It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is it about Christianity?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Yeshua is the Jewish Messiah. All Jews that do not accept will perish at His hand. He will kill them with the sword that comes from His mouth. The Word of God will literally kill. Not a metaphor. I know it sounds horrible but...how would you feel if Your own people rejected You? Even so it must have happened for the grand scheme of things.

I'm not trying to fight with anyone on Christianity or Jewish belief. I simply hope Jews and Christ's followers will all just come together when they realize something is going on. Even atheists who simply ignore the Law because it has morality. I'm not proclaiming doom but rather hoping people turn to salvation before the doom. I don't look forward to times of trouble, but to the time of the Kingdom Of Heaven. The trouble simply has to be to bring humanity to atonement.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The Holocaust showed us what humanity is capable of. Now it is the year 2009 and that's a long ways from World War II. We're on the heels of World War III, and if we end up using nukes and the like then we are really showing what we can do. Only now does man possess the capability of completely wiping himself off the map. And another massive scale Holocaust. This generation has never seen either of them so they think things continue as they were. Not so.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Because Christianity more than any other religion that I know of offers hope beyond the grave.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Christianity has developed the way it has in history because it has a way of always playing the victim and blaming all the evils done in its name on someone else....

IE, all the goodness in the world is because of God...all the Evil because of Satan...good things happen to people who follow God...but when bad things happen to good people...well, its all part of God's plan....so its good....good good good...

And if you dare say otherwise...you're basically sodomizing Christ...you horrible person....

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Why would this question be limited only to christianity ? The same could be said about any of the worlds religions , depending on what part of the world you call home .

One man may claim control the other man might call it salvation , who are we to say ?

Many people have caused great harm and suffering and claimed religion as the justifying cause , so what ? A evil person will use anything to justify a self centered cause , why should intelligent people be surprised to find that religion is also used in this fashion ?

When we simply blame religion , or any one thing for that matter , as the cause of the worlds suffering are we not showing the very ignorance that we claim religion
promotes ?

I would say that people follow religion for the same reason that some chose not to follow religion , we believe what we want to , its our right after all . When we start to feel threatened because of a persons belief system what's that say about us and our own belief system ?

Are we to feel sorry for people that follow religion ? Of course not , and if one day you do find yourself doing so then perhaps you are the one who has been led astray .

We have the right to believe whatever we want and if we are ever going to take up a cause it shouldn't be to take away from our rights , it should be to strengthen them .

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The Holy Bible depicts a just and loving God that would only punish when it was right to do so. Does a father not spank or punish his child in error? Would the Father of humanity not punish His children for erring in their ways? God is not the cause of the evil in the world, but rather allows it to fulfill His ultimate purpose which was ruined with what happened in Eden. That is why Christ died. One man brings sin in, one perfect man takes it out. Only this was the Son of God. So thus perfect.

[edit on 5/14/2009 by watchtheashes]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

Why would this question be limited only to christianity ? The same could be said about any of the worlds religions , depending on what part of the world you call home.

Like I said earlier, Christianity more than any other religion offers hope beyond the grave.

In Judaism... salvation is gained by adherence to the law.

In Islam... salvation is gained within the context of a righteous community with explains a lot about Islamic extremism... and those who ignore that fact miss the whole issue.

In Buddhism... salvation is an extremely private matter between you and the universe... actually Buddhism as in the teachings of the Buddha and Christianity as in the teachings of Jesus are remarkably compatible as both are the greatest of the meditative religions.

Hinduism approach in many ways can be described as a cross between Judaism as in there is a strong focus on ritual observance and Buddhism in that ultimately it comes down between you and the universe.

But only Christianity addresses the matter of existence beyond death.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by watchtheashes

Some of us would not have to reject him if he would give us some assurance that he is there, that he is listening, that he is the truth. I was brought up as a christian, and the fear of questioning my religion was instilled in me long ago. But now that I have gotten older, I have started wondering and asking questions, but I never get any answers, I only become more confused. I can just hope that I am not in the wrong, and that I am not punished for questioning.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

What is it about Christianity, that applies to not only the conversions in Europe, but also in Iceland, Greenland, and New Foundland.

