It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Matthew 23 Describe Modern Day Politicians?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
After reading Matthew 23 I realized how modern day politicians fit this chapter. Am I off my rocker here or does this fit in with this book of Matthew?

3therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do them. (They write the laws and dictate how you should live.)

4"They tie up heavy burdens and lay them on men's shoulders, but they themselves are unwilling to move them with so much as a finger. (They place taxes, and levy restrictions on freedom in the name of protecting you from bad things)

5"But they do all their deeds to be noticed by men; for they broaden their phylacteries and lengthen the tassels of their garments. (They show off their works, adding notches of creditability, and contacts to assist themselves being reelected)

6"They love the place of honor at banquets and the chief seats in the synagogues, and respectful greetings in the market places, and being called Rabbi by men. (They love titles of nobility and duties of power over you)

Eight Woes
13"But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you shut off the kingdom of heaven from people; for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in. (They don't reflect on their own actions)

14"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you devour widows' houses, and for a pretense you make long prayers; therefore you will receive greater condemnation. (They like to gloat in their faith, to appear humble before man)

15"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves. (They corrupt those around them)

16"Woe to you, blind guides, who say, 'Whoever swears by the temple, that is nothing; but whoever swears by the gold of the temple is obligated.' (They claim a religion but place their faith in this world)

17"You fools and blind men! Which is more important, the gold or the temple that sanctified the gold? (They desire riches over a spiritual path)

18"And, 'Whoever swears by the altar, that is nothing, but whoever swears by the offering on it, he is obligated.' 19"You blind men, which is more important, the offering, or the altar that sanctifies the offering? 20"Therefore, whoever swears by the altar, swears both by the altar and by everything on it. 21"And whoever swears by the temple, swears both by the temple and by Him who dwells within it. 22"And whoever swears by heaven, swears both by the throne of God and by Him who sits upon it. (They do not do God's work, even though they swear to follow God)

23"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others. (They rob and steal from those they rule over to further their own ends, only request more riches in violation of the supreme laws of the land)

24"You blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel! (They make laws into whatever they want and disregard the original meaning)

25"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of robbery and self-indulgence. 26"You blind Pharisee, first clean the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of it may become clean also. 27"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness. 28"So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.

29"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, (They honor the fallen, at the same time they perpetuate the wars)

34"Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city, 35so that upon you may fall the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, (I can only think at the end of time or end of the age all truth will be revealed and they will have blood stained on their hands)

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I think some of your descriptions are a little off, but yea I can see where you're going with this.

I've always been kinda agnostic....but the more I see, the more I can get on board with Christian prophecies.

But then again, it could be referring to the gluttony that forms from any old standing empire and it's leaders.

Or it could be referring to the leaders of the Bibles day *Roman Empire*

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
This is in reference to the churches . People that want the best places in church.
Demanding tithing, etc. Religion over a true spiritual experience with God.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I think the passage describes a lot of people. I'm sure there are butchers, bakers, and candlestick makers who fit the bill. And, of course, others who don't.

Politicians are like anyone else, although their work is quite often "morally challenging" in terms of personal ethics versus the "party line". I know of good politicians and bad ones. People who I'd trust and those who I consider to be morally bankrupt.

If there is a God, I'm sure (S)He knows their hearts.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
It applies to pretty much anything which tries to gain power and authority. As those are the things which try to make someone appear as better than or deserving of being in authority.

As religion is in itself political, then it matches politicians. I have a folder for my favorites called politics, I keep political and religious topics in it because they are basically the same, the strive for power over others, or to gain profit over another etc(same thing honestly).

Pharisees and such in the verses is religous, but religious leaders were at that time the political powers among the Jews, although the Romans held final word/execution. So he is talking about religious leaders, but it applies for the political power as well. The pharisees conspire against Jesus because he threatens their power etc.

So you are thinking in the right direction IMO.

Matthew 7 is about the christian church specifically i think. It's worth checking out as well as it relates to this topic.

They are all wolves in sheep's clothing. I made a thread about how to spot them.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
After reading Matthew 23 I realized how modern day politicians fit this chapter. Am I off my rocker here or does this fit in with this book of Matthew?

Yeah probably but having said that, politicians have always been this way. No? Matthew is talking about his own time but some things never change I guess. Greed, power, stupidity, self obsession, hypocrites. It's in our genes.

IRM

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I think "Modern" is the wrong term to use here. The accounts on your post has been going on since forever.

new topics

top topics

join