It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is it about Christianity?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

The ancient Greek cults also had an afterlife but like the Celtic and Norse ones it wasn't exactly anything to look forward too... it was a kind of shadowy half life... there was some punishment for the especially bad and some reward for the saintly but it was nothing like what Christianity offers.

Another reason is the Orthodox and Catholic churches evolved a whole life embracing mythology surrounding Christ which made him more approachable than the distant gods.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

The ancient Greek cults also had an afterlife but like the Celtic and Norse ones it wasn't exactly anything to look forward too... it was a kind of shadowy half life... there was some punishment for the especially bad and some reward for the saintly but it was nothing like what Christianity offers.

Another reason is the Orthodox and Catholic churches evolved a whole life embracing mythology surrounding Christ which made him more approachable than the distant gods.

Hi grover/

What do you mean by 'embracing mythology' surrounding Christ?
There are no myths attached to the services done in the Church.

helen

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by helen670

There are a whole series of myths about Jesus' family and his early years that were built up over the years... and it is these myths that made Jesus more "human" and approachable.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
What is it about Christianity, that applies to not only the conversions in Europe, but also in Iceland, Greenland, and New Foundland.

Why do peoples adopt it so ?[edit on 14-5-2009 by HunkaHunka]

The Issue of forced conversions needs to be noted: Massacre of Verden being example of what would happen if one didn't convert!

Other reasons for conversion were the fact that Christianity is an entirely exoteric Religion and is very easy to understand.

The Pagan polytheistic cults still had alot of mystery religionist elements that the average person (un-inititated) would not understand so many wanted to join the religion where they got to 'know everything up-front' so to speak.

Also there were economic elements in that Christians forbade any type of Trade with Pagans so sometimes whole villages would convert over just so they could trade with their neighbors easier.

Also there is the issue of Cypsis: Alot of Pagans only pretended to convert but in secret still continued in the Old Ways and even would put Runes on the side of their Stave Kirches and the Christians of the South didn't know any better that they were in fact Pagan symbols!!! right under their noses!! So that is one reason why Paganism has continued to this day.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

The Church does not embrace mythology...Mythology was actually based on Old beliefs where there was no Christ and therefore people began to see in it,a worship of many gods in place of the One True God.
The Eastern Church does not hold onto myths, but is based on Christ's teachings which was then passed onto the Apostles....you cannot have mixed beliefs....in order to do this, it would not make any sense as a Christian because this would be against what Christ preached and therefore it would all be a lie!
There would be no belief in the Old Testament prophets and their prophesies concerning a Messiah.

''But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to that which you received, let him be accursed.[The Epistle to the Galatians, Ch. I, vv. 8-9]

There are a whole series of myths about Jesus' family and his early years that were built up over the years... and it is these myths that made Jesus more "human" and approachable.

I'm going to have to disagree with you that Jesus Christ was a series of myths.
The Early Church of Christ began from the Apostles of Christ...missionary work and living in the deserts as did many of the Old Testament faithfulls.
The Old Testament was not a fabricated myth...which foretold the Coming of Christ(Xristos or Anointed one)
Many of the Old Testament Prophets prophesied of the coming of a Messiah for thousands of years prior ...Jesus Christ fulfilled each and everyone of those prophecies in His Prophets.
I understand that many did not believe and many still do not believe that He was the Promised Messiah, but this does not make it a Myth.
helen

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
it's all to do with marketing and promotion. all in all, if the powers that be wanted to promote a religion to keep the slavish classes in line, christianity is a good option.

it's easy to sell because the christian afterlife option is just a really good deal by comparison to pagan afterlife options. the people at the time had no issue choosing between gods on a cost benefit analysis. you worshiped this god if you needed this or that one if you needed that. on the surface, christianity is often a good option unless you are fairly anti-social. all it asks is that you're nice and exclusively worship one god. pretty easy stuff.

however, if you were in one of these classes, christianity offered a good control mechanism for the lower classes. the whole "give unto ceaser what is ceasers" bit is a handy emphasis if you want to keep the slaves in their place and the "thou shalt not kill" is a good way of stopping them from poisoning your wine.

