It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

What is it about Christianity?

page: 1
5
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Please put your sociologist and anthropologist hats on...

1st There are MANY different varieties of Christianity, so this is not necessarily a question of denomination.

But no matter the tradition... Christianity is used to gain greater control of more independent societies.

I just watched a show about the Vikings, and Christianity was used by the Vikings in Greenland and Newfoundland to maintain a greater order than was typical of these people.

What is it about Christianity, that applies to not only the conversions in Europe, but also in Iceland, Greenland, and New Foundland.

Why do peoples adopt it so ?

Please no theological answers...

[edit on 14-5-2009 by HunkaHunka]




posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
It's attribution. It introduces the idea that the world is just, and that humans suffer because Adam and Eve rebelled and brought sin into the world. It allows them to believe that there will eventually be justice, and that they will be the victor.

edit: I should also note that eastern beliefs provide attribution through the concept of karma.

It gives them answers, although not very good ones IMO.

There are others who enjoy feeling righteous, Christianity also provides that.

[edit on 14-5-2009 by Miraj]



posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj
 


You're living in the last generation. That's simply put. You'll get all the proof you want. Then you can decide. People won't experience Jesus or God if they don't dispel the doubts from their mind.

As far as I'm concerned Christianity will dwindle down soon much to all your enjoyment.



posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchtheashes
reply to post by Miraj
 


You're living in the last generation. That's simply put. You'll get all the proof you want. Then you can decide. People won't experience Jesus or God if they don't dispel the doubts from their mind.

As far as I'm concerned Christianity will dwindle down soon much to all your enjoyment.



This is true, there will come a great falling away and the world will be left to the mercy (if there could be any) of the Godless. With no morality to hold them in check, they will hasten their own destruction. I'm glad Jesus found me before the end came.

[edit on 14-5-2009 by Fromabove]



posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Christianity.... ah.. yes... Christianity... What is it about Christianity that draws people to it. Possibly that one can find peace and forgiveness through Christ. Or maybe because it offers one true freedom whereas everything else is mere vanity and emptiness. Yes... Christianity, that one belief that to this day still gets under the skin of the Godless, the atheist, and the infidel alike.



posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchtheashes
reply to post by Miraj
 



As far as I'm concerned Christianity will dwindle down soon much to all your enjoyment.






posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I've ruminated on this before. Specificually, looking at history, we find a very dogmatic attempt by Christianity to dominate dark-ages and medieval Europe. There is an almost obsessive desire to stamp out "heresy" and a sense that "there can be only one."

Then compare this to the situation in China, Korea, Southeast Asia, and Japan, where, from ancient times, many different religions (Shinto, numerous different types of Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, etc.) have flourished side-by-side with relatively little conflict. There have indeed been issues related to "heresy" and inter-religious conflict in East Asia, but there is not the overwhelming sense to stamp out all competitors, as with Christianity in Europe.

I think the answer lies in the difference of the relationship between political and spiritual leadership in medieval Asia and medieval Europe. In China and Japan, all religions were accepted provided they explicitly paid homage to and prayed for the emperor. So you have a situation where the political forces directly and explictily exercise authority over the religious forces. In medieval Europe, however, there was more "separation of church and state." The church system was under the control of the pope (and, later, the various Protestant sects) and these systems often came into conflict with the kings and royalty of Europe, over issues of money, taxes, landholding, etc. Because the political forces could not impose control over the religious forces, you have a more chaotic, competitive system where there is more anxiety about maintaining stability within Christianity and thus more of an emphasis on stamping out "heretical" rivals.



posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by chapter29
 


You're going to regret making fun of my Savior and I'm only going to say that much.

We get the brunt of everything and more than ever we will now. I know this to be truth and I get ridiculed for it. Jesus was not some crazy man that committed suicide on a cross, He has the gift of eternal life for all of us. Why does no one want that?

"Oh there is something not average about this world, oh well I'm going to go watch American Idol now." That is how the world is today and it must end. Especially here in America. In fact I'm afraid living here. America will get the worst of it.



posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Please put your sociologist and anthropologist hats on...

But no matter the tradition... Christianity is used to gain greater control of more independent societies.


[edit on 14-5-2009 by HunkaHunka]


No Christianity is not used to gain control of independent societies. Christianity is about the love of God. He gave up his only son for you, and you call him a tyrant. you're pretty much sodomizing Christ with your Pro atheist agenda.

Your going to regret your actions!

[edit on 14-5-2009 by 2012_the_truth]



posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I don't know how many times I have to say it or the "powers that be" have to say it. The biggest conspiracy of every single one is to keep humanity unaware of the truth of the Bible. I could be a fact-based observer with no previous religious affiliation and see that doing enough research.

I don't go around calling atheists nuts. I know they're not nuts. I simply try to explain the truth of the Bible. Why must the Bible be wrong? The governments that hide stuff are fine, but Christians must be wrong. Do you not notice the politicians are into the occult? Worship Satan? Our own Statue of Liberty is a big Babylonian goddess statue. That's horrible.



posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2012_the_truth

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Please put your sociologist and anthropologist hats on...

