It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

String Theory: Equivalence Principle In Space Test

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
String Theory: Equivalence Principle In Space Test

www.sciencedaily.com...

Since Galileo Galilei and Newton, the assumption is valid that inert and heavy mass are equivalent. This is, however, questioned by new physical theories such as the String theory.

Now, the equivalence principle is put to test with so far unachieved accuracy within the scope of the "Microscope" space project - a German-French cooperation. PTB has developed the manufacturing and measuring methods for the test masses which are required for the acceleration experiments in a near-Earth orbit, and has manufactured the first test pieces.

If the equivalence principle is shown to be invalid, it could support the concept of a "gravitational force beam", as discovered by Evgeny Podkletnov.

As i recall, the equivalence principle provided a hurdle for the explanation of an event that Podkletnov had happen during an experiment:

Podkletnov's Force Beam During experimentation with colleague Giovanni Modanese, Podkletnov found that by stimulating a rotating superconductor with a high-voltage electrical arc, a beam of force was created that is currently unexplained by contemporary physics. The "mystery-force" appears to have a repulsive effect on nearby materials, and appears to be a focused beam of force, although the exact nature of the force that causes the repulsion is still under scrutiny.

www.americanantigravity.com...

Here, however, we encounter a conceptual difficulty. Suppose to place on the trajectory
of the beam a very massive pendulum (say, 103 Kg). If the effect is gravitational, then
the acceleration of a test mass should not depend on its mass. However, it is clear that in
order to give this mass the same oscillation amplitude of the small masses employed in the
experiment, a huge energy amount is necessary, which cannot be provided by the device.
Therefore the effect would seem to violate the equivalence principle. Considering the backreaction
is probably necessary, namely the fact that the test mass exerts a reaction on the
source of the impulse. This reaction is negligible as long as we use small test masses.

www.arxiv.org...

Originally researched and reported in my thread:

Anti-gravity and the search for Dr. Ning Li

[edit on 14-5-2009 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
i've been to the americanantigravity site before, but your link isn't working for that page...

i'm curious to see what kind of result they get! when do we get this puppy goin'?!

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by adrenochrome
i've been to the americanantigravity site before, but your link isn't working for that page...

i'm curious to see what kind of result they get! when do we get this puppy goin'?!

Their site was decommissioned for some reason. Used to, when you typed in their URL you would get a page that said they were going to rebuild it and re-release it. Now, the URL is dead.

That really sucks.

The article i linked to was a story outlining the arxiv paper. In this particular instance you are not missing much. But i think we are all really missing out now that american antigravity is no longer there.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I wager the Equivalence Principle will be confirmed. Relativity always comes up trumps.

new topics

top topics

join