I think Christianity offers a nice neat little box. Take the 10 commandments, 10 rules to live by. These rules make sense to most, and offer clarity to anyone who cannot see clearly.

The message....... all you need to do is follow these simple things in life and at the end you will be accepted into a wonderful paradise. Even if you might stray to some degree, the god of this religion will forgive because he is full of light and love forgiveness.

One thing you did say was that they (the vikings) "used" christianity, and I believe they are one of many who "used" christianty.

That is the issue these days to me, when inevitably christianity will be attacked and those attacking will always revert to all the bad things they say christianity has done. When in fact it is not the religion itself perpetrating these things it is MAN "using" any means neccessary to gain control of his fellow man.

If Religion disappeared today. You would likely see other reasons for cotrol or war appear. Say perhaps.... scientists suggesting the possibility that some races are inferior to others
(this has already started). What better reason for one race to control another? And by what means? War? genocide = survival of the fittest, now there is justification.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

I am afraid that I cant not speak to the other religions as you have with regards to there take on salvation I can only speak to my own , as I have not researched the others

However I do believe that people have the right to believe whatever they like , even if I disagree with them .

I also notice a rising trend in anti christian remarks , not only here on ATS but everywhere . Why is this ? Why do people who claim to be enlightened waist time to put any one religion down ? Seems to me that they may have succumbed to some new dogma themselves .

No man will ever make themselves look good or look intelligent by running down religion , even if there comments make themselves feel that way , but hey to each there own and believe what you will , its your right .

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
It seems that alot of people judge christianity based on how political and religious leaders have used it for control and personal gain. Leaders will use ANY METHOD that works to gain control or power over people, and religion happens to be their most effective tool. In that regard you can't really single out christianity for committing attrocities in the past, can you?

Christianity is unique amongst religions in that it is the only religion (I know of at least) where you only have to believe in a savior, nothing more, and you gain salvation. All other religions are about achieving something through your actions. Maybe that's what attracts people to christianity...?

I think a man's beliefs ultimately shape his actions. Atheists must have more self control, restraint, and morality than the rest of us, for if not then I think a man that is accountable only to himself is a danger to us all.

Even if a belief in some sort of super-natural punishment or all-seeing judge of man is based on fiction, it is surely a better deterrent than the imperfection and hypocritical nature of man and his ego, that dictates only when you are caught are you wrong. A child that believes Santa is watching is less likely to steal or lie, wouldnt you atheists agree? I'm not saying that belief in God or Jesus automatically makes you a saint. I'm saying atheism requires more behavioral responsibilty, and for man to achieve such a high level of responsibility is a laughable concept when considering what I've seen.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover

Because Christianity more than any other religion that I know of offers hope beyond the grave.

Grover,
Yeah that seems kinda logical. But unfortunately, in Viking and Celt mythology, there is an afterlife regardless of how you live. It's just assumed that you go on.

So it's gotta be something else in the case of the Vikings and Celts...

I'm very intrigued by this.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I don't think the op is getting very many answers. Faith seems to blind. Most with it can not see past it. Those that allow themselves sight only look but refuse to see.

Religion has historically been used to control. It still is used to control. And many with out religion allow politics and patriotism to control them (I lump those in as a form of religion). Until we as a human race see this and lose faith and begin to think for ourselves, history is just going to keep repeating itself.

Now this thread will sink down to an argument of christian apologist and atheist apologist with the same old rhetoric and no one will get anywhere...

Have fun!

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oolon
I don't think the op is getting very many answers. Faith seems to blind. Most with it can not see past it. Those that allow themselves sight only look but refuse to see.

Religion has historically been used to control. It still is used to control. And many with out religion allow politics and patriotism to control them (I lump those in as a form of religion). Until we as a human race see this and lose faith and begin to think for ourselves, history is just going to keep repeating itself.

Now this thread will sink down to an argument of christian apologist and atheist apologist with the same old rhetoric and no one will get anywhere...

Have fun!

Unfortunately it turned out that way.

I tried to offer what I believe Christianity is in relation to human psychology, but that offended people.