But no matter the tradition... Christianity is used to gain greater control of more independent societies.


[edit on 14-5-2009 by HunkaHunka]


No Christianity is not used to gain control of independent societies. Christianity is about the love of God. He gave up his only son for you, and you call him a tyrant. you're pretty much sodomizing Christ with your Pro atheist agenda.

Your going to regret your actions!

[edit on 14-5-2009 by 2012_the_truth]


Wow... I'm simply relaying what history teaches about how the Vikings used Christianity. And you really laid into me. Who called anything a Tyrant?

Wow...



posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka
 


That was the Vikings fault then, not any of the Christians. I'm don't even call myself a Christian I simply follow Yeshua and the Old Testament. I'm not a tyrant either you'll get to see a tyrant soon enough. People using Christianity to conquer is of their own accord. Just look at the Crusades.

[edit on 5/14/2009 by watchtheashes]



posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
"A great falling away" is inevitable, the smarter We get the more we understand the fallacy's of the bible. Great falling away? i tend to think of it as the nearing Great age of enlightenment. I have to admit tho i think all religions are intertwined with the evolution of man's consciousness. there time will come and there time will pass and evolve like everything else in this tiny galaxy.




posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchtheashes
reply to post by Miraj
 


You're living in the last generation. That's simply put. You'll get all the proof you want. Then you can decide. People won't experience Jesus or God if they don't dispel the doubts from their mind.

As far as I'm concerned Christianity will dwindle down soon much to all your enjoyment.


There is no proof for it. I've looked for the proof, and it was not found. I've experienced God just fine without you and your ilk trying to tell me you have the only way. Deal with it, there is no one way, and you are just brain washed.



posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchtheashes
reply to post by chapter29
 


You're going to regret making fun of my Savior and I'm only going to say that much.




Everyone take note here. Remember when I reffered to some Christian's just in it for the righteous cause? Well I don't even have to reference any, because our friend here was kind enough to boast their insane views and prove my point.



posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove
 


I'm afraid the only great falling you will ever see is the shock of the fact that you were wrong.

I'm just glad my common sense saved me from my Super Ego.

[edit on 14-5-2009 by Miraj]



posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj
 


We are simply living in very interesting times. Christ Himself will be seen by all eyes that are alive at His return.

Matthew 24:30 "And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory."

Revelation 1:7 "Behold, he comes with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen."

Here in the Old Testament also.

Daniel 7:13 "I kept looking in the night visions, And behold, with the clouds of heaven One like a Son of Man was coming, And He came up to the Ancient of Days And was presented before Him.

Do you know why they are going to wail because of Him? He will come back and people will feel so horrible they did not accept Him. For that reason people who don't accept Him when He does come will get the Wrath of the Lamb. Its a just punishment if you're rejecting when He is before your eyes.



posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by watchtheashes
 


I don't have a super inflated ego alright? I'm just offering this idea that perhaps the Bible is not just another book. Why have all the predictions thus far come true. I've experienced God for myself in the most joyous way. Unfortunately my first experience with God was not all that joyous. I won't go into detail on that, but He came at the right time is all I will say.



posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchtheashes
reply to post by Miraj
 


We are simply living in very interesting times. Christ Himself will be seen by all eyes that are alive at His return.

Matthew 24:30 "And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory."

Revelation 1:7 "Behold, he comes with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen."

Here in the Old Testament also.

Daniel 7:13 "I kept looking in the night visions, And behold, with the clouds of heaven One like a Son of Man was coming, And He came up to the Ancient of Days And was presented before Him.

Do you know why they are going to wail because of Him? He will come back and people will feel so horrible they did not accept Him. For that reason people who don't accept Him when He does come will get the Wrath of the Lamb. Its a just punishment if you're rejecting when He is before your eyes.

You have your mythology mixed up.

Daniel doesn't reference Jesus. He references the Jewish Messiah which is much more like Elijah, and not some son of God figure.

Fortunately if Daniel is right, I will benefit from it to. The Jewish Messiah figure brings Heaven to Earth.

But, you're wrong. It's not the end of the world.

Want to know how I know this? Because even in the bible, people believed Jesus' second coming was nigh. But 2000 years later, he still hasn't come.



posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchtheashes
reply to post by watchtheashes
 


I don't have a super inflated ego alright? I'm just offering this idea that perhaps the Bible is not just another book. Why have all the predictions thus far come true. I've experienced God for myself in the most joyous way. Unfortunately my first experience with God was not all that joyous. I won't go into detail on that, but He came at the right time is all I will say.


I've had my share of spiritual encounters. I've even had dreams of travelling with Jesus himself. Sometimes he shows me great powers, sometimes he does ordinary things like buy food from merchants. But he never says to me "Miraj, you have to believe."

The bible is a nice collection of mythology. That's why I read it, I like mythology.

I was once baptized as a young boy. I believed in God, believed the end was soon. Then I realized as I aged that it wasn't happening. God never bothered to let me know it is real.

If God can't do that for a doubting believer, then maybe they have a reason to doubt.



new topics

top topics



 
5
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join