It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine flu shuts 3 NYC schools, 1 victim critically ill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Swine flu shuts 3 NYC schools, 1 victim critically ill

www.newsday.com

Just when it appeared that the swine flu outbreak was beginning to subside, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Thursday night that an assistant principal at a Queens school was critically ill from the virus and that three Queens schools would be closed until next Friday to slow its spread.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
It seems that we are not out of the woods yet when it comes to the possibility of an H1N1 flu outbreak.

Bloomberg said there was no indication that the new flu virus had mutated to become more virulent. Gov. David A. Paterson, who was also at the City Hall news conference, said the most unusual aspect of the outbreak was its lateness: most flus peak around February, he said

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Three schools have been closed, 4500 students sent home until further notice, and a vice-principal with a pre-existing condition is in critical care.

I will add more as news develops.

www.newsday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I still won't allow myself to be worried by this. Does the assistant principal have any other medical conditions? I don't think the article says. Seems like most people that have had many problems with it have had something else going against them, an infant died, a man with respiratory problems or something of the sort, and I don't know anything of the third person.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I think the key phrase here is "pre existing condition".
More paranoia.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Hey schrodinger,

Do you remeber me.. I came into the fighter scene last year then dissappered... Yeah I moved.. Had internet troubles.... Yeah you have been following ecoparity and Hx3 right? I would listin to them.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
News conference:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Here's another piece about the situation in NYC and the school closings:

Workers target swine flu virus at 3 NYC schools

NEW YORK (AP) — Maintenance workers are scrubbing down three public schools in New York City that were closed because of a swine flu outbreak.

The city's Education Department spokeswoman Margie Feinberg says desks, tables, floors, doors and door handles are being disinfected.

The city announced Thursday that it was closing the schools in Queens after hundreds of children went home sick with flu symptoms.

Adn for the global outlook on the H1N1 situation here is the latest WHO info:

WHO chief warns against false security about flu

* WHO chief says too early to relax about flu outbreaks

* Margaret Chan calls for fast sharing of H1N1 virus samples

* Warns newly-discovered strain may have global implications

* Parts of Southeast Asia seen at particular threat

(Adds comments on vaccine production, latest WHO tally)

The mixed messages are disturbing, first the all out media blitz on H1N1, to an almost no mention in the media..

WHO relaxes guidance to close schools and now warns against false security

Meanwhile pharma is ...

GlaxoSmithKline (GSK.L), Sanofi-Aventis SASY.O, Novartis (NOVN.VX), Baxter International (BAX.N) and other pharmaceutical companies others are awaiting WHO guidance about whether to start mass-producing vaccines to fight H1N1, which may force them to cut production of seasonal flu shots.
bold=mine

I thought they already were in the process of developing a vaccine, now they are waiting on WHO?

Strange deal this whole H1N1 event...

Just make sure to use prevention measures and keep your families as safe as possible, about all we can do

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This flu should not be downplayed. Its serious business many who are susceptible will lose their lives. We all have a duty to try and mitigate the spread of this virus.

Go to any school and inquire how many kids have immune, or other problems that would make them susceptible to this virus. In my state the schools have refused to close even when they have confirmed cases. It’s a murderous affair in my mind.

This virus is deadly serious.

This is the flu by the way, you will likely be exposed to this bug. If your healthy chances are you will be fine so don’t live in fear. If you do get sick please consider the less fortunate and keep yourself isolated until you are completely over it. Maybe even add a day or two to your recovery time just for safe measure.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Donkey_Dean]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

you're right, this is very cereal,

nothing is more cereal than this flu. Even though 30,000 people died from the flu in general since January, this NEW AND IMPROVED flu is much more deadly..even though only Mexicans have died......

I'M SO STARTLED.

..sorry for the.....extremely long quote? lol

[edit on 15-5-2009 by GorehoundLarry]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Hi, Ive been following the swine/bird/human flu for awhile....and Im curious on what people here are doing to Protect there children against this flu. I know its better to prevent it, but children are the ones who usually pick up the most germs.
If ya'll remember that Doctor Confirmation on the other thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

N-Acetyl-Cysteine
For Kids 40 pounds and up, 300-600 mg twice a day, for less than 40 pounds, half that.

I have heard alot of recommendations on here about N-A-C....but has anybody actually tried this on their young ones??

It would be nice to prevent this before the REAL storm comes...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

www.slate.com...

The problem is, we can't compare those numbers. The official swine flu deaths are from patients who were confirmed by lab tests to have been infected with the H1N1 strain. The 36,000 figure, by contrast, isn't a count of people whose death certificate lists "flu" as cause of death; in 2005, the total number of those was just 1,812. But people who die of flu are often no longer infected when they die. Instead, they succumb to pneumonia or heart disease or emphysema—ailments they would have survived if they hadn't been weakened by the flu. That's why the 2,000 or so certified flu deaths represent an underestimate of the flu's real cost.