I know the OP wanted to avoid theology, but people brought theology into this.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchtheashes
The Holocaust showed us what humanity is capable of. Now it is the year 2009 and that's a long ways from World War II. We're on the heels of World War III, and if we end up using nukes and the like then we are really showing what we can do. Only now does man possess the capability of completely wiping himself off the map. And another massive scale Holocaust. This generation has never seen either of them so they think things continue as they were. Not so.

" I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but world War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

-Albert Einstein

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I think it's so successful because the catholic church has/had "taken over", if you will, and since they see the pope, a man, as God, they do not question the divinity of any of it's actions. If there were no "god in the form of a man", then evil wolves would never be able to get away with what they do. Or did.

"oh the pope said it was okay?" well it must be then. If the pope wasn't there in history to advocate violent religious imperialism, men would have heard the voice of God in their hearts much clearer.

[edit on 14-5-2009 by heyo]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
What is it about Christianity?

Simple.

It's convenient. It gives you all the answers so you don't have to think for yourself. It gives you a get out of jail free card for when you F up. And it removes the fear of Death.

It basically silences all those nagging questions you have about life, the universe and spirituality, and replaces it with cardboard cutout of an answer.

People are lazy, and want to rest assured that they will go to happy land when they die, that way they can focus on being ignorant people who have the foresight of a fruit fly.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
i love how 90% of the posts in this thread are angry christians giving theological opinions that were clearly (at request of the thread starter) supposed to not appear in this thread.

he asked a simple question:
"why does christianity appeal to so many people"
i have no idea why it does. i cant make any sense of why anyone would pick that religion over any other.

that is my answer. anyone religious nut with a problem with that can just go elsewhere. i dont care about what you think of my morality or my soul.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest
i love how 90% of the posts in this thread are angry christians giving theological opinions that were clearly (at request of the thread starter) supposed to not appear in this thread.

he asked a simple question:
"why does christianity appeal to so many people"
i have no idea why it does. i cant make any sense of why anyone would pick that religion over any other.

that is my answer. anyone religious nut with a problem with that can just go elsewhere. i dont care about what you think of my morality or my soul.

It doesn't make sense. The only reason they picked it, was the fact that it was there infront of them. They didn't have to do any work.
If they were born in the middle east, they would of been a muslim.
If they were born in India (or other areas in asia) they would of likely been Hindu, or Buddhist.

It's all about the convinient answers. It doesn't matter whether the answers are right, they don't really care about truth. If they really cared about truth they would have critically examined their religion and compared it to others.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Please put your sociologist and anthropologist hats on...

1st There are MANY different varieties of Christianity, so this is not necessarily a question of denomination.

But no matter the tradition... Christianity is used to gain greater control of more independent societies.

I just watched a show about the Vikings, and Christianity was used by the Vikings in Greenland and Newfoundland to maintain a greater order than was typical of these people.

What is it about Christianity, that applies to not only the conversions in Europe, but also in Iceland, Greenland, and New Foundland.

Why do peoples adopt it so ?

Please no theological answers...

[edit on 14-5-2009 by HunkaHunka]

To be honest, I think the theology has quite a bit to do with it, dude, but you've asked for us to preclude theological answers, so... the only other major contributing factors I can think of are Rome and Evangelism.

Rome was effectively the centre of the world when Christianity emerged, and continued to be so up until the time Constantine adopted it as his religion and, subsequently, it became the "official" religion of the Roman empire. Being the hub of fashion that it was, and a state which lead the way in so many other fields (technology, medicine etc) much of Europe would have adopted it simply because the Romans did. We're talking a process that spanned quite a few decades, though.

The second factor, Evangelism, is also significant in my mind. The old folk religions of Europe were tribally or racially centred, and virtually none of them called for their subscribers to proselytise to outsiders about the faith. Christianity was very different in this regard and I think that the fact that one of its most basic tenets is for Christ's followers to go and "fish" for men led to its expansion. Hell, there were whole orders of monks whose sole task was to preach Christianity to foreigners. These are some of the guys who effectively converted some of the Scandinavian and Celtic countries. Those monks really got around. In fact, the earliest settlement in Iceland is supposedly not a Viking settlement, as one would think, but a cloister for Christian hermits! (OK, so these particular guys - hermits - weren't seeking to evangelise, but you get my point about how far and wide the early Christians travelled).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join