if you compare the gospel to modern dogma, it becomes clear that particularly controling and subserviant elements were emphicised and expanded with this in mind.

to illustrate the point, consider the seven cardinal or deadly sins. these are the dogmatic view of the worst things a christian can do.

lust: view love and sex from a practical perspective, marriage and inheritance is a good consideration, love and attraction are sins.

gluttony, don't eat to much, you might get strong and healthy, thats a sin.

greed, don't want too much of my stuff, thats a sin.

sloth, work hard, don't relax and only do enough to get you by, thats a sin.

wrath, don't be angry and vengeful about the way your life is, thats a sin.

envy, don't want what i have, thats a sin.

pride: don't expect to be treated well, thats a sin.

the gospels allude to the concept of the dangers in these vices in a passing manner and they have since been extrapolated and expanded upon in order to control and subvert, with either the promise of a good afterlife or the threat of a horrendous afterlife in a kind of carrot and stick approach.

basically, what i'm saying is that christianity offers the poor a reward and the rich a control mechanism, it has something for everyone so it is a great seller.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

This is not the thread to debate this issue but be that as it may, you are wrong.

It is well documented that the church, both east and west embraced a lot of the earlier myths and grafted them onto Christianity in order to make it more easier for the common people to relate to.

Nor did I say that Jesus Christ was a series of myths... rather I said that a whole series of myths were attached to him and his family to fill out the missing details in the Bible.

I suggest that you misunderstand the idea of myth.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by grover]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
OP - Just one little thing. There are enough varieties of religion, with enough variances as to form and function, to confuse Confusious.

I was not raised with any particular religion. Outside looking in, I saw hypocrisy and loose ends.

My awakening happened automatically, internally. The external search yielded nothing more than what I had already observed.

The Creator's voice lies within each of us. The choice to hear it is optional. There are no single-source religious ideals that answer the vastness of human need. There are only variations of what I stated above.

Power lies in convincing masses to follow along. Man-made religion (dogma, doctrine, tradition) is all about the power.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Christianity is a crutch, in my opinion, based on fear and ignorance in the true sense of that word. Not knowing should spur one to question, research and formulate.
Religion seems to be the "easy" method of attainment. Dogmatic principles passed on for many years, and accepted as truth, just because the church, the pope, the bible,
the canterbury tales, the omega books or the da vinci code says that this is the penultimate truth does not generally make it so.
When will humankind realize that the acceptance of a not known is perhaps more powerful than the knowing itself. "Sepa la bola"

Just be careful to not sprain an ankle on your path...

Peace...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I don't know about the vikings, but I believe it because I feel it in my heart, and I want to share it with the rest of you. We love because He (God) first loved us. It makes me sad to know that for years people have used Christianity to manipulate and control their brothers when they should be using it to unite and uplift their brothers, to strenghen the weak, provide for the less fortunate, etc.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
it's all to do with marketing and promotion. all in all, if the powers that be wanted to promote a religion to keep the slavish classes in line, christianity is a good option.

Hi/
Yeh,It begins with whatever it is you want to hear....what's marketing and promotion have to do with Christ's teaching?

it's easy to sell because the christian afterlife option is just a really good deal by comparison to pagan afterlife options. the people at the time had no issue choosing between gods on a cost benefit analysis. you worshiped this god if you needed this or that one if you needed that. on the surface, christianity is often a good option unless you are fairly anti-social. all it asks is that you're nice and exclusively worship one god. pretty easy stuff.

Actually the afterlife does not consist of a one way ticket for heaven if you are a Christian!
Man cannot judge you,man can only give advice....God is Judge.
So is that why many early Christians were put to their death...because of needing this and that?
They needed to be put to their death?
It's not about being 'nice and worship' one God... .there is much more to being a Christian and it's not 'easy stuff'!
So many people think that being a Christian in this life gets them into Heaven...this is not so!

however, if you were in one of these classes, christianity offered a good control mechanism for the lower classes. the whole "give unto ceaser what is ceasers" bit is a handy emphasis if you want to keep the slaves in their place and the "thou shalt not kill" is a good way of stopping them from poisoning your wine.

