It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Times-"A climate solution that's out of this world"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

Sure Mike. Most all the UFO stuff has been nonsense. Lot's of light weight new age wishful thinking.

However, my point stands; If the government knew, they'd keep the advantage. Likely, if a government agency knew -- it would morph into the hands of a corporation. Our Banks, Big Oil and the Military, tell the government what to do.

They would NOT bother to use High tech to win a war. The military makes more money if it just keeps a few steps ahead. Often, when a contractor wants more money, it lets the secrets slip, and that requires an "upgrade" -- or they give the weapons system to Israel, they reverse engineer it, and then sell our weapons to other countries.

>> Regardless of whether theories are accurate or not -- the government would not tell us and it would be the meal ticket for a few wealthy industrialists who would then influence government policy. THEY don't have to get elected.

>> The other thing I'd like to re-emphasize; there are about a trillion planets in our Galaxy. They recently studied the blankest part of space -- smaller then your pinky nail when you hold it out to the sky. Within this area, they trained Hubble on the spot and sampled that area -- I believe, for the next 4 days.

They found about a billion galaxies in that little backwater of the sky.

So you know what? The chances that we have intelligent life out there is an absolute certainty. When you are talking about an infinite Universe -- everything isn't only possible -- it is likely.

Give the human race a million years. The universe has been here at least a billion. So any race that had a million years to develop would be godlike by now.

A few smart physicists have realized that life tends to create polarized light -- a side effect of chemical processes and yellow stars. So we might be able to find likely life-bearing planets by looking for polarized light.

So I imagine, that for a civilization with 1 million years of technology -- we stand out like a beacon.

I don't need UFO spare parts to tell me; It is almost a certainty that earth has been visited by advanced sentient races, and that they watch us from time to time. Anyone who makes it to the stars is curious -- it just goes with the whole "advancing" situation. Likely they might be part machine as well, as that's a good way to step beyond mere evolution.

That doesn't mean that we've seen them, or hit them with a missile. They may fold space and avoid anything including light -- we are just getting an inkling of what is possible. So ALL the UFO reports can be bogus -- every single one. We may have no evidence at all.

That doesn't mean that I don't believe that for a fact, there are beings around us, and watching us. They may not want to, or be able to, interact with us.

Infinite Universe with billions of years to develop. Yes, I'm 99.99% certain that advanced races exist. And if they exist, given that we've had appreciable amounts of life for 3 Billion. They would have sent a probe to check us out -- being that costs go down on these things every year in post-industrial societies.

If they sent a probe and found reasonably intelligent life. They sent scientists.

It might be amusing to them that we shoot down weather balloons, or see swamp gas and think its a vehicle from the sky. They could be walking through buildings and we would never know it.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

I am just contemplating the numbers, our galaxy, with she shape of a flat disk around the nucleus, have about 200-400 billion stars, it is 100.000 light years in diameter (600.000 including the Halo) and 1000 ly thick, the complexity adds that our galaxy is just one of billions in the observable universe.

1ly=9.5×10^12km
milky way diameter= 9.5x10^17 km
earth diameter= 12,756 km
earth size compared to our galaxy=12 756 / (9.5 * (10^17)) = 1.34273684 × 10^-14 km
the size of an atom is 0.1 nanometer= 1.0 × 10^-13 km

Like goofy would have said, oh gosh. Edit, oops, that was a 17 power instead of 12 in a lightyear, but our size relative to milky way is a fraction of an atom, the andromeda galaxy in comparison is 2.5 million ly across (25 times the milky way) - how would an ETI find us ??

[edit on 2009/5/16 by reugen]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The problem with any clean energy is very obvious to see. The fossil fuel industry is a billion if not trillion dollar a year industry. There is so much money still to be made from fossil fuels that the TPTB do not want to lose. The middle east countries especially would lose there main asset. I'm sorry to say the the dollar trumps the Environment.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by GOTZEUS

Thank you for posting this. Very interesting and the NY times too.
Flag and star for you.

I'm not holding my breath. But glad to see the issue is getting attention/debated. I'm thinking people are more open minded.

Baby steps . . .

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GOTZEUS

Good post, star and flag. The UFO disclosure situation is gaining more and more momentum and I believe reaching its peak. There are so many people, professionals, military, etc that it is forcing this issue to a climax. I believe that we will have disclosure, maybe not by May 31, but likely before 2012 (Obamas' re-election bid, not the end of the world,lol).

I just think we have been seeing more and more information leaked to the public at a high rate over the last 3 years and I believe it is coming. Never before has Ufology had such a presence as it does now. Ufology has people influencing congress and other political bodies. I believe the truth will come to light very soon.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
To the conservative post about MSNBC
CNN, and FOX also have done lots of specials on UFOs..

I was going to go point by point on pointing out the incredible fallacys and ignorance of the post, but then I noticed I could actually ignore him and his posts (new here)...and decided that takes less effort...by that one post, I knew all I needed to know about the chap.

Anyhow, to get onto more relevant posts...they still are touching the waters carefully when reporting about UFOs...so ya, they will now interview credible people with newsworthy storys in regards, but also know they have to immediately put a debunker beside them, else be seen by some as odd or wacky.

one day they will read the census reports and realize over half of the US believes in some aspects of the UFO phenomona...UFO "wackos" outnumber the rest now..wasnt that way 20 years back, but it is now...so, time for them to refocus and understand their audience, or be washed away into old thinking patterns. time to wake up...not just because its the right thing to do, but because it will soon be the profitable thing to do, and these news agencys are simply businesses...thats all..if they can present things in a level headed fashion, they will make themselves more credible, and willing to dig past the retoric to get to the actual truth..like, oh, I donno...a news agency

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if we start to see more and more conditioning like this in order to get us (well those who don't quite believe in ET presence) to be more open minded about it so when they do disclose, there won't be as much madness and mayhem.

ET believers have noticed a serious increase in activity as of late. It might be getting to the point where they aren't going to be able to hide it anymore so letting these little trickles out into the mainstream are a way to cushion the blow.

Without getting into my own personal stance on UFOs, I think what you're seeing is not so much a preparation for anything as much as a media fouth wall has come down.

MSM and I'll include the legitimate press, was reticent to report on UFOlogy and conspiracy theories in general. Viewed as the domain of tabloid press and cheap paperbacks, it was considered too out there, too lunatic fringe for them to do much more than mention highlights of reports or the occasional borad coverage done distancing themselves implicitly. Quite frankly it was throught a newspaper that took UFOs seriously would jeopardize it's credibility.

Times change. The Internet has a lot to do with it. Conspiracy beliefs and speculations on extraterrestrials are no longer marginal. In some ways you could call them mainstream now. A huge and growing audience. The notions of a government cover-up of alien technology or a controlled demolition of the already demolished WTC skyscrapers are just accepted without question by most kids under 20.

Newspaper and television need audiences to survive. Already advertising revenues are way down, and viewers and readers are looking elsewhere.

So the straighter media sources invariably go tabloid in a quiet desperation. More celebrity news, sex scandals, and inevitably giving what was once considered fringe culture more time and attention.

Mike

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join