It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RFID chips come to Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   

"The radio frequency identity (RFID) tag that will be embedded into the card can be read not only by authorized readers, but just as easily by unauthorized readers," Ann Cavoukian said in a statement accompanying the release of her 2008 annual report Wednesday.

Looks like Ontario, Canada is implementing the RFID chips into their enhanced drivers' licenses as of June 1.

I remember reading a small article about this in a local news paper some time ago. The politicians and the Privacy Commisioner seemed to be still arguing about the merit and privacy concerns of these chips.

I had no idea that they would actually implement it, and so soon.

Source:

Enhanced license with RFID chip

[edit on 15-5-2009 by kommunist]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
wow... wow...Im canadian and I live 20 minutes away from the border and this is insane.

they say "Changing to an enhanced driver's licence is completely voluntary." but...if you go to get your license for the first time, what...are they going to give you an option? I doubt it.

[color=lightgreen]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if it IS completely voluntary, I guess its not that bad. And if the information in the chip is basically just a link to your citizenship and not any other information not found in a passport - is it THAT bad?

[color=lightgreen]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing I dont like is the fact that they will beable to look up where and when you have crossed the border.

Can an RFID chip be tracked like a GPS unit?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by epitaph.one

The things is if it is voluntary now, how long will it be until it is involuntary? First, you have to get a chip to get a drivers license, then you have to get a chip to get a bank card...I think you can see where this is going.

I'm not 100% sure how the tech works and how it's tracked, here's a wikipedia link on it if you want to read more.

RFID

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I wrote a rather large response just now and I deleted it because I had a thought.

We are all worried about an RFID chip because in the end, all it would take is for "them" to turn off the chip and we lose our lives (not literally of course). But what is there to stop them from doing that right now?

If "they" wanted to take everything away from us - why couldnt they with current technology?
RFID seems scary, but it seems ...efficient?

[edit on 15-5-2009 by epitaph.one]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by epitaph.one

That's a good question, and one that I honestly don't know the answer to. However, being a dual-citizen Canadian living in the United States, I personally find it far more invasive the fact that I am required to show both of my passports every single time I cross the boarder at Detroit or Buffalo!

RFID in identification cards though was a no-brainer eventually though. My worry is when people like the Benettons Group wanted to put them in all of their clothing, thankfully they dropped the idea but still that would be rather Minority Report of them. "Greetings Mr. Smith! I see you're wearing our company's boxers, however they're getting a bit old, perhaps you should buy a new pair!" ...creepy.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by ProjectJimmy]

top topics

join