How does the CDC come up with 34,000 more flu victims? The number comes from a 2003 study led by William W. Thompson. All winter, about 80 labs across the United States continually test patients for flu virus, so we have a pretty good estimate for the number of Americans infected with flu in any given week of the last 20 years. We also know how many Americans total died each week.

Suppose 52,000 people died in the first week of February 2004; 55,000 in the same week in 2005; 51,000 in 2006; and 54,000 in 2007. Suppose furthermore that the number of influenza specimens confirmed by labs was 1,000, 2,500, 500, and 2,000 in the four weeks in question. Then it certainly looks like the flu is killing people (whether directly or by opening the door to another lethal illness) at a rate of about two deaths per confirmed specimen; in a world without influenza, the death rate would be constant at 50,000 per week.

In real life, though, the numbers aren't that clean—they never are. Lots of nonflu factors push the death rate around from week to week and year to year. But a statistical technique called regression allows us to find the value of X such that the formula

[Total deaths] = [Deaths if there were no such thing as flu] + X*[number of confirmed flu cases]

matches the data as closely as possible. The rightmost term, X*[number of confirmed flu cases], is then our estimate for the number of deaths you can attribute to flu. In the example above, you'd choose [Deaths without flu] to be 50,000 and X to be 2. And if 18,000 specimens test positive for flu over the course of a year, you'd blame 36,000 deaths on the flu.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Donkey_Dean]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
And the threat of the swine flu is where?

It's a flu. Yes, I was one of those "THIS IS THE BIG ONE" individuals when the Swine was infecting a bunch of Mexicans in a country with POOR health care.

..then I stopped being paranoid of this super duper virus that got the media outlets a crapload of ratings for spreading fear.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by GorehoundLarry]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Maybe they really want to unload all that Tamiflu.

It has a shelf life, right?

I will not be one to worry yet. However, there is a good chance it'll gain some major strength while traveling the world and kick our arses this Fall.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I'm getting sick of this swine flu supposed "pandemic", its all hype and fear spreading BS. Do research people! Here are the facts:

4 swine flu deaths in the USA, in each case the victims had prior health complications and in one case a 2 year old child died.

4,714 people infected with swine flu in the USA
Sources:
www.ajc.com...
www.reuters.com...

36,000 people die annually from seasonal flu
200,000 are hospitalized from seasonal flu
Sources:
www.cdc.gov...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by chirp

It is a sorry affair, but viruses escaping the Lab are common. I would imagine this virus is from a vaccine manufacturer. They do immunize pigs against all strains found in this virus after all. Where else would you get such a mix? We will likely never know if it was a mistake or criminal, but we should be demanding reform from the PTB.

We are part of the problem friends, we just sit here while viruses are let lose, our government rapes kids and the Talmud thumpers take us on the biggest economic ride in history. In recent years they have just walked all over us.

If the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq were not for Israel then I am 10 feet tall and from another dimension. Just look at a map and to see the truth we have Iran on both sides. Israel is on a path to total destruction we cannot let them take us with them.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by Donkey_Dean]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkCyrus

If people are sick of reading about the swine flu then I wish they would just quit choosing to read these threads!

Unfortunately, this Assistant Principal who had obviously made a career out of helping children learn, has passed away due to this virus. Whether this turns in to the pandemic equal to 1918 remains to be seen. It is unfortunately any people have to die.

Rest in Peace and thank you for your dedication to the education system.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
So, tomorrow my chorus is going into Harlem to sing at a church that we sing at bi-annually. And apparently there were complaints about the fact that we were going into the city. We had the same complaints a few weeks ago before we went to the opera, and we went anyway. Basically our school nurses are mad that parents keep calling telling us not to go, even though there are no cases in that school or the surrounding area currently.

But my nurse pulled the whole "More people are dying of the regular flu" thing. I don't care either way, but if the school/church we're singing at had a case, I'm sure we wouldn't be going.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Sadly, the woman in New York who was ill with the flu passed today-- the 6th in the US:

www.nytimes.com...

WHO is considering Level 6 due to the outbreak in Japan, as well.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by 1curious1

Curious- thank you for your humanistic post amidst the dialogue. I, too, have felt sadness for the losess during my research. Let's not forget we're talking about real people. YES- real people die everyday, but we're not posting about them. We're writing about a global infection that may- god forbid- catch any one of us.

Well said.

NB- my above post referenced a woman in NY who died- not the man who did- my apologies for the mistake.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by CultureD]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join