for where to begin?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I think this goes to show that federal agencies have a penchant for biting off more than they can chew. And as a result, they do a pisspoor job of protecting the interests of the consumers. Whether this is the result of pure ineptitude or of an intentionally nefarious agenda is debatable, I suppose.

It just goes to show that safety regulations need to be decided at the local level, according to the concerns of the people in the immediate area. How to accomplish this, I do not know. All I can think of is that we need to use the political processes which are available to us. The problem is that corporations and federal agencies seem to have become very effective in subverting grassroots attempts to put the power back in the hands of the people. I'm really not sure how they can be stopped.

[edit on 5/18/2009 by Lightmare]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Buyer beware! Is this going to be the new regulation guidelines for our foods. Its getting very frightening when the authorities are admitting they've lost control of the process.

We made these companies with our dollars, its really time to start to buy local and grow as much of our food ourselves as we can. I find this really frightening.

i suspect that someone's forgetting about the FDA and the local/fed food safety Inspectors which can & do show up unannounced.

the outsourcing of food ingredients, even having foreign processors providing the contents of edibles is one giant cause for circumventing the FDA

on the other hand, i bet there's food maker representatives & promotors that are fanning the scare stories so that the public will opt to buy 'Organic' or even 'Kosher' prepared edibles..
as those items are under strict supervision in handling & preparing.

'there's 8 million conspiracy stories out there in the naked city,
this is but one of them...'

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

mystiq,

. And the Codex is THEIR baby.

Big Agro, Big Pharma, Big Chemical....

Now your getting into the 4th Reich area...

the 3rd Reich was focused on armed might & in their waning days
set about to develop a 4th Reich whose foundation was economic
and based in multi-nationals\ industrialists (including pharma/food/oil/chemical/finance...) and would fufill the vision of reigning for 1,000 years.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

Con Agra can not guarantee what goes on their trash processed foods because they are big on GMO, in other words most of their foods items if not all of it are made with genetically modified organisms.

Taken into consideration the testing done independently on many of this altered foods and the results that are far from healthy or beneficial to the human consumption they can not guarantee that they are not harmful or dangerous to some people.

What a joke to us the consumers, because is not law that protect us from them.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Excellent analysis.

I more than agree. The chain of "events" reeks of corporate strategy.

- sofi

How Could an Event in 1997 Cause a Pandemic in 2009? What Happened?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join