It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Credit cards and gun rights - Huh?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Credit cards and gun rights - Huh?

money.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (CNNMoney.com) -- What do guns have to do with credit cards?

Not much. Except they both share space on a bill that lawmakers want to deliver to President Obama's desk by Memorial Day.

In a surprising move, the Senate voted 67-29 on Tuesday to attach a measure that would allow guns in national parks to a bill that cracks down on credit card fees.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Leave it to Oklahoma to be one of the states to stick up for gun rights nationally. I for one tend to hate the piggy back system that plagues our legislature process, but for once it is to our advantage. If this bill makes it through, it will make another big blow to the anti-gun group.

With the prolific drug manufacturing and processing in our nation's national parks, we need to be able to defend ourselves. A 911 call will not get you very far if you are miles into a national park.

Good job Oklahoma..!

money.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
OR it's just possible that this has been added to make the credit card fees part of the bill LESS likely to be passed, after all we wouldn't want the poor bankers to make less money, would we

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgress
With the prolific drug manufacturing and processing in our nation's national parks, we need to be able to defend ourselves. A 911 call will not get you very far if you are miles into a national park.

I've never heard of anything like that before. How would you set up a drug lab in a national park??!!

Smokey the Bear has a whole new meaning for me now.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
yellowbeard,

That could be one way to look at it, but, living in Oklahoma I can tell you first hand, our gun laws are the least restrictive in the nation. We failed the brady campaign test making last place. Yet we have so few gun incidents. I honestly think that this was an honest attempt by a state delegate to further our gun rights.

mythatsabigprobe,

Drug manufacturing in national parks is a huge issue. Due to the vast size of some national parks, it is nearly impossible to police them. The meth labs pop up everywhere. Search google. You will be deluged with information and news stories, or just click link below.

Google Search - Meth labs national parks

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
My God I love my state more and more every day. Thanks for posting this, I was unaware of it.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   

yellowbeard,

mythatsabigprobe,

Drug manufacturing in national parks is a huge issue. Due to the vast size of some national parks, it is nearly impossible to police them. The meth labs pop up everywhere. Search google. You will be deluged with information and news stories, or just click link below.

In Calif we have a big problem with marijuana growers on forest service and national park land, wilderness areas
Many of these growers go armed to protect there crops.

www.npr.org...
articles.latimes.com...
www.times-standard.com...
www.foxnews.com...
www.minutemanhq.com...
www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2006/09/06/POTFARMS.TMP
www.californiapatriot.org...
www.uhuh.com...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   

yellowbeard,

mythatsabigprobe,

In Calif we have a big problem with marijuana growers on forest service and national park land, wilderness areas
Many of these growers go armed to protect there crops.

www.npr.org...
articles.latimes.com...
www.times-standard.com...
www.foxnews.com...
www.minutemanhq.com...
www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2006/09/06/POTFARMS.TMP
www.californiapatriot.org...
www.uhuh.com...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
The notion that the gun stuff was attached to prevent the credit card stuff from passing is laughable. The credit card stuff as it is written wont change anything for anyone. The debt anyone has is their own fault anyway. The gun stuff shouldnt even be an issue seeing as how it's a natural right specifically protected from government interference by the 2nd Amendment.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to prohibit people from arming themselves in the wilderness was either a complete moron, a gun-grabber as a matter or course, or has never been to a national park.

The argument that permitting firearms in parks will lead to poaching is self defeating. Poaching by definition is illegal, as is murder. What law is going to stop a murderer from murdering? What law is going to stop a poacher from poaching? Have any of the laws infringing on the right to bear arms had any effect on the illegal use of said arms? Has any law ever prevented any crime?

Personally, when camping or hiking in the wilderness I'm always armed legal or not. I figure if something happens and I need it I'd rather live to explain myself than just die some pointless sheep death so some paranoid soccer moms can live with the "illusion" of regulated safety. Why is the paranoia of so some worth more than the lives of others?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I don't understand your system very well, or how you support it to be honest.

A bill should be passed on its own pro's and con's, not influenced by attaching another completely unrelated issue.

And I wouldn't quite jump to conclusions on how this association came about.
How many Credit Card companies operate out of that state? Are there any business links between those who attached this and those in the credit industry? Are there any suspicions of corruption previously alleged?

There is every chance that this was added to force failure of the Credit changes, and without further investigation it would be detrimental to make assumptions that it was done for the right reasons.

Don't let the fact that it is something you are passionate about cloud your judgment of the motives behind it.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Most of us do not like the fact that they can piggy back bills on each other. The stimulus package and original bail out were prime examples of it. Usually the "riding" bills could not pass on their own merits, so the bill author piggy backs it on to another bill that will more than likely pass. I agree that all bills should be passed on their own merits, but for this to work you would have to get everyone to vote for the people they represent instead of vote as a favor for another congressman or senator.

I still think this was an honest attempt to "abuse" the system in our favor.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by LeaderOfProgress]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Nice go see GOOD NEWS once in a while. Everything is always doom and gloom, being able to carry in National Parks is a wonderful thing!

new topics

top topics

join