It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama and ACORN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
read the article below. Obama worked with ACORN voter project.
He represented group in effort to get mortgages for subprime buyers.

from the source:

"During the 2008 presidential campaign, Democratic Party candidate Barack Obama met with ACORN leaders and reminded them of his history with ACORN and his work in Project Vote!

In 1992, while he was working as a community organizer in Chicago, Obama headed the Chicago operations of Project Vote!, an ACORN effort to register voters nationally.

"I came out of a grassroots organizing background," Obama bragged on his campaign website "Fight the Smears," in a section that apparently has been removed. "That's what I did for three and a half years before I went to law school. That's the reason I moved to Chicago to organize."

Eager to let the ACORN audience know he was one of them, Obama went on to specify: "So this is something that I know personally, the work you do, the importance of it. I've been fighting alongside ACORN on issues you care about my entire career. Even before I was an elected official, when I ran Project Vote voter registrations drive in Illinois, ACORN was smack dab in the middle of it, and we appreciate your work."

Here, Obama in his own words clearly acknowledged his close association with ACORN, his acceptance of ACORN's radical methodology and his appreciation for the support of the organization in his run for the presidency.

ACORN also played an instrumental role in urging lenders to extend home mortgages to subprime borrowers, pushing charges against banks in the 1980s that their home lending practices amounted to "red-lining," in violation of the 1977 Community Reinvestment Act, according to a report published by Stan Liebowitz in the New York Post.

In 1994, lawyer Obama, a graduate of Harvard Law School then fresh from his Project Vote! experience, represented ACORN in the Buycks-Roberson v. Citibank Federal Savings Bank case, in which ACORN pressed for Citibank to make more loans to marginally qualified African-American applicants "in a race neutral way."

After obtaining a settlement in the Citibank litigation, ACORN used its subsidiary organization ACORN Housing, a nationwide organization with offices in more than 30 U.S. cities, to push the group's radical agenda to get subprime home buyers mortgages under the most favorable terms possible.

The meltdown in subprime home mortgages has been widely regarded as a major contributing cause of the current recession that officially began in December 2008 after two consecutive quarters of negative growth in gross domestic product, or GDP.

During 2008, the Obama presidential campaign attempted to distance the candidate from ACORN voter fraud by arguing that the U.S. Department of Justice was on the same side of the Citibank case as was lawyer Obama, reflecting the Clinton administration's determination to expand homeownership among the poor.

"Barack Obama strongly condemns voter registration fraud or any other breach of election law by any party or group," Ben LaBolt, an Obama campaign spokesman, said in a statement,. as reported by the New York Times.

While the Obama administration's $787 economic stimulus package did not funnel federal funds to ACORN by name, the bill signed by the president included some $2 billion for non-profit "neighborhood stabilization" non-governmental organizations. Some of those funds could be allocated to ACORN to buy abandoned or foreclosed homes in impoverished neighborhoods, with the intent to rehabilitate them for resale or rental. "

link: www.worldnetdaily.com...

I wonder if he feels any responsibility for the bailouts now.

Added 'ex' tags for external material

[edit on 15/5/09 by masqua]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by czacza1

Glenn Beck has been investigating ACORN for quite some time and has had members on his program. ACORN has major problems and has clearly gone to the wolves. Greed and corruption has destroyed ACORN and they should be banned from receiving ANY federal funding. Voter fraud, embezzlement, racketeering, illegal campaign contributions etc... the list goes on.

Ridiculous!! ACORN is Obama's little pet project and I doubt that they will ever be held accountable for their crimes.

ACORN has active board members who refuse to give up their posts because they want answers and solutions to the fraud and corruption. These members, THe ACORN Eight, have actually called for a freeze on any funding until their is a formal investigation into the crimes committed by ACORN officials and workers.

ACORN has some mighty deep roots...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Show me where ACORN has ever received Federal Funding.

So a non profit organization who's mission is to be a voice for poor people helped try to get them loans so they could buy a cheap home is somehow the devil.

Yea it was those poorest of homes that destroyed our economy not the Trillions in derivatives.

Glen Beck and the Right Wing have been going after ACORN because the last thing they want is some grass roots organization helping poor people to stand up and be a part of the voting process.

The Right Wing has consistently lied about ACORN and the great work it does in order to destroy this organization.

ACORN has never been found of doing ANYTHING illegal. Instead what has happened is the Right Wing putting their machine in full BS overload in order to damage the organization with flat out lies and ZERO proof.

The last thing Republican want is a mass poor voting electorate.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by AllexxisF1]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AllexxisF1

well, tell me how they are happy now that they have got the help to get the loans for the houses they can not keep? they have to pay the loans back but the prices are down. so even after loosing the house they have received the loan for they still keep the debt but nothing else. does it help a poor to have a more debt? they were scr###ed

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Hey Czacza1,
We can all agree that predatory lenders should be tossed to the wolves for taking advantage of prospective clients.

However in terms of Acorn's involvement (which was so INCREDIBLY small in the scheme of who were the real perpetrators on home home owners) is just another right wing faux attack on Acorn.

I love to hear right wingers spout stuff about ACORN and when you ask them what ACORN is they look at you like a deer in head lights. They are just regurgitating the crap that was handed to Rush, Hannity, Beck and company from the RNC.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllexxisF1
Show me where ACORN has ever received Federal Funding.

ACORN Recieved $31 Million in Federal Funding

So a non profit organization who's mission is to be a voice for poor people helped try to get them loans so they could buy a cheap home is somehow the devil.

their mission was to elect BO by any means necessary. 'community activists' were the foot troops behind the liberal coercion to make banks give home loans to people who could not afford to pay them back, thus precipitating the collapse of the u.s. economy.

Yea it was those poorest of homes that destroyed our economy not the Trillions in derivatives.

lest we forget who caused the crisis that dems now want to use as a pretext for $1 trillion in unaffordable left-wing pork

In their own words, on camera, documented and recorded

and

How they tried to cover up the unfolding catastrophe

putting democrats in positions of responsibility will always have consequences.

Glen Beck and the Right Wing have been going after ACORN because the last thing they want is some grass roots organization helping poor people to stand up and be a part of the voting process.

thats right, conservatives are against the plantations of lifelong democrat voters that liberals keep oppressed for their own power. republicans abolished slavery, democrats fought it. democrats won, they still have slavery.

The Right Wing has consistently lied about ACORN and the great work it does in order to destroy this organization.

who's lying about acorn?

ACORN Thugs Lavishly Financed With Your Money

Obama Campaign Caught in ACORN Lies

ACORN has never been found of doing ANYTHING illegal. Instead what has happened is the Right Wing putting their machine in full BS overload in order to damage the organization with flat out lies and ZERO proof.

More Acorn Voter Fraud Comes to Light

Recent Fraud

ACORN Watch: Voter fraud and mortgage scams on your dime

Obama's ACORN Friends Caught at Election Fraud Once Again

Ex-ACORN worker: 'I paid the price' for voter registration fraud

theres plenty more where those came from.

The last thing Republican want is a mass poor voting electorate.
[edit on 15-5-2009 by AllexxisF1]

as progressive icon Joseph Stalin said:

The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DohBama

Star for you.

Anyone with an IQ over 40 knows ACORN is a Democrat party crime syndicate.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by jjkenobi]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AllexxisF1

I am not a big republican supporter. I belive that both are pretty evil. and u see, the ACORN involvment was maybe not that powerful but it does not mean that noone should investigate on it.

new topics

top topics

join