Wine being poisoned?
Taxes and death is what it is...can anyone avoid it?
do you work?
It's a man made Law!
One is actually a slave to Mans Law!
At least God gave us Free will!

if you compare the gospel to modern dogma, it becomes clear that particularly controling and subserviant elements were emphicised and expanded with this in mind.

show me where in the Gospels this is...
ok, you show an example///
///////////

to illustrate the point, consider the seven cardinal or deadly sins. these are the dogmatic view of the worst things a christian can do.

lust: view love and sex from a practical perspective, marriage and inheritance is a good consideration, love and attraction are sins.

gluttony, don't eat to much, you might get strong and healthy, thats a sin.

greed, don't want too much of my stuff, thats a sin.

sloth, work hard, don't relax and only do enough to get you by, thats a sin.

wrath, don't be angry and vengeful about the way your life is, thats a sin.

envy, don't want what i have, thats a sin.

pride: don't expect to be treated well, thats a sin.

These look like your own made up views and how you see them.

the gospels allude to the concept of the dangers in these vices in a passing manner and they have since been extrapolated and expanded upon in order to control and subvert, with either the promise of a good afterlife or the threat of a horrendous afterlife in a kind of carrot and stick approach.

Again, there is no changes made to the Gospels but your own views on the matter!

basically, what i'm saying is that christianity offers the poor a reward and the rich a control mechanism, it has something for everyone so it is a great seller.

Christianity offers the 'poor' a reward?
Where did you read this?
And the rich a control mechanism?
What are you on about?
If this is what you read and hear then you are not hearing or seeing what Christ had said.....totally out of context.
(quote some passages from Scripture)...
Just because one is poor does not mean they get a ticket to heaven.
or if one is Rich they control others?
This has nothing to do with the teachings of Christ.

helen

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
This is true, there will come a great falling away and the world will be left to the mercy (if there could be any) of the Godless. With no morality to hold them in check, they will hasten their own destruction. I'm glad Jesus found me before the end came.

Are you trying to say that only Christians are moral people. I'm not a christian and I consider myself a very moral person. I'm also modest and not self rightious......just sayin

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Please put your sociologist and anthropologist hats on...

1st There are MANY different varieties of Christianity, so this is not necessarily a question of denomination.

But no matter the tradition... Christianity is used to gain greater control of more independent societies.

I just watched a show about the Vikings, and Christianity was used by the Vikings in Greenland and Newfoundland to maintain a greater order than was typical of these people.

What is it about Christianity, that applies to not only the conversions in Europe, but also in Iceland, Greenland, and New Foundland.

Why do peoples adopt it so ?

Please no theological answers...

[edit on 14-5-2009 by HunkaHunka]

Another means of control among many to choose from. Just like TV.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Six decent replies and you respond to the only sucker one.

Are you trying to bait people?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Becuse it true.........................
It's used as a tool by the currupt becuse it's truth and speaks to you on a level your knowledge from the fruit of the tree of knowledge cannot accept or understand.You rational mind denies the idea of faith, rejects what it cannot explaine.And struggles to grasp the reality of god.It compels you too act in one way or the other,therefor it servers the currupt well,It truth speaks to you on a level you dont accept,therefor your a tool.
becuse its love......................
It shows man a side of himself that inspires spirit,It show man sacrifice for others,respect for life,Love for another,How to live amongst each other.These arnt always shown directly,juxtposition is a method of speaking to the spirt,man can know freedom from being inprisoned,learn of life from death,find the spirit from what the material lacks.It is a record of choices of man,it speaks to you,and you hear it,and you are motivated to reject it or accept it.
Becuse it is Truth,It forces you to act internaly,and Its Freewill that lets you make a choice.
Goes back to the old saying, "you can be anything you belive you can be",although not many take that to the fullest,Faith is the hardest to understand,and the greatest to have.
so in ending this is why it has such magnitizim of attraction, or repeling.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Christianity takes all the responsibility off you. But kind of makes you wrong at the same time. You are wrong because you have sin but you will be forgiven at death by Jesus. Christanity does not require you to do much besides accept Jesus and have a genuine feeling of repentance in the afterlife. So you can do whatever you want as long as you feel guilty for it when you die. If you are bad and do not repent you go to hell, forgive me if im wrong here but i don't think Jesus ever made mention of hell. The greeks believed in hell i think it was called Tartaros. Christianity held a lot of things in common with other religions at the time, so it was easy to get people to convert. Ever notice how Zeus and Jesuus look like they could be brothers? Christianity is monotheistic, however you can pray to saint ______ of _____ much like the way polytheistic religions would pray to a specific god for whatever reason. It was very easy to adapt and change little things to convert populations over to christianity. Thus the easter bunny and christmas tree, what do those have to do with Jesus? Nothing.
Not that i think that aything is bad or wrong about this. I think tht the best intentions were in mind.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by The Mack]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove

Originally posted by watchtheashes
reply to post by Miraj

You're living in the last generation. That's simply put. You'll get all the proof you want. Then you can decide. People won't experience Jesus or God if they don't dispel the doubts from their mind.

As far as I'm concerned Christianity will dwindle down soon much to all your enjoyment.

This is true, there will come a great falling away and the world will be left to the mercy (if there could be any) of the Godless. With no morality to hold them in check, they will hasten their own destruction. I'm glad Jesus found me before the end came.

[edit on 14-5-2009 by Fromabove]

Why do Christians believe that if you're not a Christian then you're immoral. Is morality limited to being religous?

Because I can tell you one thing I KNOW to be true...

I'm not Christian but I definitely act more Christian than many Christians do.

Just because you don't have religion doesn't mean you're out on the town at night robbing, raping, murdering, and betraying.

Edit to add: You forget that your bible says that it's CHRISTIANS who will deny Christ when he returns and will fall away from God. Not the already "unbelieving". Why do Christians always blame the unbelievers for the state of the world when it's the people who claim Christ as their savior going around and starting wars, bombing doctor's clinics and molesting little boys?

[edit on 15-5-2009 by nunya13]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -- Mahatma Gandhi

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Mack
Christianity takes all the responsibility off you. But kind of makes you wrong at the same time. You are wrong because you have sin but you will be forgiven at death by Jesus. Christanity does not require you to do much besides accept Jesus and have a genuine feeling of repentance in the afterlife. So you can do whatever you want as long as you feel guilty for it when you die. If you are bad and do not repent you go to hell, forgive me if im wrong here but i don't think Jesus ever made mention of hell.
[edit on 15-5-2009 by The Mack]

I think this hits the nail on the head. I remember watching a youtube video w/ Ann Coulter (shivers) on a talk show (I can't remember the guy but he was Jewish and I'll get the video if you want me to). She told the host that Jews needed to be "perfected". Naturally, the host took offense to this and she tried to back track and what not and told him to just not be offended.

She then elaborated by saying that she thinks the Jews are doing things the hard way based on the old testament by following these rituals and whatnot. She said Christians have taken the fast track because they don't need to go out of their way to earn God's favor since Jesus has already died for our sins.

I am paraphrasing a whole bunch, but this was the gist of it. I've never heard a Christian be so truthful about their religion in my life-- "I can do what I want and be forgiven for it in the end".

I also believe that Christianity is very effect at maintaining control over the populace because much of Christian belief says that you shouldn't question anything the bible tells you, it's the devil work if you do. This keeps people from wondering why their leaders are doing this or that if their leaders are saying they are doing the will of God (George Bush Jr. anybody?).

It also creates an atmosphere where people aren't too hard press to fight the status quo because they believe everything will turn out okay in the end when Jesus comes back to save them all.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

helen, i appreciate the time you took to question my post but i don't really understand your questions. i'm not talking about the merits, or otherwise, of christianity, i am talking about it's spread and why i believe it spread.

christs teachings, i'm afraid to say, have very little to do with the spread and growth of christianity.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join