It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lots of Radio Interference

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Another thing I've noticed today ...

I listen to the radio every day on my way to work (or whenever I'm in my car). I jump on and off various stations, but mainly stay on 106.7 and 102.7 -- depending on which one has the good song at the moment.

Well today, on my way to work, both stations were extremely staticy, and sometimes I'd lose them completely for a while. I drive all the way south from the LA county line to nearly San Diego... even on the way back it was nasty.

Has anyone had this experience today or ever? If so, what could be causing it? Strange weather conditions, atmospheric conditions, etc?

I'm curious to know.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Yes i have. Especially in a thunder storm. If you turn on the AM radio every stroke of lightning within in range will pick up some sort of interference, the closer and more charged strikes are louder.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
What you experienced was probaly two or more radio stations with a close frequency interfearing with another.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
What you experienced was probaly two or more radio stations with a close frequency interfearing with another.

Question though: Why does this not happen every day, then? Normally it's fine and crystal clear...

Oh, and to add: Today was a clear day... hot as hell (for anyone who lives in the LA area), but clear.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
On a clear day distant signals can travel further and interfere with local signals.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
do the transmit from the same place? perhaps the transmitter was running on a backup generator, causing both of them to not be at full power, and then not having a full strength signal.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
do the transmit from the same place? perhaps the transmitter was running on a backup generator, causing both of them to not be at full power, and then not having a full strength signal.

Nope. They're in two different locations.

I don't know where exactly ... I also don't know about the backup power part; however, two on backup at the same time seems unlikely.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   
This could easily be the result of a powerful source of electromagnetic interference. If the static was overbearing, as in you couldn't even barely hear the station's programming, then the culprit was definitely some kind of powerful generator of energy.

On the other hand, it could be your own antennae. Confirm this by seeing if the static is repeated on another radio.

oh yeah, and what is this "o.O and 0.o" i have been seeing more and more?

[Edited on 4/28/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlnilamOmega
This could easily be the result of a powerful source of electromagnetic interference. If the static was overbearing, as in you couldn't even barely hear the station's programming, then the culprit was definitely some kind of powerful generator of energy.

On the other hand, it could be your own antennae. Confirm this by seeing if the static is repeated on another radio.

oh yeah, and what is this "o.O and 0.o" i have been seeing more and more?

[Edited on 4/28/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

It was happening on other stations too... but my antenna's fine.

The O.o` thing is just a joke I got from a friend of mine. It's supposed to be like a boggly-eyed smilie... sort of like

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The other day my favorite radio station suddenly turned to nothing but static, and stayed that way for at least 20 minutes. I don't know exactly how long it was out because when I reached my destination I quit listening for the station to come back on.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawk
I don't know where exactly ... I also don't know about the backup power part; however, two on backup at the same time seems unlikely.

never know, stranger things have happened.

and i agree with AlnilamOmega, it could have just been your antenna. have you experienced any static since then?

hell, try calling the radio stations and just asking them if they know of anything that went wrong!

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
How close was the radio station? Sometimes it doesn't matter if it's not storming or raining where you are, but if it's raining at the radio station or anywhere near it then it'll be static-y. It could also have been the radio station, especially if they're AM stations.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Maybe it was a solar flare

new topics

top topics

join